I am on a long road trip in my car - great driving car but I like a bed
The following users liked this post:
808Bill (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 12:32 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by npatel
Sounds incredible, and no better way to honor someone's memory than by living a life full of memorable experiences. Best case scenario it's a good time, worst case scenario it's a good story.

If only Porsche put the Cayenne Cabriolet concept into production - they would have had one (and maybe only one) buyer

Thank you

I did a lot of tent camping when I was younger, and packing up a dew-wet (and soon dirty) tent every morning was one of the few parts I didn't love (ditto for setting up camp in the dark, but I guess that's less of an issue now that I have a car with me). Still, obvious pros to tent camping, and it makes more sense most of the time.

Ventilation is a good point - sources are mixed on how safe it is to sleep in a closed car (the oxygen level seems more than sufficient, but it's CO2/CO buildup that can be an issue). The current plan is to roll down the rear windows, clip on a rain cover/mesh screen, and a small fan for airflow. Finishing up the window screen covers this weekend.
A plastic garbage bag works well for a damp tent...How long will you battery last with a fan running all night?
Old 09-15-2019, 12:52 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 959 Posts

If you can camp off a motorcycle (I do a lot) you certainly can out of your P car.

I am heading to CO and will camp and fish out of my 911 3.2 Carrera for 10 days.

Small tent, stove and sleeping bag fit in the frunk. Back seat holds clothes and four piece fly rod.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:54 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Go for the tent/pad/sleeping bag option. More practical! Where are you paragliding in CT? Talcott Mountain in Avon/Simsbury? It is a great spot. Love to watch the gliders there on my way home with the top down.

BTW...it isn't just the Great Whites you need to worry about...my bro in law got bumped by a Bull Shark in VA beach last week.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:53 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIrish
Go for the tent/pad/sleeping bag option. More practical! Where are you paragliding in CT? Talcott Mountain in Avon/Simsbury? It is a great spot. Love to watch the gliders there on my way home with the top down.

BTW...it isn't just the Great Whites you need to worry about...my bro in law got bumped by a Bull Shark in VA beach last week.
I think the "Bulls" are more unpredictable...I used to do a lot (a lot) of spearfishing in my younger years and once swam face to face into a 12' Tiger Shark. All I saw was TEETH, lots of TEETH!
MadIrish (09-18-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 11:15 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. Sure, attached pdf file.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
BuildSheet.pdf (2.14 MB, 72 views)
Old 09-25-2019, 10:16 PM
996.1ArenaRed
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newport, RI should get some good swells this fall and no great whites!
Old 09-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

PM me when you plan to be in Ocean City, MD. I might be able to hook you up with a place to stay in one of my condos if they aren't booked.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

On more than one road trip from CA to the mid west and back again I slept in my 996 Turbo rather than get a hotel room.

I moved the seat all the way back lowered the back as far as it would go. Tucked some small pillows along each side, under the small of my back to get me straighter, and under my head and then covered up with a blanket and started counting down from 99 until I fell sleep. Never slept in real hot weather or cold weather. (Did once in my Camaro on I-15 some place in Utah and it was cold. Was tired and had what I thought were enough blankets but woke up after a few hours nearly froze to death. It got *cold* up around 6K feet above sea level in the dead of winter.)

I parked in a safe area and kept the doors locked and the sun roof shut. Had a cell phone with me of course.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:03 PM
npatel
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Mid-Trip Update

Life on the road has been even more beautiful than I thought.

Route: Florida -> Savannah/Tybee Island, GA -> Charleston/Folly Beach, SC -> Outer Banks, NC -> Virginia Beach -> Maryland -> Delaware -> New Jersey -> NYC -> more adventures from there. Staying in NYC to work for a while

Working from the road: ended up being productive. There's something nice about having minimal distractions. Ended up working as much as a normal week, but mainly at night. General schedule was surfing/driving/meetings until 6pm, working until 2am, and repeating the next day.

Comfort: I'd give the car camping setup a 7/10. I did bring a tent, but spent a miserable hour trying to pitch it the first night (concrete under the camping site meant I couldn't get the stakes in, which was an issue for my small backpacking tent). I probably tent camped twice per month when I was younger, and used to be able to do this with my eyes closed. But I love having everything I need in my car instead, ready to go, with no setup or takedown. To each their own, but unless I were staying at a site for multiple days, I don't see myself pitching a tent.

I have a small rechargeable fan and plenty of USB battery packs to keep things powered throughout the night. I can roll down a window and put a mesh screen in if I need more air flow (generally didn't do this because of bugs). Anything under 75F is comfortable inside the car as long as the fan is running - above that gets a little less comfortable, but bearable.

NYC Parking: would highly recommend On Air Parking if you ever need to park in Manhattan. No affiliation with them, but you can get safe parking in lower Manhattan for $15/day. Great customer service as well.

A glimpse of the car camping setup. During the day, the surfboard sits on top of the mattress, and gets moved to the driver's seat at night. The only slightly uncomfortable part is that your feet slope down at the end (even with more pillows in the footwell), so I ended up alternating between putting my feet in the footwell and on the dash at night.

Tybee Island lighthouse. Small, fun waves - perfect start to the trip

Gorgeous drive through the sand dunes on the way to the Outer Banks, NC

Surfing near the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. Lots of swell in the water from Lorenzo at the time (especially because of how far eastward the Outer Banks extend).

Camping in Virginia Beach

Drove to Vermont to do some paragliding - and it got cold! Temps were 28 when we woke up.

Near the paragliding landing site. This is apparently a Toyota with a Ford body grafted on. Sweet!

Paragliding launch site

A friend getting ready to land

Can't get enough of these fall colors

I'll start my trip down south towards the end of next week. Hoping to swing by the Tail of the Dragon and some more scenic routes along the way.
cds72911 (10-12-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 05:32 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 329 Posts

Awesome! The mattress setup doesn't look bad at all.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:28 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow, man. You are really living life right now! Love it. Please keep updating!

Quick Reply: Sleeping in a 996 - Shaped Foam Mattress + Road Trip