996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Build Thread: '99 C2 996 LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2024, 09:19 PM
Deaton
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks sooooooooo sick! Can't wait to hear it!
The following users liked this post:
gtxracer (08-01-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 03:41 AM
circuit.heart
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm curious how a long H-pipe got your exhaust note to go... higher? Typically the only way people really achieve the exotic pitch on LS is 180deg headers or 8-to-1.
Old 08-02-2024, 01:40 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
I'm curious how a long H-pipe got your exhaust note to go... higher? Typically the only way people really achieve the exotic pitch on LS is 180deg headers or 8-to-1.
These are 180 headers

180 headers basically split the banks (there was no merge on my setup) and the firing order is in sequence on each collector, so it sounds like two 4 cyl engines revving together. Adding the H pipe allows each side to resonate on the other bank after the collector, so it sounds higher pitched.
Old 08-03-2024, 01:57 AM
circuit.heart
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by gtxracer
These are 180 headers

180 headers basically split the banks (there was no merge on my setup) and the firing order is in sequence on each collector, so it sounds like two 4 cyl engines revving together. Adding the H pipe allows each side to resonate on the other bank after the collector, so it sounds higher pitched.
I'm retarded, all I had to do was look left at your profile pic that's exactly what I've always wanted in an LS build.
Old 08-03-2024, 12:18 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

lol all good! I’ll post a video next week hopefully. I have a couple 8-1 header designs that I’m looking to finally fabricate and start producing if I can get some preorders. Hoping to sell to the drift and hardcore offroad crowd.

Last edited by gtxracer; 08-03-2024 at 12:21 PM.
circuit.heart (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 10:10 PM
996love
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Sick headers! Too bad they won’t fit the 996….
gtxracer (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 10:59 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996love
Sick headers! Too bad they won’t fit the 996….
Everything fits with a little cutting

kidding…I actually have tried to fit a 8-1 setup in the 996 and it’s even more complex and takes up more room than the 180 setup!
Old 08-04-2024, 12:40 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Needs some soundtracks for sure. I'm looking forward to hearing it rip. It would be awesome to see it in Hood River if you get down this way.
gtxracer (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 11:40 AM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c didy
Needs some soundtracks for sure. I'm looking forward to hearing it rip. It would be awesome to see it in Hood River if you get down this way.
If I’m down that way I’ll send you a PM!
c didy (08-13-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 03:46 AM
M1rage
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 996 Fuel Pump Relay Issue

Hello gentlemen,

read through this entire post to find if there was a resolution to getting the fuel pump to turn on without jumping the relay (without the term x).

I’m using CPEs wiring harness and it doesn’t seem to be triggering the fuel pump, but I can still jump the relay to get the car started…any thoughts? Or should I just run a 12v from the cig lighter to the pin on the relay and call it a day…
Old 08-12-2024, 10:11 AM
Deaton
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by M1rage
Hello gentlemen,

read through this entire post to find if there was a resolution to getting the fuel pump to turn on without jumping the relay (without the term x).

I’m using CPEs wiring harness and it doesn’t seem to be triggering the fuel pump, but I can still jump the relay to get the car started…any thoughts? Or should I just run a 12v from the cig lighter to the pin on the relay and call it a day…

​​​​For the how much the CPE harness costs it should just work plug and play Imo. What does Tyler have to say?
The following 2 users liked this post by Deaton:
gtxracer (08-12-2024), zbomb (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 02:44 PM
M1rage
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Deaton
​​​​For the how much the CPE harness costs it should just work plug and play Imo. What does Tyler have to say?
texted back and forth with him for a good while, but i couldn’t figure out nor he what was the issue. Im fairly sure the signal isn’t getting to the relay or the wrong signal is being used, but everything seems to check out from my perspective I even jumped pin 10 (engine harness) to pin pin 63 (DME) and still no luck. For reference he uses pin 10 on the chassis engine harness side for the signal where he then jumps it from pin 59 (59 - Tuning flap (intake manifold switchover)) at the DME to PIN 63 on the DME which leads to prong 85 on the fuel pump relay.

Digging around I believe this is suppose to be a grounded when key is in the on position but unsure and at this point am willing to just get something together to get this running.
Old 08-12-2024, 03:01 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M1rage
texted back and forth with him for a good while, but i couldn’t figure out nor he what was the issue. Im fairly sure the signal isn’t getting to the relay or the wrong signal is being used, but everything seems to check out from my perspective I even jumped pin 10 (engine harness) to pin pin 63 (DME) and still no luck. For reference he uses pin 10 on the chassis engine harness side for the signal where he then jumps it from pin 59 (59 - Tuning flap (intake manifold switchover)) at the DME to PIN 63 on the DME which leads to prong 85 on the fuel pump relay.

Digging around I believe this is suppose to be a grounded when key is in the on position but unsure and at this point am willing to just get something together to get this running.
Hey I got your email as well! I was just about to respond when I saw you commented here. Since this has viewers that might have the same issue, I’ll respond here.

It sounds like you’re using the GM ECU. I used the Terminator X ECU, so the wiring is different but the concept is the same. You want the GM ECU to trigger the fuel pump relay. This is circumventing Tyler’s harness. Sorry this happened to you and you’re dealing with this issue when you bought a plug and play harness that’s supposed to work out of the box. That’s frustrating.

I yanked out the fuel pump relay at the kick panel and spliced into the ground trigger pin at the relay with a ground output trigger on the Terminator X. You would also do this with a on/off switch if you don’t have an easy trigger from the GM ECU for the fuel pump. You’d still use the OEM relay in that case, just splicing in a manual ground with a switch.

For a quick fix, you can jump the relay with a jumper that has a built in fuse across the pins at the relay.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes!
zbomb (08-12-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 12:05 AM
M1rage
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by gtxracer
Hey I got your email as well! I was just about to respond when I saw you commented here. Since this has viewers that might have the same issue, I’ll respond here.

It sounds like you’re using the GM ECU. I used the Terminator X ECU, so the wiring is different but the concept is the same. You want the GM ECU to trigger the fuel pump relay. This is circumventing Tyler’s harness. Sorry this happened to you and you’re dealing with this issue when you bought a plug and play harness that’s supposed to work out of the box. That’s frustrating.

I yanked out the fuel pump relay at the kick panel and spliced into the ground trigger pin at the relay with a ground output trigger on the Terminator X. You would also do this with a on/off switch if you don’t have an easy trigger from the GM ECU for the fuel pump. You’d still use the OEM relay in that case, just splicing in a manual ground with a switch.

For a quick fix, you can jump the relay with a jumper that has a built in fuse across the pins at the relay.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes!
Hmmm, it appears CPEs harness is already sending a ground signal to the relay and I am not up to diagnosing the harness (or chassis) at the moment so I used the power switch source from the cellphone harness in the dash.

thanks for the clarification; will let you know what transpires when I deep dive into the harness.

to be clear CPE has provided great quality parts this far and cannot blame them for the harness as I’m unsure if it’s chassis side or not. The wait time was atrocious took 10 months to get my entire wiring kit…
gtxracer (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 08:50 AM
kmaginn
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley Wiring

I am about to undertake making a harness for my 2001 carrera 4 and plan to use the Holley Terminator Maxx. Did you ever figure out how to get the AC control to work with the snowflake switch? I have spent days browsing forums, and there seems to be several way to send the coolant temp, oil pressure, and tach back to the DME but I would like to do this once and not butcher the stock Porsche harness several times. Do you have any guidance on what’s needed to merge the Holley harness and stock harness?

It seems the cpe harness uses the revcan2 module to handle the AC request for the GM Ecu, but at $400, I believe the Holley should be able to control this without the extra expense. The PWM signal from the snowflake seems to be an issue in the factory DME to work with the swap. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Build Thread: '99 C2 996 LS1 Swap