Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replacing engine mounts - raise to "final location"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 04:42 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Replacing engine mounts - raise to "final location"?

The workshop manual says to raise the engine to its "final location" before attempting to tighten the engine mount bolts, but I cannot find guidance on where this final location should be. Is there a clearance measurement reference point for the proper mounting height of the engine?
Old 10-21-2019, 04:59 PM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I jacked up the engine slowly until I felt the weight that it almost started to raise the car. I screw in the bolt by hand until tight. Release the jack and saw no drop or movement. I tighten up the the torque spec and done. The only thing is make sure the square part of the bolt matches and go into the square part of the carrier.
The following users liked this post:
808Bill (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,113 Posts

I measured how much clearance there was on top of my engine (the manifold) and hoses essentially before replacing the motor mounts. I lifted the engine a few inches until there was almost no space left, and nothing was being pinched.

And that’s where I left it while replacing the mounts.

It was only after I tightened the mounts that I let it back down again. The engine assembly weighs maybe 400-500lbs, so when jacking it up, the car will raise up several inches because the weight of the engine is enough to cause the suspension to compress on its own.

I also put jack jack stands as a safety precaution if the jack failed. Use wooden blocks on the bottom of the engine case (oil sump plate).
Old 10-21-2019, 07:29 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by marlinspike
The workshop manual says to raise the engine to its "final location" before attempting to tighten the engine mount bolts, but I cannot find guidance on where this final location should be. Is there a clearance measurement reference point for the proper mounting height of the engine?
That's a little confusing. The bolts (inside the engine compartment) should be tightened with the engine ever so slightly below it fully raised position. Then the engine should be raised to the point where the car just begins to lift as a single unit (the engine support is in contact with the underside square of the engine mount). At this point the nuts under the car should be torqued to spec. These nuts should have already been snugged into position to draw the support up along the mount stud.

What I've stated may add more confusion. You might want to find the other thread by optionman1 where a link to the Pelican article is given. They may or may not agree with my suggestion, but if you can, it's always good to make gradual steps in tightening things.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 10-21-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 256 Posts

It's really pretty straightforward. Only thing to be aware of is the square part rogazilla mentioned.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:55 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

I too was confused before attempting this job but it all makes sense during/after

Quick Reply: Replacing engine mounts - raise to "final location"?