Sponsored by:

2004 996 C2 Intermittent loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 01:24 AM
matz73z
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 996 C2 Intermittent loss of power

I’m trying to diagnose an intermittent loss of engine power while driving. It happened for the first time today and continued to happen intermittently for over an hour. It started after driving 3+hrs, in the Sierras near Yosemite (between 7000-8500 ft) with outside temperatures in the mid 80’s and the car running flawlessly at around 210F. While on throttle (light or heavy) the engine would just quit. If I put the clutch in it would stop completely as if the ignition were switched off. After 2-10seconds the engine would kick back on at whatever throttle level was set, as if nothing was wrong, and continue on for between 30sec to several minutes before it would happen again.

The issue finally seemed to stop after we coasted down a grade for about 5 miles (engine braking the whole way). Over the distance of the grade the coolant temperature came back to a more normal 185f.

The issue would happen in any gear, at any speed and even if the clutch was depressed. It died at a stop once also, but started right up with the key. No codes were thrown for the OBD2 system and no warning lights flickered or came on.

This is a base 996 C2 with no PSM.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-15-2019, 09:15 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Maybe Bad ignition switch.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:53 AM
matz73z
4th Gear

I ran the car this morning, hard, and it performed flawlessly over the 40min drive with RPM’s kept between 4000-6000. The temperature of the coolant never got above 190, and the air temperature is in the mid 70’s. ...still around 8000’ of elevation.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:00 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,463 Likes on 964 Posts

Fuel, spark and air

At elevation air could be a contributor but with our modern cars not likely. Low fuel and a combination of high elevation?

Fuel pump struggling on twisty road if fuel low could be the cause.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:12 PM
ninelevenick
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, your fuel pump may be fizzling out. This theory is further reinforced by the fact that there is no check engine light or codes.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:50 PM
matz73z
4th Gear

Thanks for the fuel pump suggestion. It was slightly above half a tank when the issue occurred, but I’ve had it above 3/4 full since then.

I wouldn’t think vapor lock would be an issue with this type of EFI, but have others reported this type of fuel cut?

It’s a sudden off-on with no hesitation or reduction in power.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:14 PM
ninelevenick
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You're welcome, matz. Before my fuel pump gave the ghost, my car intermittently stalled. Turning the ignition key would usually fire up the engine right away. Those symptoms occurred for a couple days before I was not able to start the car at all. Fuel pumps are easy to remove and test when there is no ignition. The intermittent symptoms you are experiencing make diagnosis more difficult because the car still runs most of the time.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:31 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,786 Likes on 2,158 Posts

With the loss of power at speed for an extended amount of time, 2-10 seconds, and NO CEL/CODES,you can eliminate a few things. You can eliminate the CPS sensor or any sensor that is monitored while running. You may also can elliminate the fuel system, as running lean/no fuel for 2-10 seconds SHOULD produce a lean running/fuel trim code.(although this should be verified by watching it with an ODB2 device while it is happening)

The LOGICAL explanation would be a loss of power/potential of the ignition switch/DME relay/wiring to the DME.. Interruption of this circuit would cause the same as just turning off the switch, and cause NO CODES.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

First thing I would check is your intake setup. Make sure the hose clamps are tight and there aren't any leaks.

I had the same issue with my 240SX. The intake tube was not on tight.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:33 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
First thing I would check is your intake setup. Make sure the hose clamps are tight and there aren't any leaks.

I had the same issue with my 240SX. The intake tube was not on tight.
Yep, this is also possible, huge amounts of unmetered air entering between the MAF and TB would cause a power loss.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:44 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Yep, this is also possible, huge amounts of unmetered air entering between the MAF and TB would cause a power loss.
...improbable to happen only after extended driving I say and it would throw codes, wouldn't it?

The opposite to unmetered air as in too little or none could be causing power loss when the rubber intake hose collapses at higher engine compartment temperatures and low engine load/high vacuum conditions. But I have never heard of that related to 996.

I am with you on your earlier post though: It's electrical.
@matz73z Anything that causes a sudden loss of supply voltage to the DME like a faulty relay, ignition switch, loose battery cable or ground wire.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hardtailer
...improbable to happen only after extended driving I say and it would throw codes, wouldn't it?

The opposite to unmetered air as in too little or none could be causing power loss when the rubber intake hose collapses at higher engine compartment temperatures and low engine load/high vacuum conditions. But I have never heard of that related to 996.

I am with you on your earlier post though: It's electrical.
@matz73z Anything that causes a sudden loss of supply voltage to the DME like a faulty relay, ignition switch, loose battery cable or ground wire.
Yep it SHOULD throw a code if the specified MAF( calculated from RPM and throttle angle) is too far away from the actual MAF value,but in reality we have seen cars run VERY poorly from a faulty MAF value and not set a code, although not as bad as described by the OP as in complety shutting off. I agree it's improbable for extended driving to exacerbate the symptoms, but not impossible.

The factory intake hose is thick and ribbed, I don't see it collapsing even with a very restricted/stopped up air filter and high temperature. The aftermarket intake hoses are thinner and more flexible, I could see them collapsing under high temperature for an extended amount of time with also having a restricted/stopped up air filter.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

When troubleshooting a car, I always check the common/free/easiest possible causes first. It has served me well.

I bought two cars where the previous owners thought the engines were blown. Fixed one for $30. The other with an oil change and cranking it for 30 seconds.

I had another car that kept blowing the rear tail light fuse. I changed all of the rear tail light bulbs and it fixed the problem.

I just fixed a car that wouldn't stay running after starting. No CEL. Lots of people told ne it couldnt be the IACV because of no codes. Was the common stuck Idle Air Control Valve. Fixed for free.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:04 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Mice
Old 06-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
When troubleshooting a car, I always check the common/free/easiest possible causes first. It has served me well.

I bought two cars where the previous owners thought the engines were blown. Fixed one for $30. The other with an oil change and cranking it for 30 seconds.

I had another car that kept blowing the rear tail light fuse. I changed all of the rear tail light bulbs and it fixed the problem.

I just fixed a car that wouldn't stay running after starting. No CEL. Lots of people told ne it couldnt be the IACV because of no codes. Was the common stuck Idle Air Control Valve. Fixed for free.

Quick Reply: 2004 996 C2 Intermittent loss of power