996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever dispute cellphone ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:11 PM
speedy g
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever dispute cellphone ticket?

Got pulled over in NY this weekend in my C4S for having a cell phone to my ear in the car. $90 ticket.

I guess that's an example of the car drawing some unwanted attention, since I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't been looking at it to start with.

Anyone ever dispute one of those?
Old 02-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry, your done. Just pay it and get a hands free kit or ear phone for your phone.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:13 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Is it a moving violation or just a fine?
Old 02-23-2004, 03:20 PM
SickG35coupe
AutoX

WOW that really sucks! Luckily here in Ohio they haven't passed the "no cell phone while driving law yet"
Old 02-23-2004, 04:36 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wish that it was a violation here in California!!

Cell phones = distracted drivers
Old 02-23-2004, 05:49 PM
LanceK
Pro

I got one over the summer. The explanation I got was that if you have a phone within 6 inches of your head you're liable for a ticket. Regardless of whether you were talking, listening to your voicemail or the phone was turned off. It's kind of bogus but then again I can't stand the people who are distracted while driving.

I use an earpiece while driving...$14 at Best Buy.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Gery NJ
Racer

pay and get headset. How can you fight it?
Old 02-23-2004, 06:38 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry for the ticket, but I agree that driving and cell phone use just do not mix.

Association between cellular-telephone calls and motor vehicle collisions.
Redelmeier DA - N Engl J Med - 13-FEB-1997; 336(7): 453-8
From NIH/NLM MEDLINE

NLM Citation ID:
9017937 (PubMed)
97160922 (MEDLINE)

Comment:

N Engl J Med. 1997 Feb 13;336(7):501-2
PubMed ID: 9017945

Full Source Title:
New England Journal of Medicine

Publication Type:
Journal Article

Language:
English

Author Affiliation:
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, ON, Canada.

Authors:
Redelmeier DA; Tibshirani RJ

Abstract:
BACKGROUND: Because of a belief that the use of cellular telephones while driving may cause collisions, several countries have restricted their use in motor vehicles, and others are considering such regulations. We used an epidemiologic method, the case-crossover design, to study whether using a cellular telephone while driving increases the risk of a motor vehicle collision. METHODS: We studied 699 drivers who had cellular telephones and who were involved in motor vehicle collisions resulting in substantial property damage but no personal injury. Each person's cellular-telephone calls on the day of the collision and during the previous week were analyzed through the use of detailed billing records. RESULTS: A total of 26,798 cellular-telephone calls were made during the 14-month study period. The risk of a collision when using a cellular telephone was four times higher than the risk when a cellular telephone was not being used (relative risk, 4.3; 95 percent confidence interval, 3.0 to 6.5). The relative risk was similar for drivers who differed in personal characteristics such as age and driving experience; calls close to the time of the collision were particularly hazardous (relative risk, 4.8 for calls placed within 5 minutes of the accident, as compared with 1.3 for calls placed more than 15 minutes before the accident; P<0.001); and units that allowed the hands to be free (relative risk, 5.9) offered no safety advantage over hand-held units (relative risk, 3.9; P not significant). Thirty-nine percent of the drivers called emergency services after the collision, suggesting that having a cellular telephone may have had advantages in the aftermath of an event. CONCLUSIONS: The use of cellular telephones in motor vehicles is associated with a quadrupling of the risk of a collision during the brief time interval involving a call. Decisions about regulation of such telephones, however, need to take into account the benefits of the technology and the role of individual responsibility
Old 02-23-2004, 07:32 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SickG35coupe
WOW that really sucks! Luckily here in Ohio they haven't passed the "no cell phone while driving law yet"
i'd change that to say "UNLUCKILY here in Ohio they haven't passed etc etc etc..."

cell phones and driving definitely don't mix. i can't wait until they change the law in massachusetts. i got run off the road by a woman talking on a cell phone. she did a double lane change at 80+ MPH when there weren't even any cars in front of her...
Old 02-24-2004, 02:42 AM
Brian Lopez
Instructor

i second, third, forth, and fifth. everytime i get behind a lollygaging driver, yak yak yak, can't they remember to go at least the speed limit?

Hang up and drive...
Old 02-24-2004, 04:20 PM
pieball
Racer

Do people put that earpiece on like their seatbelt when they enter their car? Don't condone it but it's like walking and chewing gum for me. Just glad they can't see me steering with my knee...
Old 02-24-2004, 11:33 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

My friend was crossing the street in a marked cross-walk and was hit by a distracted driver talking on the cell phone. I really don't see any reason why you would not spend the $20 to buy a headset.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:35 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in a supermarket watching a guy pushing a shopping cart around with one hand, and bumping into people and the isles. Other hand up to his ear with a phone.

Then I bet he got into his car and was just as distracted.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever dispute cellphone ticket?