Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

'03 - what does "hi-fi digital sound" mean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:58 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default '03 - what does "hi-fi digital sound" mean?

So, I'm having the common problems w/ the CDR23 that are so well documented. I'm considering just replacing the head unit with something after-market.

I have read this is more difficult/impossible if the car has Bose speakers. My question is - is the Bose upgrade listed separately as an option? I have the original window sticker, and it lists "hi-fi digital sound", but the word "Bose" does not appear anywhere.

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:50 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

It means it uses the fiber optic cable. Yes, Bose is a separate option.

I have the "hi-fi digital sound" in my 03 also.

If you can't just replace the head unit without finding a special adapter.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:47 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Anybody know if there is a howto somewhere regarding an after-market HU I could install, that would possibly bypass the original amp? Something that wouldn't require hacking up the existing wiring?
Old 06-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Call Crutchfield and they can help you with the adapter, the installation kit, and a new head unit. The speakers are the weak link in the system. If you really want to improve the sound quality of your system, then you’ll need new speakers. I went with a Kenwood head unit and a Focal amp and speakers when I upgraded the system in my 996. That was quite a few years ago, and I’m sure there are many great new choices available now. My car had the Bose speaker system prior to the upgrade, and the Focal speakers were a significant improvement.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:25 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Call Crutchfield and they can help you with the adapter, the installation kit, and a new head unit. The speakers are the weak link in the system. If you really want to improve the sound quality of your system, then you’ll need new speakers. I went with a Kenwood head unit and a Focal amp and speakers when I upgraded the system in my 996. That was quite a few years ago, and I’m sure there are many great new choices available now. My car had the Bose speaker system prior to the upgrade, and the Focal speakers were a significant improvement.
I'm not an audiophile, and I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money. I just want a working radio (ideally w/ bluetooth).

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:52 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Originally Posted by Dennis C
According to Crutchfield, if the car has an external amp, that means it has the Bose speakers.

Do they have faulty information?
Old 06-16-2019, 03:55 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Originally Posted by mrfeh
According to Crutchfield, if the car has an external amp, that means it has the Bose speakers.

I double checked the options on my car - no Bose upgrade. So, Crutchfield is wrong about this.

I've read elsewhere that the only way to bypass the factory amp would be to run new speaker wires. Is that correct?

I'm willing to use the factory amp, if it will work w/ a replacement HU. Is there any way to verify the amp is working?
Old 06-16-2019, 04:16 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

I have the hi fi system on my 04 and kept the amp, change out the head unit and use the MOST converter box, you can find all the info you need in the link posted below. it all works great.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ctory-amp.html
Old 06-16-2019, 04:57 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
I have the hi fi system on my 04 and kept the amp, change out the head unit and use the MOST converter box, you can find all the info you need in the link posted below. it all works great.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ctory-amp.html
Thanks!

I'm trying to determine if the problem is the HU or the amp; is there an easy way to diagnose it? I have the red light on one of the orange connectors at the amp, for what that's worth...it is lit for about 1 second, goes off for maybe a quarter of a second, then repeats.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

It sounds like you’ve verified that Crutchfield is wrong about this.

It would seem to me that this will be a fairly easy installation with a MOST-HUR adapter.

One thing to consider: the thing that makes most aftermarket installations look bad is the trim around the new head unit. Some of them are recessed into the dash, some of them have textures and colors that don’t match the 996 interior. I don’t have a recommendation for you in that regard, I’m just giving you my opinion.

Another thing to note, since you mentioned bluetooth, is that the bluetooth telephone option for most aftermarket systems is fairly useless in a 996, unless you’re siting still in the car. The combination of road noise and engine noise in the cabin of the 996 make it very difficult to have a telephone conversation using bluetooth.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:13 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

I use these guy's stereo parts, did the kid C2 DIN install using their kits, and my C2 also. They specialize in Porsche kits.

https://cai-store.com/
Old 06-16-2019, 08:28 PM
mrfeh
Racer

I've learned quite a bit since I first started this thread. I am considering buying a new HU and simply bypassing the amp. So, I'd need to get speaker output from the new HU into the boot to connect to the speakers.

Has anybody done this? Is it difficult to get the wiring in place? Is this feasible, or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2019, 08:36 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks!

I'm trying to determine if the problem is the HU or the amp; is there an easy way to diagnose it? I have the red light on one of the orange connectors at the amp, for what that's worth...it is lit for about 1 second, goes off for maybe a quarter of a second, then repeats.
There is no easy way for the average DIY'r to test MOST based systems. It's a toss up whether the amp or the HU is malfunctioning. The only way is to take to the dealership, but they'll charge you a pretty penny to diagnose the problem. Lots of people purchase a replacement head unit first and get the RCA pre-amp to MOST unit that has been mentioned in this thread, but remember, there's a chance the amp is malfunctioning. In that case, you'll have to replace the amp too. The speaker level outputs are at the amp. For the HIFI system, you'll need a 6 channel amplifier. This can get pricey. CAI is a good source of information over Crutchfield.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:44 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 143 Posts

Looks nice. You can add a Porsche splash screen to your Kenwood. I have a DMX906S in my 997.2 with front and rear parking cameras.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:23 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 247 Posts

How did you wire the parking switch? I am NOT interested in opening up center console.

Quick Reply: '03 - what does "hi-fi digital sound" mean?