996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fault code P0430

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:11 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Just another idea for you to think about...

Since you don't need to pass emission test in your area, you could always get rid of the cats. Either get a cat bypass pipe or remove the current pipes and just knock/gut them out.

To remedy the check engine light you can either use something like Fabspeed sells or go on ebay and get something cheap. If you have the clearence at the O2 sensors. This setup just tricks the pcm into thinking the Cat is there and is running perfect.

https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-9...nverters-pair/
Old 06-10-2019, 01:16 AM
Os7213
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979

Since you don't need to pass emission test in your area, you could always get rid of the cats. Either get a cat bypass pipe or remove the current pipes and just knock/gut them out.

To remedy the check engine light you can either use something like Fabspeed sells or go on ebay and get something cheap. If you have the clearence at the O2 sensors. This setup just tricks the pcm into thinking the Cat is there and is running perfect.

Thanks again for helping me out! very good idea!
As you can see Im not really used to deal with exhaust parts... first time I have to play with exhaust on a 4 cycles engine.
I will still gather informations about cat bypass as I dont want to lose much low / mid torque but that is an interresting solution.
As I dont plan to reprogram the DME I would like to have a confirmation that using bypass wont cause any problem with the engine. Im basicly sure the engine are restricted alot with cats installed and its mapped accordingly.
I also have another solution which is Carnewal 200 cell... I contacted then and they cat sell me OEM cats that has been modified with 200 cells. Im waiting for a price quote and I will ake my decision after I got it.
So far I think the cats delete will the cheapest solution and as long as it dont cause any problem with the engine it is really interresting!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 PM
Os7213
Racer

Hi!

Just a little follow-up.
I decided to get rid if the cats as you suggested.
Difference between both setup 200cell vs cat bypass was 1000$.. As I dont want to take the chance of burning another set of cats Im better get rid of them.
Here's what I will use to space the 02 sensor:
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

I will post some pictures of the installation.
I decided to go with FVD X-desing bypass.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Os7213
Hi!

Just a little follow-up.
I decided to get rid if the cats as you suggested.
Difference between both setup 200cell vs cat bypass was 1000$.. As I dont want to take the chance of burning another set of cats Im better get rid of them.
Here's what I will use to space the 02 sensor:
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

I will post some pictures of the installation.
I decided to go with FVD X-desing bypass.
Glad to hear.... please keep us updated. I have been on the fence about getting rid of my cats but i have heard it kills low end torque. Would love to hear another opinion.....also curious on the exhaust note.. i have a fabspeed competition intake and maxflow mufflers. It sounds good but just not enough. I wish i did supercup muffler but heard too many people complain about a drone at highway speeds. Maybe an X pipe would be the extra i need.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Os7213
Racer

Glad to hear.... please keep us updated. I have been on the fence about getting rid of my cats but i have heard it kills low end torque. Would love to hear another opinion.....also curious on the exhaust note.. i have a fabspeed competition intake and maxflow mufflers. It sounds good but just not enough. I wish i did supercup muffler but heard too many people complain about a drone at highway speeds. Maybe an X pipe would be the extra i need.
Ok.....
After my order has been cancelled because he X-pipe is out of stock I went with Carnewal 200Cell...
I was my second choice price wise and I have heard good things about the 200cell option.
There is also a couple more reasons why its a good "bad luck" for me...
1st: The cats he use are OEM.. as Im keeping the car stock and kind of "restoring'' it I prefer have the stock cats look.
2nd: My car is on the street 90% of its life time so my 2500 to 4000rpm range is important.

The downside is I was expecting a more "rev happy" engine with the Xpipe.
My understanding was to keep back pressure by keeping the stock mufflers, take off some back pressure getting rid of the cats and enjoy.

As a winter project I will empty my actual cats so I will be able to test both setup.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:52 PM
Os7213
Racer

Just a quick follow-up.

I installed the Carnewal 200 cells cats today.
The installation was easy and took me 1h30.
Not a major change in sound but you can hear a richer and deeper sound than before.
I really like it! And so far the code hasnt returned.

Old 03-10-2023, 06:43 AM
AK Hunter
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use Dura lube

Originally Posted by Os7213
Hi guys,

Im trying to figure out a code P0430 I get about once per month since I took the car out of storage.
The car had a full tank of gas treated with Sta-Bil and was stored for about 6 months.
The MAF sensor was cleaned during summer 18' and a new air filter was installed.

When I took the car out of storage I got the first P0430 code. I said to myself it was probably the Sta-Bil treatment going through the system with the old gas acting up on the readings.
Cleared the code.
I got thought the full tank of gas, refueled with 94 octane and did the bi-annual oil change.
I did topping off the oil, middle of the gage and the car havent burn oil since then.

Today I got another P0430 and I decided to analyse the STFT and LTFT especially on Bank 2.

The first time I got the code on May 10 the values were the following:
STFT Bank 1: 6.3%
LTFT Bank 1: 2.3%
STFT Bank 2: 6.3%
LTFT Bank 2: 1.6%
RPM: 2200rpms

So if I do the maths:

Difference in %
Bank 1: 4%
Bank 2: 4.7%
-------------------------
0.7% difference = acceptable

Difference in actual number for LTFT
LTFT Bank 1
LTFT Bank 2

So everything seems very good from the STFT and LTFT and within acceptable limits of 10% difference and based on the acceptable part-load range of 0.7 to 1.32 (where 1 is considered no trims)

The second time I got the code P0430 June 5th the values were the following:
STFT Bank 1: -4.7%
LTFT Bank 1: 7.0%
STFT Bank 2: -7.0%
LTFT Bank 2: 4.7%
RPMs: 2360

If I do the maths:

Difference in %
Bank 1: 2.3%
Bank 2: -2.3%
--------------------------
4% difference = acceptable

Difference in actual number for LTFT
LTFT Bank 1
LTFT Bank 2

Again everything seems good from the STFT and LTFT except Bank 1 and Bank 2 have a difference lean/rich but within acceptable limits of 10% difference and based on the acceptable part-load range of 0.7 to 1.32.
I also experience what I can call rough idle after getting off the highway at a stop light.

The car have 149000kms
4 oxygen sensors were changed at 117000kms
Both catalyst converter were changed at 125032kms
Spark plugs were changed at 131575kms and will be redone soon.
I plan on cleaning the secondary air injection pump as I also get a P0491 code once in awhile.

I dont own a Durametric for the moment but I plan buying one so I dont have 02 voltage for the moment.

Anyway I would like to find what cause the cell.
As I dont see anything wrong with STFT and LTFT readings can you point out what I should try first?
I was really expecting weird readings from the fuel trims if an 02 or catalyst converter were faulty.
Is there something I dont understand?

Thanks
Hugo
pour Dura lube in your tank, buy it at walmart,problem solved

Quick Reply: Fault code P0430