Sponsored by:

"Porsche " envy ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Gnome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it's all about perception.

When I was a strategy consultant, someone (old-school attorney) gave me a pep talk about "appearances." His point, it's hard to have credibility as a top-tier professional when you drive a 15-year old beater. But it's a fine line -- it doesn't look great when you drive an expensive car on a cost-cutting project where your client might be downsizing a bunch of people.

Likewise, in some places it's viewed as foolish or wasteful if you spend more than you can afford on a fancy car. There's a lot of that here in the Bay Area -- tons of folks bought fancy cars in the boom and then couldn't afford them when everything went bust. So, your credibility can take a hit if people think you drive a car that's "too fancy."

Me, I bought my car just for myself. I've wanted it all my life, and I love driving it. I don't need people to admire me for my car. However, credibility is an important part of my effectiveness in my job, so I don't "advertise" what I drive because some people will jump to the wrong conclusion. My boss knows -- he drives a C4 Cab so we compare notes. Other than that, I really don't want the attention. I avoid telling everyone else because it gets in the way of the real work. I'd rather people know me for what I accomplish, than what I drive.

And then I can go away and have fun driving my car.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:13 PM
TitanL9
Pro

I am in my early 50's and have done well in life since back in the 70's. I spend to much time in my earlier yrs being humble and unassuming by driving fast sedan's and being conservative. But, no matter what I did, somebody was always there to label my lifestyle or person whether I behaved poorly or not. Finally, I said to H*** with those folks that envy or are jealous of others success.

When I was in my late teens to 20's, I always wanted to know what the successful people did that got them their fantastic lifestyles and all the toys they wanted. Not once did I ever envy or knock someone because of their success or possessions. I always wanted to be similar to them at some point in my life. Now, I am there, live in a pvt golf community on a Par 5 green overlooking a valley with a pretty impressive view, drive the car of my choice, have the toys of choice and more importantly...have a great wife and son... I must envy myself...to the point of pinching myself checking to see if I am going to wake up from a dream.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:27 PM
fahren affair
Pro

all good anecdotes.

i live and work in a region where high-end cars are the byword (so. orange county). where i park during the day, it resembles a used exotic car lot with all manner of p-cars, f-cars, and mbz/bimmers galore... in fact, where i park i think driving a 4-yr old 996 is less cool than driving a 993 or 964 (as some attourneys here do). i happen to be in sales and i know when i pull up to a clients office, the p-car helps more often than not. re friends and family, i don't think any of them cared! they probably wondered why not sooner.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Scott 996
Intermediate

Great thread.
Some of your posts got me thinking about another Porsche perception that's out there.....
How many of you more " life experienced" gentlemen have been accused of suffering your mid-life crisis by your possession of a P-car ??
If I'm not mistaken, the movie "Lost in translation " actually makes reference to this...
Exchange went something like this--Young girl (20ish) in bar talking with older guy (50ish)--
He: " I think I'm having my mid life crisis .."
She: " Bought a Porsche yet ?? "

I recall when I purchased my car ( at age 32), having somebody tell me that "at least nobody will accuse you of having your mid life crisis.."
I remember actually thinking " what the F*** is that supposed to mean ??"
I think I finally know now. Most people just don't get it. Probably never will....
Old 02-19-2004, 12:06 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally posted by meridian911
Boy this is a good thread I live in a city of 22000 and my car really sticks out.Im in retail sales and my customers say the same thing we must be paying you to much for your products if you can afford that kind of car.I used to paint houses in the late 80s and would see very wealthy people come home driving porsches and I would say man one day I'm going to be doing that and sure enough after much hard work I'm on my 5th one now these cars are the greatest.

2003 911 c4 meridian metallic
Hey Meridian

when i lived in philly i climbed, rafted, camped, mountain biked in and around the new river gorge....not to mentioned the occasional shopping spree to leggits!!!

go class 6!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 12:11 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally posted by Doug H
... 2 AMG S 500s, E 430, The big new Lexus, the Lexus Coupe, 2 Lexus 470 SUVs, Porsche 996, Landcruisers, Infinity coupes, Landcruisers, new T-Bird, my Porsches, and even the secretaries and runners all have Tahoes, the runners dribe 5 series Bimmers, there is a BMW 745, a large crew Cab deisel with the baseball glove type of interior (King Ranch) and etc. It looks like a high end car lot behind our building. That was one of the things that attracted me to this firm was the cars. I did not want to be in a possesion of being uncomfortable rolling up in my 911s.

Dude looked at the cars and did not ask any more questions about security deposite.
three words:

1)Blig-i-dy
2)Bling
3)Bling!
Old 02-19-2004, 12:20 AM
jbdmd
Pro

My take on perception

2/3 of the people you know forget all about you 2 minutes after you walk away

1/2 of the other 1/3 tend to think you walk on water
the other 1/2 of the 1/3 tend to think you are the devil incarnate

who's is correct? Generally Irrelevant

Above all else, whether you are michael Jackson or Mother Theresa you are the only one who HAS to sleep with you at night so LOVE AND EXCEPT YOURSELF!
Old 02-19-2004, 12:30 AM
rrys
Advanced

Porsche is viewed as an exlusive and expensive car and many people just don't understand or agree with your values. While I see and admire the engineering excellence, others see overpriced transportation. Everyone is entitled to the pursuit of happiness, and driving a car like this makes me happy.

I thought I was the rare one who does not take my car to job sites for fear of being labeled overpaid or extravagent. For me it was one wife, few major financial mistakes, and 25 years working as an Engineer. It's not a great investment, but life is short, and this is one thing I don't regret. Shuttle astronaut Michael Anderson died with a Porsche tatto, but he knew the feeling of driving such a fine machine.

Having traveled to poor countries, it would be impractical to own a Porsche in such a neighborhood. You'd need armed guards 24-7. We are very fortunate to live this way.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:33 AM
Scott 996
Intermediate

I happen to agree with the "accept and love yourself "comment.
The purpose of the thread was purely for pleasure and some light hearted discussion about our experiences owning these cars, not whether or not I should be paranoid about who I am in life...
One can't live on " What wheels look the best on my 911 ? " threads forever, can they ??
Old 02-19-2004, 12:50 AM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

I wish I wasn't so late to this thread, but my story in brief:

I got a hard time from friends and family when I bought my Ocean Blue '00 C2, but they thought it was cool. Then I bought a Seal Gray '02 C2 and really got a hard time! "Wow, that other one was so old and beat up..." "Must be tough getting a new Porsche every 2 years." blah blah blah

So when I bought my Turbo this past November, I got the same color as my previous 996; seal gray again. This way, my non-car friends didn't even notice (or at least most didn't), and my car friends noticed and were pumped for me.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:33 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott 996,
Hit that one right on the nose.
I am approaching 50. Had my 996 almost 4 yrs but still everyone I know refers to it is my mid life crisis. I think the fact is that by the time your 50, your mortgage shuld be approaching closure and if you invested well you should be at a position where you can afford your dream car. As a result you will see many middle aged folk buying them.

Cheers,
Berny
Old 02-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I was 32 when I bought my new 2001 C4, and yes people asked if I was going through a mid-life crissis... I would reply, "I'm going to die at 64? Do you know something I don't"
Old 02-19-2004, 10:12 AM
BostonMarkC
Racer

To summarize this thread, lots of people who don't understand the driving pleasure achieved from these cars follow the old addage...

P-O-R-S-C-H-E = proof only rich suckers can have everything
Old 02-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Scott 996
Intermediate

That's exactly my point. The comment makes no sense rationally. Its just that many normal working folks aren't in the financial position {mortgage, kids, etc..) to afford a car like this for themselves until they reach middle age. Just another form of P-Car envy I think........
Old 02-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Brian Lopez
Instructor

Yea, that's what a friend of mine said too, "you must be having a mid life crisis", he also said "I know you bought that car because you knew that's what I wanted" -- ***.

I guess some people just can't stand it when you're succesful...too bad for him, I think he's a jerk now because of that stuff.

Real friends get stoked for you...

Quick Reply: "Porsche " envy ?