Sponsored by:

just bought Passport 8500 & V1 ->

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:37 PM
yellowbmr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought Passport 8500 & V1 ->

most likely will send back the Passport & keep the V1.
i have not got the v1 yet, i have the passport, and it's really ugly looking, i willl compare side by side.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:43 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the V1 is the better detector for sure. i've never heard anything but good things about them! more expensive than everybody else? sure, but in the long run they're cheaper because the save you from more tickets and higher insurance costs.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:25 PM
NiveK
Racer

the V1 is not better, and alot of people have had them side by side including me, the V1 detects X better, in other words it falses alot more, thats the only diffrence in the two besides the arrows on the V1, which alot of people prefere, their range is almost identical with the passport doing better "for me anyways" in where it counts, the ka and K bands
Old 02-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I guess everyone has a different opinion, but I have 3 V1s, the 8500 and that cordless one (solo or whatever made by Passport) my wife wanted. The 8500 now sits in its box. I bought it in a hurry right after we got the Cayenne before a trip because my V1s were hardwired and I did not have time to order another V1. Waited til last minute as usual. I used the 8500 for about a month and ordered another V1. Did not like it for coverage and volume drop off issue. Tried to pawn the 8500 off on my wife and she went and bought the cordless deal so I guess she did not like it too much either.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I guess here we go again .

If you think the Passport looks ugly, wait 'til you get the V1. It's the ugliest of the whole bunch.

I agree with NiveK. As far as performance goes, the Passport is better. I've heard so many stories about exceedingly high false alarms on the V1. The Passport has been sure and reliable, and has saved me multiple times. If the Passport goes off, you slow down. That's all there is to it.

For an extra $100.00, you get the arrows, the unusual looking angular detector, and the extra false alarms. You decide if it's worth it.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:18 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V1 ugly? nah - form follows function.
now...where have i heard THAT before?!
the V1 is a nice piece. i have two. swear by em.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:28 AM
SorTurbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am a FORMER passport 8500 user as well. I too used to swear by it. My purchase of the V1 wasn't really thought out. Figured I would give it a shot because it can't hurt. The V1 offers at least as good protection as the Passport, but you also get the additional sense of direction and counters (definately worth the $100 dollar premium) so that 1. it is easier to judge whether the alarm is a false 2. the bogey counter gives you an intelligent driving experience (don't have to stop for signs or in the counter case, just because the Passport goes off where you know there is a sign doesn't mean that a cop isn't sitting under the sign with his gun on) 3. you can moon the cop as you pass .

Put simply, going from the Passport to the V1 may not seem that different, but I wouldn't dare go from the V1 to the Passport - I would just feel naked on the road. Use the V1 and then try the Passport - that is the only way to know.

Also in regards to the falses, who cares about a couple extra beeps when you are getting better protection. I would much rather my V1 annoy me occasionally (it doesn't really) than get a ticket.

I sold my Passport to my friend for $100(what a friend eh?) but I am still trying to convert him to a V1...
Old 02-25-2004, 12:36 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The arrows are key...

Yep. The V-1 falses like nuts on X-band even with max filtering on. K and Ka range is incredible and the X-band is defeatable.

The arrows greatly enhance your ability to pick out the smokies and reduce your chances of getting zinged. Tracking 2 bogies with constant signal strength means the source could be in front of you, behind you, or both while traveling at the same speed. With the V-1, you know exactly where they are coming from and can plan accordingly.

Sensitivity between the 8500 and V-1 are comparable depending on what you read. It's the arrows that set the V-1 apart IMHO...
Old 02-25-2004, 12:46 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

The arrows and the numbers do it for me. X band doors always hit in mutliples of 2 with weak and side oriented signals. If you get a hit and see 2 or 4, its a door. Now if it hits 3, you better look a little closer. Also, doors and Xband junk will hit with a weak signal from the side pretty quick. You then know it ain't a cop. The best feature of them all though is that rear arrow especially when unmarkeds come up behind you quickly from a distance. After using the V1 since 1998, I tune out the falses and can immediately tell by the signal strength, the arrows and numbers if it is something to worry about. Not so with the others.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:58 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just recently, I tracked 3 bogies... 2 K-band and 1 Ka-band. 2 in front and one behind closing in all visible within probably 1/2 mile. In addition to showing direction, the arrows also indicate which signal is the strongest and thus demands the most attention. Without arrows, you don't know where to look.

Another time I was tracking K-band in front. Then, I got a blip of K from the rear (weak). I kept constant speed closing in on the front signal when all of the sudden the rear arrow indicated greater strength. A trooper blew by me and over the next hill, both sources were in front of me.

Range is good, but range with directional cues is even better.

Cheers!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by Palting
I guess here we go again .

If you think the Passport looks ugly, wait 'til you get the V1. It's the ugliest of the whole bunch.

I agree with NiveK. As far as performance goes, the Passport is better. I've heard so many stories about exceedingly high false alarms on the V1. The Passport has been sure and reliable, and has saved me multiple times. If the Passport goes off, you slow down. That's all there is to it.

For an extra $100.00, you get the arrows, the unusual looking angular detector, and the extra false alarms. You decide if it's worth it.
Oh man I was going to say the same thing... the V1 is really hideous looking.

The V1 is better at X band long range so if you have many patrols out there using X then get the V1, however, in the NYC area it's hardly used at all so I disabled it on my 8500 and my SRX install.

BTW - you can program the 8500 so the volume doesn't drop off, it's really simple. The 8500 will also show you multiple bands simultaneously and which has the strongest single, however, it doesn't show direction.

Rob
Old 02-25-2004, 10:35 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I have my 8500 setup to track multiple targets and strengths, a nice feature. The 8500 works very well and has saved me many times.

BTW this topic is right up there with "H&R springs vs RoW 030" and "what exhaust sounds better PSE or Fabspeeed".......Perhaps it's time for a FAQ section like the 993 board.

Last edited by DJ 996; 02-25-2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:59 AM
BooBoo996
Intermediate

Default V1 is the the ultimate

It’s all about SA, that’s situational awareness. The V1 gives you that with a bogey counter and rough azimuth. No other radar detector even comes close.

Can’t even comprehend flying my F-14 with the RHAW gear just going “beep”

Walt (former F-14 pilot)
Old 02-25-2004, 12:02 PM
ryce
Instructor

I've got both. Each does certain things better. One place the 8500 excels is quick ID of the band. From the tone, you immediately know if you are dealing with Ka, K or X. In addition, the LED tells you which band you have acquired. Sometimes, you only have a moment to react to Ka or lidar. With the V1, the leds do not tell you what band you have acquired, particularly at night. The arrowa are nice however. I've been using the 8500 for years ans know it well. Its only weakness is the absence of arrows. I've had the V1 for a month or so and am getting used to it. Currentlyl, the 8500 is in my 996 and the V1 is in my Xterra, which I drive more this time of the year. This is partly so I can become familiar with the V1.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: V1 is the the ultimate

Originally posted by BooBoo996
It’s all about SA, that’s situational awareness. The V1 gives you that with a bogey counter and rough azimuth. No other radar detector even comes close.

Can’t even comprehend flying my F-14 with the RHAW gear just going “beep”

Walt (former F-14 pilot)
OK, now we're comparing radar detectors to F-14 instruments. Don't make me mod my 04 C4S with two 40mm Bofors cannons and an AN/ASD-5 Black Crow Direction Finder Set to find the emissions of the ignition system of other cars... The new Porsche Spectre. Would make traffic a thing of the past.

Quick Reply: just bought Passport 8500 & V1 ->