Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

re a place to hear focals, cdt in person???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 12:35 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re a place to hear focals, cdt in person???

Hi, I might change my speakers again to a set of those cdt high defnitions as I hear so many great things about them. Is there a place where I can hear then next to focals? I already know where I am going to buy them, downtown la of course for crazy cheap, but I need to make a decision if they are better than the polyglass and the kevlar ones or whatever. thanks. I am also using a 5 channel ppi 5440 on them
Old 02-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There's an installer from Sacramento doing some work around Southern California, they seem to like Focal and will likely have something for you to hear.

www.caraudioinnovations.com
Old 02-19-2004, 08:58 PM
SPR
Drifting

they are out around here right now? I have talked to that guy before and he was pretty cool. Is there a way I can get ahold of him down here?
Old 02-19-2004, 08:58 PM
SPR
Drifting

they are out around here right now? I have talked to that guy before and he was pretty cool. Is there a way I can get ahold of him down here?
Old 02-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Rod Birch <hotrod930@email.msn.com>

(no affiliatiation, yyy, just saw his stuff in a customer's 993 C4S ... the subs look like the goods)
Old 02-20-2004, 01:33 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Rod is coming to LA next week to do installs....I believe he is still in NorCal this week. Perhaps you can meet him at one of his customer installs and hear his work.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:34 AM
SPR
Drifting

I did some online research and just settled on some cdt audio compoents over the old focals-
Old 02-20-2004, 02:20 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

CDT has an interesting Web site. Looks like very high-end audiophile stuff. I'm interested to learn about the rest of the system in your car.

I have MB Q in the doors and a/d/s in the rear shelf. I'm thinking the next step is to delete the rear shelf (near rear shelf) and fill in the bass with subs in the footwells behind each front seat. I have all McIntosh source and amps with optical connections (I think enough clean power to declare the car a hybrid gas/electric vehicle ...) so I'm considering an upgrade to the doors (which would probably require new door panels ... grumble ...)

Still, I've been intently listening to my car audio of late. Aside from the (probably purely psychological) sense of hollow bass, I really can't fault the thing and the Porsche 993 is such a hostile place for music (other than the air-cooled kind ...) Perhaps I'll upgrade the doors just for the sake of it (and the eBay factor...) and that will give me the opportunity to tweak the tuning and fill in the low frequencies.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:55 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Lets see a photo. I thought I was the only one silly enough to do all McIntosh in an air cooled. Used to be Head unit to speakers, but I found their MS670 speakers to be less than desireable so I am back to dynaudio drivers with scan speak revelator tweeters. What head unit and amps. Let me see a pic of your install as I had some room issues up front.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:17 PM
SPR
Drifting

neat, CGT seems to have it going on. I will have the cdt components front, coaxials rear and my jl 10w0 in the box I made that does the whole shelf deal. They are all powered off my ppi 5440 40x4 rms @ 4ohm, way conservatively rated I might add, and the jl is getting something like 250rms @ 2ohm. Unfortunately however it is still getting feed from the stock cr220 with changer. I really wonder again, how much cleaner it would be with a new deck? I just look at it as having to get an additional changer/storage device in conjunction with deck as a cost inhibition etc.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Here is my McIntosh system. I am using electornic crossover and 6 channel amp. I have a McIntosh 302 mono for my sub, but it won't fit hence the PG ZX in there until I build some verticle amp racks. Would love to see how others are installing mutliple amps for space and configuration ideas.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Here's the head unit. The system is now Nirvana. I tried out so many different speakers in their to get the sound right including CDT High Definition, Focal Poly Kevlar 165K2s, Focal Utopia, McIntosh MS 670s and MB QSDs. In fact, I have a picture of all of the drives above sitting on a table because they didn't make the cut. The Dynaudio drivers are incredibe and the scan speak revelator tweeter is the best I have heard, but they are pricey. Sub wise, I had an ID Max, but recently swapped out for a Diamond 12 inch H6 Titanium to obtain a little more accuracy.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Speakers anyone??? I actually have a few pair in the garage also just laying around that were not in photo.

Here is my review of different speakers if interested.

2 sets of CDT High definitions here. They are very transparent and very efficient (loud). The mid range is extremely flat and detailed, but alot of people are probably not used to hearing such a flat response and would prefer a little less in the 500hz to 1k range. The CDTs also drop off around 110 and do not play the low enough for me. I like to set my mids at 80.

Focal Poly Kevlars 165K2s have an aweful factory tweeter, TN 45. The TN 51 with the Utopia are okay. The Poly Kevlars are not extremely transparent and add a little color due to cone material. Kind of like a reverbish sound, but these speakers play very low and will hit hard like a small subwoofer. That is why alot of people like them.

Focal Utopias are very smooth and transparent. Better tweeter than Poly Kevlar. Little drop off in the mid 250 to 505hz and not a lot of low end. Drops around 90 to 100.

McInotsh MS 670s were top fo the line McIntosh and the biggest waste of $ 1,000 I have ever spent. Love their amps and head units though.

MB QSDs, okay. Clear, but harsh tweeter and drop off around 100. Something about them makes them sound as if they are coming from a hole or out of phase just a bit. Hard to explain.

Dynaudio, Morrel and Rainbow are the daddies for mid range speakers.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Ken7258
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug, I'm probably going to put a Focal 165 V3E 3 piece component set in with 2 JL Audio 8W7 subs in a box on the rear shelf of my 2001 C2 coupe. I'm going to drive it with a JL Audio 500/5 amp. What do you think? What Dynaudio set do you use/like. Where did you get them as well as the Scan Speak tweeter. Thanks.

Ken
Old 02-23-2004, 11:29 PM
SPR
Drifting

that sounds like a nice setup check out www.woofersetc.com

Quick Reply: re a place to hear focals, cdt in person???