Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

re a place to hear focals, cdt in person???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Ken:

Sounds great. The W7 are incredible and I have one in a boat. The other sub to check out because it take less power to drive, a smaller enclosure and the depth is much shorter is the new JLW6v2. It is only $ 349 and I read a recent review of it in CA&E who found it to be best sub they ever tested SQ wise and they had previously tested the W7 as they pointed out.

The JL amps are definitely my favorite for that price range or mid level gear (less than $ 1,000). JL have regulated power supply and impedience correction. They also have very nice and smooth sounding filters which are not common on amps in the $ 500.00 range.

Check out

www.madisound.com

for scan speak and basically all very high end raw drivers from Eton, Morrell, Vifa, and etc. The scan speak revelator tweeters are truly unbelieveable. Their is nothing like them and you cannot imagine what a difference they make until you hear them. The run about $ 280 each if I recall correctly.

I use the 7 inch Dynaudio 170 and the 140 mid range. Dynaudio has an Esotec tweeter that is made by Morrell (on Madisound's web site) that is my second favorite behind the scan speak and cheaper than the scan speak. I think this tweeter is the MD 110 and it is not listed on woofersetc.com. Woofersetc.com does not have the high end Esotec Dynaudio components that run around $ 1,400 a pair.

I have ordered from woofersetc.com and received very good service. I think I had my product the next day one time and like two days the other time I ordered from them.

I used to be a Focal person, but since using Dynaudio, there is no comparison in sound quality. Dynaudio used to only come in funky sizes as does Focal, but Dynaudio now has a 6.5 inch without the huge basket that will fit in most car installations without substantial modifications. I, however, would try to fit the 170s as they have a tremendous low end response and superflat crystal clear mid range.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:04 AM
Ken7258
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SPR & Doug, thanks for the replies. Doug, are you referring to the 8W6 v2 subwoofer. The Dynaudio 170 & 140, are they drop in replacements for what's in my C2 now. I have the hi-fi option which has the mid and tweeter up front on the dash and a 6.5 in the front door lower pod. I don't see a Dynaudio MD110 tweeter. I see a MD130 for $130.00 and a MD 100 for $199.00/piece. I keep forgetting these are per piece and i still need to buy a crossover. I don't want to spend close to 1,000 for the fronts. What Dynaudio comp set do you recommend in the 400-600 range that is better then a comparable Focal comp set that would be a drop in replacement in my 2001 C2. I would think the Dynaudio set would be the 240GT. What do you think of this comp set. How would this compare to the Focal 165 V3E 3 piece set. Thanks for all you help. I really appreciate it.

Ken
Old 02-24-2004, 01:38 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Not sure about 8 inch size. I guess I did hear that there were doing the W7 in an 8 inch. I am sure they would have the v2 in an 8 inch then also and it would be even cheaper.

The 110 tweeters are listed under Morrell at the Madisound website. Morrell makes Dynaudio drivers.

The GT set is the 6.5 inch. Three ways are really nice, but you get so much better tweeters and drivers with Dynaudio. If within your budget, buy the 6.5, the 140 mid and their cheapest tweeter and use an electronic crossover. That will sound leaps and bounds better than the Focals limited by a passive crossover.

I have not heard the GT set and the baskets are little different for fitment issues. This should not affect SQ and they are actually a bit more price than the 170s so they may even be better. I just don't know. I doubt you would be able to tell a difference between the 170s and 6.5s except down low and I am sure you will be crossing at around 90 to 100 so that won't matter. They will be the same there.

One other speaker to consider would be the Rainbows in the same price range. Rainbows actually make a $ 4,000 2 way component set that is the absolute best in car audio. It just goes to show with quality drivers you do not need 3 ways. I have seen the objective testing specifications on these speakers and I have auditioned them. Rainbow's pro line is around the same price range you are looking at now.

Really, you will be happy with all 3 pairs, but the Rainbows and the Dynaudio in the same price range will be a notch above. Speakers are very subjective and some people prefer a U shaped curve as opposed to a flat response and some people prefer a bit of coloration. The Rainbows and Dynaudios are dead flat response and their is absolutely no coloration. They are totally transparent and as accurate as you can get in car audio. Focals do have a bit of coloration except the Utopias are pretty transparent. The tweeter quality is still not as high as it could be though with the TN 51.

Last edited by Doug H; 02-24-2004 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: re a place to hear focals, cdt in person???