996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 gets new life

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 07:44 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Did you measure the camber? Don’t necessarily rely on the placement of the slots. If you don’t have a camber gauge, you can do a quick and dirty measure with a bit of flat bar or stick and the measurement app on an iPhone or equivalent Android device.
The following users liked this post:
Nick_L (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 10:37 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Hey, at least they used motorcycle screw style clamps and not the regular ones that chew up the CV boot!
Old 07-14-2020, 01:28 PM
Nick_L
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

The alignment is sorted, it now drives perfectly straight. I found no damage or other things indicating a crash so I guess my shell is produced on a Monday.

Since I got the car I have been doing the trick of pulling the fuel pump fuse(and prime the oil pressure) to reduce the cold start chain rattle. This past week I ordered new chain tensioners and had them installed. First surprise was that my car(built 08/2000) had the newer type of IMS-Crank tensioner (indicating tooth-chain and newer IMS bearing?), so I had to place a new order for the correct tensioner. Good thing, because my back had enough for a couple of days after doing the bank 2.

All the tensioners was completely shot. Bank 1 tensioner came out half depressed. After tapping it 4-5 times on the floor it snapped loose and extended fully.

Today I got the last tensioner installed and I also replaced the worm clamps with Oetiker crimp clamps on the forward CV boots. That went easier than expected. Before starting I need to refill the power steering fluid, but all shops a closed today because of national day. Tomorrow there will be PS refill, engine start and a nice drive.

Old tensioners

Oetiker crimp clamps and tool.

Worm screw weight. That means 18g of un-balance weight per CV boot.

The following users liked this post:
ZerOG (07-14-2020)

Quick Reply: 996 gets new life