996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to diagnose Suspension Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:09 AM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts

Definitely worth it to get torque wrenches that fit and tighten/replace all bolts per spec. I’ve needed to use various size torque wrenches in my C4S and am happy with the results.

I have used for a while a long (18”?) torque wrench that is good for many things but too big for others. When I’ve guessed on the torques on those other things I’ve had problems and learned I should “do it right.”. I’ve found it’s worth the $50-$150 for the right tools for a job. That price range fits for me. I bought a couple of torque wrenches on amazon that have seemed to work well and not caused me problems. Probably better would be snapon or another professional brand a but I do this work infrequently enough that’s it’s hard to justify that investment. Maybe you are in the same boat.

Earlier this year I went through something similar to what you are writing about with my Audi A4 and had clunks and weirdness until I torqued all bolts correctly.

I recently did front strut mounts on my C4S and took care to torque everything to spec (after my Audi pain) and haven’t had any weirdness afterwards.

I’m definitely a believer in following the torque specs now.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:30 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

Does "everything" include the 2 rubber anti-roll bar bushings and the drop links at either side?
My guess is that worn out drop links cause the noise.
Play between steering rack and pinion could also cause thus.

What brand shock absorbers did you put in? Even new ones sometimes make noises but I wouldn't expect them from OEM or Bilstein.

Please report back what was causing this after it has been solved.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hardtailer
Does "everything" include the 2 rubber anti-roll bar bushings and the drop links at either side?
My guess is that worn out drop links cause the noise.
Play between steering rack and pinion could also cause thus.

What brand shock absorbers did you put in? Even new ones sometimes make noises but I wouldn't expect them from OEM or Bilstein.

Please report back what was causing this after it has been solved.
I did replace the rubber bushings also, and I used Bilstein (B6's i believe), for my struts. My cars suspension has never been great, as the struts were worn when I purchased the vehicle, although it did not bounce over bumps like it does now. I'm looking forward to the day when the suspension is in great condition and is the way it is intended to be. I booked an appointment with my Indy in two weeks. I'll report back once I know what's up, but it'll be a little while before that happens. Thanks for all the help/advice, I appreciate all of you!
Old 06-05-2019, 09:31 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

^^ It shouldn't "bounce" over bumps with new shocks/struts... Did you change the springs also? There's something wrong...
Old 06-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaycote
I did replace the rubber bushings also, and I used Bilstein (B6's i believe), for my struts. My cars suspension has never been great, as the struts were worn when I purchased the vehicle, although it did not bounce over bumps like it does now. I'm looking forward to the day when the suspension is in great condition and is the way it is intended to be. I booked an appointment with my Indy in two weeks. I'll report back once I know what's up, but it'll be a little while before that happens. Thanks for all the help/advice, I appreciate all of you!
The Bilsteins are adjustable, are they not? Maybe you need to mess with the adjustment. It's unlikely they are under damped, being new. But you may have one of them over damped.

Were it me, I'd put all adjustments on the softest settings and go up from there. There are two other things that stand out: 1) the uncertainty of torque settings. This is very important - though may not explain the "bouncy" feeling. 2) As mentioned by cds - rubber bushings need to be torqued properly in the laden position.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:35 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Bilstein B6's are not adjustable...
Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
Bilstein B6's are not adjustable...
It might not be that, then.

One more thing. Springs typically install in a particular orientation. If not installed just right, weird things happen.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Prolly not... B6's are "heavy duty" shocks/struts... seems like maybe it's a mismatch between them and stock springs (which are matched to the stock Bilstein B4 shocks/struts)... I'm not sure why heavier/stiffer shocks/struts would bounce more (seems counter-intuitive) but I'm certainly not a suspension engineer...
Old 06-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
Prolly not... B6's are "heavy duty" shocks/struts... seems like maybe it's a mismatch between them and stock springs (which are matched to the stock Bilstein B4 shocks/struts)... I'm not sure why heavier/stiffer shocks/struts would bounce more (seems counter-intuitive) but I'm certainly not a suspension engineer...
Dampers usually work well with a variety of spring rates. What doesn't work - stiff springs and soft shocks. That should not be the case here.

Quick Reply: How to diagnose Suspension Issues