Sponsored by:

Super Stiff Clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 11:56 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Super Stiff Clutches?

So I took my car to a mechanic for an inspection and they noted that my clutch pressure plate is in need of replacement, as the clutch pedal is very stiff. I wanted to know if anyone knows of a way I can get a new clutch and keep that super stiffness? I love how stiff the pedal is and when I've driven other cars, I tend to have a very difficult time adjusting to how soft their clutch is, even the ones that they consider "Stiff". Since stiffness is probably relative. The best way for me to put it is like this. If you want to push the pedal all the way down in my car, you'd find yourself slamming your foot into the floor in any other car. (If anyone knows a good way to quantify this let me know, this is my first car so I don't know how to go about explaining this)
Old 06-07-2019, 12:31 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 113 Posts

This could also be your clutch helper spring that is stiff. I'd say if you replace all your clutch parts and don't replace the helper spring it will be still just as "heavy".

What you're probably feeling is the clutch spring assembly binding inside the canister making the pedal super heavy.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:47 AM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Ah I see, by any chance would you know how to see if I have the assist spring still? I don’t think I have it anymore, as the cruise control only works if I put my foot under the pedal and lift up to hit the micro switch.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:52 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by TheYoung911
Ah I see, by any chance would you know how to see if I have the assist spring still? I don’t think I have it anymore, as the cruise control only works if I put my foot under the pedal and lift up to hit the micro switch.
You'd be able to see it if you stick your head under the dashboard and look up at the clutch spring:

There is a spring you can get that is heavier than standard from mccaster - just look up the thread it has the part number. You'd probably have to buy a canister though - just buy a used one off ebay.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:57 AM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Ok, I will be sure to look into it! Thanks for the help!
Old 06-11-2019, 05:07 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

You could look into a different pressure plate with stronger "fingers". There must be racing clutches around (I know there are for other brands of car - I've used them on a track car).
Old 06-11-2019, 05:20 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

It’s funny that you and I like stuff clutches, because many people don’t. Some can’t even drive a clutch because it can hurt their leg/knee.

I would first remove the helper spring. Secondly, you can install a heavier clutch. Heavier clutches are often required for higher torque applications, such as drag racing. The downside to a heavier clutch can be increased wear, though, so talk to someone knowledgeable before proceeding. It’s like not there’s a lot of 996s being drag raced, although a turbo clutch might work.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:07 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
The downside to a heavier clutch can be increased wear, though, so talk to someone knowledgeable before proceeding.
I don't understand that. Increased wear on which part(s)? As I understand it, they're just stiffer springs/fingers, so it takes more effort to release the pressure plate.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
I don't understand that. Increased wear on which part(s)? As I understand it, they're just stiffer springs/fingers, so it takes more effort to release the pressure plate.
I guess it depends on how the car is driven. Higher spring rates by themselves probably don’t cause increased wear unless the reason for the change is to cope with higher engine torque.

The OP will have the same engine output, so it’s less of a concern.

For racing, higher spring rates cause higher force on the disc, which leads to higher heat during slippage and more wear. The slippage happens when trying to shift as fast as possible. It’s similar to brake pads. They wear out faster the harder we press on them.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:52 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

In 1984 I bought a 77 3.0 Carrera from KREMER Porsche in Kohn Germany.
The car was an Oak Green Metallic Targa that they had "built" for a client, I was in DE at the time buying some "Grey Market" BMW 323's (a long story for anther time), anyway I had decided to buy a 911 for myself. I was with a friend who knew Manfred Kremer so we went to the showroom. We got a tour of their shop...WOW basement full of ex race cars...and you could.."eat off the floor" in the shop.
They had just taken this Targa back from the owner as it "wasn't fast enough" (built up 3.2 motor) I got a Test ride from one of their "mechanics" (little did I know that they are all race car drivers) scared the s**t out of me.... I drove the car it was fantastic and I bought it, we used the car for 2 weeks in DE and they shipped it to the US for me....
When the car got here I had it "federalized", I used my one time EPA exemption so that the engine did not have to be changed, just the DOT.
Where I was going with this is that when I tried to use this car as a DD in NY. to go from LI to Queens, the clutch was so stiff that I couldn't do it ...I sold it to some one who came to see it from "out west" he bought it and "drove it home" No idea what happened to that car...But that CLUTCH...WOW
Actually I did see what may have been that car for sale some years later, in the Pano, and I think the engine had been replaced with a standard 3.0
Old 06-11-2019, 06:58 PM
cds72911
Drifting

I guess it depends on how the car is driven. Higher spring rates by themselves probably don’t cause increased wear unless the reason for the change is to cope with higher engine torque.

The OP will have the same engine output, so it’s less of a concern.

For racing, higher spring rates cause higher force on the disc, which leads to higher heat during slippage and more wear. The slippage happens when trying to shift as fast as possible. It’s similar to brake pads. They wear out faster the harder we press on them.
I see what you are saying, thanks.

I don't suspect a typical sport clutch (I think Sachs makes one) would be too harsh on a daily driver or lead to excessive wear. Only my opinion though, no facts to support it.

When I had a heavily sprung clutch, it also had a four puck Kevlar clutch disk with no springs. It had two modes - on and off. Combined with a lightweight flywheel, it grabbed immediately, there was no dampening, and very little mass, so it was very tricky to relearn taking off from a standstill. It also had a supercharged engine from another model, a sturdier gearbox and a quaiffe did. I suspect the wear in that case happened in all kinds of other places in the driveline.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:13 AM
TheYoung911
Instructor

It’s funny that you and I like stuff clutches, because many people don’t. Some can’t even drive a clutch because it can hurt their leg/knee.

I would first remove the helper spring. Secondly, you can install a heavier clutch. Heavier clutches are often required for higher torque applications, such as drag racing. The downside to a heavier clutch can be increased wear, though, so talk to someone knowledgeable before proceeding. It’s like not there’s a lot of 996s being drag raced, although a turbo clutch might work.
Yep I like the stiff clutch especially when I'm in stop and go traffic because it turns everyday into leg day. I was considering the gt2 clutch system but i'd be surprised if it didnt cost a fortune
Old 06-12-2019, 02:20 AM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Originally Posted by dak911
The car was an Oak Green Metallic Targa that they had "built" for a client, I was in DE at the time buying some "Grey Market" BMW 323's (a long story for anther time), anyway I had decided to buy a 911 for myself. I was with a friend who knew Manfred Kremer so we went to the showroom. We got a tour of their shop...WOW basement full of ex race cars...and you could.."eat off the floor" in the shop.
They had just taken this Targa back from the owner as it "wasn't fast enough" (built up 3.2 motor) I got a Test ride from one of their "mechanics" (little did I know that they are all race car drivers) scared the s**t out of me.... I drove the car it was fantastic and I bought it, we used the car for 2 weeks in DE and they shipped it to the US for me....
When the car got here I had it "federalized", I used my one time EPA exemption so that the engine did not have to be changed, just the DOT.
Where I was going with this is that when I tried to use this car as a DD in NY. to go from LI to Queens, the clutch was so stiff that I couldn't do it ...I sold it to some one who came to see it from "out west" he bought it and "drove it home" No idea what happened to that car...But that CLUTCH...WOW
Actually I did see what may have been that car for sale some years later, in the Pano, and I think the engine had been replaced with a standard 3.0
I tried doing that LI to Queens trip before this was when i just got the car and the clutch was really stiff feeling to me, now im used to it. Lets just say that it made me think about hitting the gym....
Old 06-12-2019, 02:21 AM
dan_189
Race Car

I thought I was the same until I replaced all my clutch parts including the spring.

Wouldn't go back now, not worth it IMO
Old 06-12-2019, 02:25 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
I love the Oak Green...

Quick Reply: Super Stiff Clutches?