Build Thread: '99 C2 996 LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 02:52 AM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
nice wrap! wow.

good to see you moving forward, and with a house move too. I guess I need to drink more coffee.
thanks! It turned out very good and I’m happy with it. It looks even better in the sun.

I don’t make progress as quickly as I used to. I lost some of my motivation for wrenching. Too much working on the cars and not enough behind the wheel. Thankfully this project is almost done!
Old 04-27-2024, 08:38 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Well I took a gamble…and lost.

I was planning to roll the fenders and install adjustable arms. At this point, I don’t want to keep dumping cash into the car and I want to start enjoying it. This means I just want to bolt on the wheels and tires and not have to deal with massaging the suspension or fenders.

The 2.5” lips on the rear are about 1/2” too far out. I could pull them in with camber and roll the fenders and they would probably barely tuck. Instead of going that route, I’m going to find some 1.5” lips that’ll let the tires tuck under the rear fenders without rolling or camber adjustments.

If someone sees a better way to fix the current problem (ie my mistake lol), please let me know. Otherwise this is the plan.

Anyway…here’s some pics with the giant NT555s that I am also on the fence about.

The following 2 users liked this post by gtxracer:
circuit.heart (05-02-2024), zbomb (04-28-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 09:10 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Holy rubber Batman! I love it. No one can say you didn't send it big. You can back off a bit and still have plenty. I think you are right, Smart to do something that doesn't require a whole lot of Massage to work. Maybe cup sizes? The car really looks great with that wrap too.
The following users liked this post:
gtxracer (04-28-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 09:43 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Car looks great. I love that color. I have had about 5 VW Corrados painted that color.
Those tires though... reminds me of my buddy's 71 Le Mans in high school.
gtxracer (04-28-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 09:47 PM
allcool
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 173 Posts

Very nice, wrap looks great as does all the rest of the car. Tires look like a match to your LS engine. You're probably going to need all that rubber....
gtxracer (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 08:15 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,461 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Is the problem the lip of the offset? Looks like u got a turbo car spec.

@zbomb Probably has the correct part numbers?
Old 04-28-2024, 05:12 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Holy rubber Batman! I love it. No one can say you didn't send it big. You can back off a bit and still have plenty. I think you are right, Smart to do something that doesn't require a whole lot of Massage to work. Maybe cup sizes? The car really looks great with that wrap too.
lol yeah a bit too much. Maybe I’ll run them for now. Definitely going to put in a smaller lip first. Thanks! I love the wrap.

Originally Posted by theprf
Car looks great. I love that color. I have had about 5 VW Corrados painted that color.
Those tires though... reminds me of my buddy's 71 Le Mans in high school.
Thank you, I love this color! The tires are…Nicki Minaj thicc.

Originally Posted by allcool
Very nice, wrap looks great as does all the rest of the car. Tires look like a match to your LS engine. You're probably going to need all that rubber....
Haha thank you! I definitely could use the bigger contact patch.

Originally Posted by MitchelRun
An accurate measurement on the lv3 from the crank center line to the top of the intake would be helpful.
What’s this in reference to? That’s a pretty easy measurement in CAD for LS engines.

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Is the problem the lip of the offset? Looks like u got a turbo car spec.

@zbomb Probably has the correct part numbers?
yeah lip offset is the issue. It’s more of a turbo spec for sure because I was pushing the limits. Probably should’ve gone with a 2.0” lip and adjustable upper control arms. I think a 1.5” lip will make it a lot easier to just bolt them on. I can run a 5mm spacer later if I want to roll the fenders or something. Maybe I’ll revisit this later to max out the offset but right now I want things to work well and easily. Jason did help me a bit but he can’t stop me from making a bad decision
Old 04-28-2024, 10:52 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Good looking wheels for sure. So, at the other end, what do you think about the front fitment ? Looks like it's pretty good in the photos.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:41 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Good looking wheels for sure. So, at the other end, what do you think about the front fitment ? Looks like it's pretty good in the photos.
Thanks! Yeah, the front fits very well, I kind of glossed over that. I'm very happy with the front offset.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:24 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Couple more shots with the aggressive fit, just for fun.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:41 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Installed the Ohlins this past weekend. It wasn’t nearly as difficult as I thought, it went smoothly. These are probably the original struts…bump stops are basically gone. Car rides stiffer but tighter and it feels smoother at speed. I need to back out the clickers and I’m waiting on clicker extensions before I button up the rear deck area.

I need to get a few more things finished and then the car will be “done” for quite a while. I’m looking forward to not working on it and actually enjoying myself a bit. Almost there…

Last edited by gtxracer; 05-14-2024 at 05:50 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by gtxracer:
996love (05-15-2024), dcdrechsel (05-14-2024), De Jeeper (05-14-2024), JohnCA58 (05-14-2024), zbomb (05-15-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 04:18 AM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Went to my first cars and coffee with the new lips on the Fikse wheels and some temporary tires. The car drives really well and only large bumps are somewhat abrupt on full soft settings for the Ohlins. I think I need new TREs and dogbones perhaps but that’s all.

Prepped the barrels with a scotch brite wheel on my 4.5” angle grinder. Makes quick work of removing the silicone and prepping the sealing surfaces.

I still have a few things to get done on the car before I declare it “done” for the time being. The to-do list:

-Install passenger Recaro and sliders
-Finish AC wiring
-Install subwoofer box
-Mount subwoofer level **** in gt3 delete bezel
-Ceramic tint
-Exhaust crossover
-Wing hold down brackets
-Intake heat shield
-TRE replacement
-Replace micro switches in the door handles
-Alignment and corner balance
-Wash and ceramic coating

Cars and coffee

I think this is my favorite picture of the car to date.

Last edited by gtxracer; 05-19-2024 at 04:21 AM.
zbomb (05-19-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 04:26 AM
996love
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gtxracer

What are most people using for a 4" clamp on style cone or cylinder air filter? K&N is not my preferred choice and Uni Filter is mostly for off road. Paper filters are my preference but wanted to ask if there's been a change in the industry recently for street applications.
aFe Power makes universal style filters that don’t need oiling.

I really like the color of your car. It’s eye-catching and majestic.
gtxracer (05-19-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 12:47 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gtxracer
Went to my first cars and coffee with the new lips on the Fikse wheels and some temporary tires. The car drives really well and only large bumps are somewhat abrupt on full soft settings for the Ohlins. I think I need new TREs and dogbones perhaps but that’s all.

Prepped the barrels with a scotch brite wheel on my 4.5” angle grinder. Makes quick work of removing the silicone and prepping the sealing surfaces.

I still have a few things to get done on the car before I declare it “done” for the time being. The to-do list:

-Install passenger Recaro and sliders
-Finish AC wiring
-Install subwoofer box
-Mount subwoofer level **** in gt3 delete bezel
-Ceramic tint
-Exhaust crossover
-Wing hold down brackets
-Intake heat shield
-TRE replacement
-Replace micro switches in the door handles
-Alignment and corner balance
-Wash and ceramic coating

Cars and coffee

I think this is my favorite picture of the car to date.

That really came together well. I think many people would have gone with gold wheels, and I would have back in the day but this looks much better. Your car deserves some more good pictures to do it justice. Looks like it will really show nicely.
The following 2 users liked this post by c didy:
gtxracer (05-19-2024), vale46 (05-19-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 02:41 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996love
aFe Power makes universal style filters that don’t need oiling.

I really like the color of your car. It’s eye-catching and majestic.
hey thanks! I’ll look at aFe. And thanks for the kind words. This color is more and more amazing every day. Majestic is a great word for it. lol

That really came together well. I think many people would have gone with gold wheels, and I would have back in the day but this looks much better. Your car deserves some more good pictures to do it justice. Looks like it will really show nicely.
Thank you! Gold BBS e88s were my first choice but I realized everyone does that and it’s kind of played out. This was the harder path and looks a bit more unique.

I’m going to join Avants and buy the deluxe package that includes a photoshoot with my car. I think that’s the best bang for my buck.
circuit.heart (05-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Build Thread: '99 C2 996 LS1 Swap