Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Took my car for clutch replacement! (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1151536-took-my-car-for-clutch-replacement.html)

TheYoung911 07-09-2019 09:28 PM

Took my car for clutch replacement!

My clutch finally gave in, It started slipping a little until the point where even moving the car needed several thousand RPMs. I ended up taking the car to a reputable indy and got a new clutch put in! There was no material left on the clutch, it was essentially a metal disk.I also got a RMS job done and found out one of the previous owner's let someone smear grease all over the IMS bearing :banghead: I assume this is the "hold my beer" version of an IMS fix hehe. Anyways I got that cleaned up and found that I should get new shift cables, as I occasionally have a second gear grinding issue, when my tranny oil was checked it was clean so hopefully that will fix it. I have to say the car feels SOO much better thanks to getting the new clutch! However, it seems that I will need a gym membership since I don't own the million pound clutch anymore! Any recommendations for the cables? I liked the Numeric feel but it might be too pricey. Is it worth the extra cost?

4Driver4 07-09-2019 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheYoung911 (Post 15962583)
one of the previous owner's let someone smear grease all over the IMS bearing

Weird. I would think the engine oil would have washed that away. Musta been some nasty stuff.
Was the seal still in place? Did you leave it or yank it out?

motoo344 07-09-2019 10:56 PM

Had my clutch done just because I was having the IMS/RMS done and they said it was trashed, only 50k miles on it but it sure felt better afterwards.

TheYoung911 07-09-2019 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4Driver4 (Post 15962713)
Weird. I would think the engine oil would have washed that away. Musta been some nasty stuff.
Was the seal still in place? Did you leave it or yank it out?

They think it might have been silicon grease or something, it was really bad like the whole area was black. I got a new RMS put in, asked about the IMS they said it looked fine so no need to do it.

TheYoung911 07-09-2019 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by motoo344 (Post 15962766)
Had my clutch done just because I was having the IMS/RMS done and they said it was trashed, only 50k miles on it but it sure felt better afterwards.

The difference is night and day it feels way better now!

dan_189 07-10-2019 12:33 AM

Did you sort out what let oil into your coolant?

Have no experience with the Numeric cables - although I do plan to buy some soon. I have the shifter and its the only one i'd recommend getting.

808Bill 07-10-2019 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by TheYoung911 (Post 15962883)
They think it might have been silicon grease or something, it was really bad like the whole area was black. I got a new RMS put in, asked about the IMS they said it looked fine so no need to do it.

Seems awfully foolish not to replace the IMSB when they where in there. The grease was obviously washed out if they tried repacking it... I hope it doesn't bite you in the Ass!

TheYoung911 07-10-2019 12:47 AM

In hindsight it was, but the reality is that my car is either getting 1. Sold or 2.Never being driven in 2 months due to me going to college. At this point I'm minimizing expenses. I asked if it was fine and shop felt confident it was good. If I end up keeping the car, then I'll splurge on the LN refit.

TheYoung911 07-10-2019 12:48 AM

Fingers crossed!

TheYoung911 07-10-2019 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by dan_189 (Post 15962948)
Did you sort out what let oil into your coolant?

Have no experience with the Numeric cables - although I do plan to buy some soon. I have the shifter and its the only one i'd recommend getting.

Nope, I've checked coolant diligently, and there was nothing. I think it may not have even been oil, i think 2 different brands of coolant might have gotten mixed up. Still scratching my head, cause the car runs fine and I havent had issues since flushing my coolant.

808Bill 07-10-2019 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by TheYoung911 (Post 15962971)
In hindsight it was, but the reality is that my car is either getting 1. Sold or 2.Never being driven in 2 months due to me going to college. At this point I'm minimizing expenses. I asked if it was fine and shop felt confident it was good. If I end up keeping the car, then I'll splurge on the LN refit.

This makes no sense (to me) as the first question most buyers will ask is if the IMSB has been done. Your clutch should last 60K, that's a lot of time to roll the dice on a bearing that has been monkeyed with already.

spud72 07-10-2019 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheYoung911 (Post 15962883)

There is literally no way to properly inspect a ball bearing like that unless you remove it and disassemble it, which will destroy it.

dan_189 07-10-2019 01:57 AM

Missing the chance to replace the IMS is a bad move and will cost you more in the long run - I have my fingers, toes and anything else I can for you crossed your next thread isn't "I should have replaced my IMS bearing like the internet told me to".

Reading that someone packed the IMS with some sort of lube is a red flag - skimped on the IMS... what other presents has the previous owner left for you...

TheYoung911 07-10-2019 07:52 AM

old candy and a credit card, i assume to help pay for my new IMS :roflmao:

TheYoung911 07-10-2019 08:00 AM

Seeing that I've made a bad mistake, I'll get some money together and take care of the IMS when doing my next round of repairs. I'll be doing shift cables, CV joint, and IMS as of now.