Old 07-02-2019, 05:09 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts
Default CDR23 confusion

So I have the CDR23 head. I am looking to replace it with something like this:
Amazon Amazon
(cheap / simple / works with Android)

I do not plan on using an external amp .. for the moment.

Here are my points of confusion:
* Looks like the CDR23 uses the MOST system, implying an amp somewhere. I don't see it?
* Can I simply unplug the MOST from the existing radio and not worry about it?

Dazed and confused...
Old 07-02-2019, 05:24 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tom__w
So I have the CDR23 head. I am looking to replace it with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJCKJNQ/ (cheap / simple / works with Android)

* Looks like the CDR23 uses the MOST system, implying an amp somewhere. I don't see it?

Dazed and confused...
Do a search for CDR23 and you'll learn quickly enough.

The amp is in the frunk. If you don't want to use the existing amp, you'll need to runs wires from the speakers to your new HU. If you do want to use the existing amp, you'll need to buy an RCA->MOST converter.

That's the short answer.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:54 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrfeh
Do a search for CDR23 and you'll learn quickly enough.

The amp is in the frunk. If you don't want to use the existing amp, you'll need to runs wires from the speakers to your new HU. If you do want to use the existing amp, you'll need to buy an RCA->MOST converter.

That's the short answer.
I don't see the AMP in the frunk (hence my confusion). Where exactly is it in a C4S?
Old 07-02-2019, 06:09 PM
mrfeh
Racer

I don't see the AMP in the frunk (hence my confusion). Where exactly is it in a C4S?
Maybe it's different in a C4S...in my '03 C2, it's right behind the spare wheel.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:11 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrfeh
Maybe it's different in a C4S...in my '03 C2, it's right behind the spare wheel.
My spare wheel is on the bottom of the compartment, under a cover.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:13 PM
mrfeh
Racer

My spare wheel is on the bottom of the compartment, under a cover.
Sounds like a 4S owner is gonna need to chime in...
Old 07-02-2019, 06:24 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

I looked around the interweb and it looks like the amp is under the cover, next to my spare. I haven't looked yet.

Last question (s):

* Can I simply disconnect the fibre optics to the amp and existing head unit or do I need to do something else. I definitely have the fibre connections in back of the head unit.
* Only one of the speakers in my car works now (not a big deal because I have a great sound maker behind me). Is it usually the amp or the head that goes bad?

T
Old 07-04-2019, 03:21 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

The amp is to the driver side of the spare in my C4, (US model)

CAI has a bunch of info about this on their web page.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:14 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 407 Posts

I looked around the interweb and it looks like the amp is under the cover, next to my spare. I haven't looked yet.

Last question (s):

* Can I simply disconnect the fibre optics to the amp and existing head unit or do I need to do something else. I definitely have the fibre connections in back of the head unit.
* Only one of the speakers in my car works now (not a big deal because I have a great sound maker behind me). Is it usually the amp or the head that goes bad?

T
Yes, it should be right beside your spare tire under the cover. You need a 10mm socket if you want to remove it.

Yes, you can unplug it if you want.

It is usually the amp that goes bad. From what I have read they don't like high temperatures. If one of your speakers still works than I would definitely suspect the amplifier is the problem. New amps are expensive. Used amps are cheap but could also be not working. Becker Auto Sound offers repairs on the amps if you want to go that route.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:39 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I went down this road a few months ago because I wanted bluetooth for Waze and music. I decided there were 2 paths:
1) bluetooth to FM
2) replace head unit and amplifier and then probably the speakers when I figured out the speakers were the weak link

I went with option #1 and I'm very happy with the result. I'm trying to keep my 996 relatively unmolested, so this went with that desire.

FYI, if you go with option #2, there's a company that sells the plug and pigtail to use the amplifier connection to the speakers without chopping up the existing connector.

For me, the sound is decent enough. I do agree with a fellow 996 owner in the local PCA that if you have a convertible that a full system upgrade is the best route.

I talked with a guy at one of the companies that makes the MOST adapters and he said with the 2004/2005 Carrera, you're out of luck because they used a nonstandard MOST and their adapters won't work. If you look at their site, they, for the most part, say they only work on 2005 on, but there is a place that contradicts that and he said that is wrong and they in fact only work on 2005 and newer.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:07 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

So I have the CDR23 head. I am looking to replace it with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJCKJNQ/ (cheap / simple / works with Android)

Dazed and confused...
I've been down this road many times in my life where I wanted more out of my stock stereo system. But you have to ask yourself, "Is it worth it?" What are you trying to achieve? If the sound is distorted, Crutchfield is the place to purchase replacements. You could also purchase OEM speaker replacements from Porsche, but of course, they'll be 3-4 times as much especially since the dash and rear speakers have integrated mount designs. Crutchfield now offers a 2-ohm replacement for the OEM 5.25" door speakers. Therefore, if you want to enhance your system, speakers are a good place to start.

Now, on the other hand, if you're wanting a more modern system (bluetooth, hands free phone, etc.), the you're going to have to be ready to replace the head unit and amp because trying to tap into the MOST fiber optic signal is a toss up. Many people have successfully used the MOST-to-RCA preamp adapter so that they could get by with just installing a modern radio with the existing OEM frunk amp and speakers.

For me, I just upgraded my speakers. I have found over the years, that I just enjoy driving without the big stereo system. My OEM Porsche radio picks up all of my local radio stations just fine and if I want personal music, I create a CD from my digital library that I've purchased. I know it's sounds so 90s', but I drive and enjoy what the car is... a performance driving machine.

Nothing can beat the concert of the Flat 6 at crescendo!
Old 07-04-2019, 02:10 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As one who has upgraded the CDR23 in a 2003 C2, I will offer several comments, at leat one of which is apparently a minority view. First, the power amp, I am pretty certain, is a Becker unit, same as the head unit. Some folks seem to assume that most of the system is Bose. I believe that the only thing Bose are the speakers. Speaking of which, I firmly believe that the speakers are actually the strong point in the system. I installed an Alpine head unit (single DIN) and power amp. This involved disconnecting the side rear speakers and wiring the "Subwoofer" units in the back (actually bandpass drivers) in series, to get the resistance matched. I can afford a set of Focals, but I decided to wait and see how the system sounded, before I spent that money. I KNEW the head unit needed to go, to get modern functionality, and the absence of any adjustability on the stock power amp (EQ and crossovers) coupled with the low cost of a new one lead me to stop there. This was a couple of years ago.

As I suspected and hoped, sending a clean, properly EQ'd signal to the 8 (? I used to know) speakers that still get power produces a wonderful sound, certainly all that is needed on a Porsche 911. Others don't hear it that way, which is fine. I rely on my 66 year old ears, which listen to AR5s, Polk, Bose, Infinity (home stereo) and JBL D110s, E110s and D120s, Altec Lansing 417H and Jensen P15N (American made) in the guitar world. Sorry for the name dropping, but I learned to trust my own ears a long time ago.

And there is a lot of angst and anger where the fibre optic connection harness is concerned. Again, I don't think it is a Bose product. Regardless, if you replace the head unit and power amp, it becomes a non-issue.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:22 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

I've owned a couple sets of bose home speakers,, the magic to drive them is lower voltage higher current.
They need current to make things move..

Quick Reply: CDR23 confusion