Sponsored by:

APR 3.4 Stage 1 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 11:59 AM
stancedeuros
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default APR 3.4 Stage 1 Tune

Curious to know what this community thinks about APR. I came from turbo FSI VW world, where APR are the leaders in 'safe and stable' tunes with increased diagnostic functionality via the cruise control stock. I noticed that they had a 3.4 tune/package that included a rather large punch for 999. I don't necessarily care to add any power to my recently refreshed/serviced motor, but I'm always interested in experience of others.

GoAPR Upgrade
Old 11-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by stancedeuros
Curious to know what this community thinks about APR. I came from turbo FSI VW world, where APR are the leaders in 'safe and stable' tunes with increased diagnostic functionality via the cruise control stock. I noticed that they had a 3.4 tune/package that included a rather large punch for 999. I don't necessarily care to add any power to my recently refreshed/serviced motor, but I'm always interested in experience of others.

GoAPR Upgrade

The only large punch will be to your wallet, spend that money on proven parts after searching the forum for idea's.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:47 PM
stancedeuros
Advanced

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
The only large punch will be to your wallet, spend that money on proven parts after searching the forum for idea's.
Fair enough. I was more so fascinated with the idea of proven performance in a single kit for sub $1K with the software that comes with it. Thanks for the input!
Old 11-05-2019, 01:38 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by stancedeuros
Fair enough. I was more so fascinated with the idea of proven performance in a single kit for sub $1K with the software that comes with it. Thanks for the input!
That software tune won't work in a '99 C2 - it has a cable throttle and cannot be software modded. You'd be much better off putting the $$ into various material and component upgrades you can find in this forum.
The following users liked this post:
ttt123 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 01:55 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jobyt
That software tune won't work in a '99 C2 - it has a cable throttle and cannot be software modded. You'd be much better off putting the $$ into various material and component upgrades you can find in this forum.
+1
Old 11-06-2019, 08:40 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,113 Posts

There’s not much to tune on a stock M96 motor, and there isn’t much to gain without improving the whole system. Might as well get a 996tt for the hassle and the money.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:31 AM
stancedeuros
Advanced

Originally Posted by jobyt
Originally Posted by ttt123
+1
Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
There’s not much to tune on a stock M96 motor, and there isn’t much to gain without improving the whole system. Might as well get a 996tt for the hassle and the money.

Thanks Gents! I currently have no more need for power, but I'll read up on the improvements as I'm still new to the 911 platform. I've heard to keep the factory airbox and not fool around with CAI, which is different from all my other 16 vehicles before this one. hah
Old 11-06-2019, 03:31 PM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe softronic is the only one making a tune for the 99'C2. You have to send them the DME and they solder in a new chip.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregcoleman81
I believe softronic is the only one making a tune for the 99'C2. You have to send them the DME and they solder in a new chip.
this question is probably better for the co, but is that chip then tuneable..say at a local dyno?
Old 11-07-2019, 12:54 AM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

VF-Engineering claims they can tune a cable-throttle (DBC) '99 via a programming module. Don't know if that's true but, that's what I was told.

Mike
Old 11-07-2019, 12:55 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Without changes ,, there is no significant tuning gains on the 996,
You need at least a throttle body/plenum,headers.sport exhaust

With a drive by wire throttle youv'e also drawn the short straw as your ECU is
what we refer to as a One Year Wonder, so no profit in setting up to tune it.
its also the oldest version of the 996 ecu family.

Most of the Porsche engines in the 911's are already tweaked pretty well by the factory.
there might be 20 HP in that engine tops that you can get at without the engine physical mods and
it likely will drive things pretty close to the edge. When you consider that your 3.4 is making 1/3 more power than a
3:0 BMW from the same year,, and the amount of power the full monty Dinan kit adds for like 5k+
our not doing too bad.

Cheers ,, enjoy the car!
Old 11-07-2019, 08:45 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

This has been talked about a lot. I have called everyone of those companies listed in this thread some of them more then once because people said they did do it and I called to pin them down on yes or no. NO ONE will tune the 99.. period. Unless its a special favor out side of there company cuz they feel like being nice. Thiers nothing stopping these tuners from doing it from what they all told me. "Ya we can tune them, not complicated about it. but we just don't want to" Why they all feel like that ... I don't know.

I had mine tuned just as such and I was told not to share with anyone who did it as he did not want the business for tuning 99's. According to him I picked up 14 to17 hp ... this really is a waste of money and time trying to find these few people in the states who will tune it. I spent around $600 if I remember right.

I still have the "my genius" tuner thingy if anyone wants .. $50 bucks and its yours.

I then spent about $4k in suspension, short shifter, exhaust, etc. and made the car FUNNER to drive vs faster. now that all the stuff is done, for a quicker 911.. I'm doing the engine swap

Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: APR 3.4 Stage 1 Tune