Sponsored by:

Wanting my first Porsche - 996 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Johnny92
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wanting my first Porsche - 996 questions

I’m having a terribly hard time gauging what prices are right for which car. I called about this car today and asked if anything had happened, accidents, rebuilt engine, ect. They said the car is in fantastic shape and the price is right. To be honest, they were nearly taken back at the notion of them selling a “less than desirable” vehicle.

a 50,000 mileage 996 for 23k? I’ll post a link at the bottom.

I am really just trying to figure out the best way to obtain a mid-mileage, reliable 996 (even in automatic). These are old cars. What do I look to avoid? Get a mechanic to get it on a lift, ect?

I am very naive to these salesman and New to this industry. Any help would be great. Thank you

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 07-04-2019, 08:37 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

PORSCHE Indie PPI is the only way to go..
Borescope all 6 cylinders
Oil check, Oil Filter Check, express oil analysis.

Read this forum thoroughly ,, the 996 has some things you need to understand, and
you will want to decide your risk aversion about.

Good maintenance is critical..
Old 07-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,013 Posts

What are your plans regarding a 996? Daily driver? Track? Weekend for fun? Year round vehicle?

Will you be doing maintenance work or paying a indy mechanic?

I’m new to 996s as well, 4 months and 5k miles. Take your time, there are many 996s available. Drive some if you haven’t already. READ this forum!!

Get a good PPI (pre purchase inspection) and be willing to walk away as much as you might love the car if it reveals significant issues. Set a budget with a reserve for immediate repairs and then search the net, review actual sales on bringatrailer.com (great resource for prices), and hopefully you’ll find a nice one.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:52 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Buying a Porsche is NOT like buying a Chevy Impala or a Honda Accord. It needs a proper Pre Purchase Inspection. Due diligence may cost some money up front but will save you potentially tens of thousand in the long run. If you read thru the history of this forum you will see many threads of people who purchased cars that turned out to be someone else's problem that they sold. A bad motor in one of these cars is going to set you back 15k and these previous post will show you how often it happens.

Some people want to see tons of records. I can assure you as a mechanic that the car will tell the story with or without records. Any good mechanic will know a loved car from a pig with lipstick at the beginning of the inspection. The key is to find someone who really knows these cars. Sadly the dealer is not that place in most cases.

At a bare minimum the PPI should cost $300 to $500 and MUST include borescoping the cylinders (looking for cylinder bore scoring) and removing the sump plate to look for metal debris and look for plastic bits from the timing chain guides. Again, read a ton in this forum and you should be N expert enough to know if you have found the "right" mechanic for your PPI.

Last edited by Mbren1979; 07-07-2019 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fracture (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 10:26 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I think that car is correctly priced. Probably no Ims and automatic. Very unique color, aero options and great condition pretty low mileage.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Johnny92
AutoX

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
I think that car is correctly priced. Probably no Ims and automatic. Very unique color, aero options and great condition pretty low mileage.
I’ve only heard reviewers mention the IMS with the 6 speed. Does the automatic need it too?
Old 07-04-2019, 11:30 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny92
I’ve only heard reviewers mention the IMS with the 6 speed. Does the automatic need it too?
Yupp. And its much more expensive on an automatic. Manual trans = trans removal only. Automatic trans = engine and trans removal required to swap IMS bearing.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:28 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny92
To be honest, they were nearly taken back at the notion of them selling a “less than desirable” vehicle.
No salesman worth his laminated business cards would ever admit a car is garbage.

If you're looking at older models, higher mileage is not something to be afraid of. If you plan on driving the car; you want a car that has been driven regularly. Johnny, these cars are not for the feint of heart. They take some keeping on top of. I suggest you start reading a LOT of Rennlist 996 forum, and if you don't get afraid - we are here for you.

$25k will buy you a clean Mk2.

START!
Old 07-05-2019, 02:23 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

https://www.pca.org/news/2017-05-30/...86-gen-boxster

https://rennlist.com/articles/walk-through-a-pre-purchase-inspection-on-a-porsche-911/

Old 07-05-2019, 06:20 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
Buying a Porsche is NOT like buying a Chevy Impala or a Honda Accord. It needa a proper Pre Purchase Inspection. Due diligence may cost some money up front but will save you potentially tens of thousand in the long run. If you read thru the history of this forum you will see many threads of people who purchased cars that turned out to be someone else's problem that they sold. A bad motor in one of these cars is going to set you back 15k and these previous post will show you how often it happens.

Some people want to see tons of records. I can assure you as a mechanic that the car will tell the story with or without records. Any good mechanic will know a loved car from a pig with lipstick at the begining of the inspection. The key is to find someone who really knows these cars. Sadly the dealer is not that place in most cases.

At a bare minimum the PPI should cost $300 to $500 and MUST include borescoping the cylinders (looking for cylinder bore scoring) and removing the sump plate to look for metal debris and look for plastic bits from the timing chaim guides. Again, read a ton in this forum and you should be N expert enough to know if you have found the "right" mechanic for your PPI.
Perfect answer. Should be a sticky.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:46 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

I just went through this as well. Paid for two ppis in fact. That is aq must (and lots of dealers won't cooperate with that so be aware). Use this tool to check vins for options: https://vinanalytics.com/ The auto in these cars is not great so unless you really prefer an auto, I would pass. This is an awd model, adds weight and complexity, do you need awd?

IMS is a 5% problem. You can sometimes see if it was done here: http://imsretrofit.com/ims-check/

After PPI, service history is important. Sometimes a carfax has that info.

Make sure you have the budget for maintenance. Find a good indie shop and understand that 911 parts are expensive.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:49 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

It just seems to be priced a bit high, PPI is a good idea, I dont like the fact that some were very short ownerships.
These cars are 'special" and there are lots of little things that "may" need to be addressed...(Cabs are even more "special")
Before you buy a Porsche, you MUST read up....the GOOD the BAD and the UGLY.
AND, test drive a few...make a PORSCHE IS THE CAR FOR YOU.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:20 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 613 Likes on 300 Posts

The purchase price is just the start after a PPI a true “all in” price will show itself. I prefer buying from.a Porsche owner instead of a dealer try looking on Rennlist, Pelican and PCA
Great value in our cars buy right and enjoy
Rich
Old 07-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
Buying a Porsche is NOT like buying a Chevy Impala or a Honda Accord. It needa a proper Pre Purchase Inspection. Due diligence may cost some money up front but will save you potentially tens of thousand in the long run. If you read thru the history of this forum you will see many threads of people who purchased cars that turned out to be someone else's problem that they sold. A bad motor in one of these cars is going to set you back 15k and these previous post will show you how often it happens.

Some people want to see tons of records. I can assure you as a mechanic that the car will tell the story with or without records. Any good mechanic will know a loved car from a pig with lipstick at the begining of the inspection. The key is to find someone who really knows these cars. Sadly the dealer is not that place in most cases.

At a bare minimum the PPI should cost $300 to $500 and MUST include borescoping the cylinders (looking for cylinder bore scoring) and removing the sump plate to look for metal debris and look for plastic bits from the timing chaim guides. Again, read a ton in this forum and you should be N expert enough to know if you have found the "right" mechanic for your PPI.
This post is probably the first post that ever brought a tear to my eyes! It's like an angel descended to touch any soul that reads this thread! lol

Wise words!
Old 07-05-2019, 01:21 PM
Johnny92
AutoX

So this thread has been incredibly helpful. I can’t thank you all enough. So here is my next dumb question.

If this car is out of state and across the other side of the country, how do I get a PPI done? Reach out here and find someone who knows a good mechanic in the area, or just stick to buying local ?

Quick Reply: Wanting my first Porsche - 996 questions