Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Took my car for clutch replacement!

Old 07-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you mean they smeared grease all over the bearing? Did the shop remove the bearing flange and looked at the actual bearing? Also, did you see that the clutch was nothing but metal and all the friction material was blown off or is this just what the shop told you?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:27 AM
TheYoung911
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the clutch, and the area of the engine where you see the outside of the IMS was all black and greasy, they showed me a pic. I neglected to ask for the pic but I'll get it next time im in the area.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:38 AM
parris
User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheYoung911 View Post
In hindsight it was, but the reality is that my car is either getting 1. Sold or 2.Never being driven in 2 months due to me going to college. At this point I'm minimizing expenses. I asked if it was fine and shop felt confident it was good. If I end up keeping the car, then I'll splurge on the LN refit.
You have a higher probability (like 9 to 1) that your car never fail, so... don't let the forums scare you
Old 07-10-2019, 11:47 AM
sweet victory
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the clutch, and the area of the engine where you see the outside of the IMS was all black and greasy, they showed me a pic. I neglected to ask for the pic but I'll get it next time im in the area.
Sounds more like your RMS was just starting to leak oil and that's just dust/dirt stuck to the oily residue.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by sweet victory View Post
Sounds more like your RMS was just starting to leak oil and that's just dust/dirt stuck to the oily residue.
Yup.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

You saw the clutch disk and it had no friction mater left at all? Are you sure it wasn't the flywheel or the pressure plate that they showed you?
Old 07-12-2019, 12:50 AM
joseph mitro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parris View Post
You have a higher probability (like 9 to 1) that your car never fail, so... don't let the forums scare you
agree. no need to pay all the labor again just to replace the IMS bearing. at that point you're getting to diminished returns...either sell the car and take the (perceived) hit in value or keep it and do it next clutch

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: