Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ready to become first time 911 owner - reliable commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I have owned my 99 C2 for a little over two years. I had driven it to work occasionally (25 miles round trip) and to Atlanta a few times after I got transferred there (248 miles round trip). It's fun to drive occasionally, but I think it would lose it's "specialness" if I drove it every day. I daily drive a Mazda3. In the past two years I have been run off the road by an 18 wheeler (the stars aligned and I didn't slide down the embankment into the median barrier) and I have been hit by a deer. The deer ran into me so hard it dented the rear driver's side door from the front edge to the back edge.

The Mazda has 124k on it and the only non-routine maintenance item has been replacement of the upper motor mount which took me 20 minutes and less than $100. I have spent thousands in preventative maintenance in the 996.

I love my 996 and I plan to keep it for a long time, but I have no intention of daily driving it.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:27 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

“Lots of people can afford to buy a 911. Few can afford to keep it.”

TC
Old 06-06-2019, 04:23 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Alrighty boys, here's yer "DD"

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/c...901020873.html

214k miles. Gulp.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:21 PM
gnyla
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
I kinda think what's going on with some people dabbling in 996 ownership is that they look at the price of entry, and think; 'gee I could buy a decent used Subaru for $18k, or - I could buy this shiny bauble made by Porsche. What to do?' If they buy both, then that's a lot of scratch, but one 996 is the same price as the Subie! So, they want to have a 996, and operate it like a Subaru. Gas, oil, tires, wipers and a timing belt at 100k. Like you said, if one wants to pay the money, and down time, might as well DD a 06 Stanley Steamer. It can be done.
You are right. Everything comes with a cost. Based on information I've gathered so far, I've come to a conclusion 996 is not a right car for me to use as a daily driver given the bad roads I travel and the amount of miles I put on my cars every year. One thing I am not looking forward to is fixing or replacing rims which I know will happen, as I remember all too well all the grief BMW's bent rims gave me. Although I can afford to pay the cost of daily driving a 996, I do not think it is the best use of my money.

Hence, a 911, which I still very much want to buy, will serve a weekend and occasional weekday duty. Now, to the next research topic, which 911 I'd want to own (for now leaning more towards 991.1). Again, I thank everyone for taking time to share your thoughts and experiences. Very helpful.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:29 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Good choice, good luck.

For my 2 cents, the 996 is the only thing I would consider. Two times I drove a 991, it was a very impressive car no question, but the driving experience was muted, and rather pedestrian. Shift it, don't shift it. Steer with one finger. Push a button, talk to the stereo, blah, blah, blah. I was connected to the early 996. It was part modern sport, and part vintage thrasher. 997 is such a small step up from the 996, I can't see the value. Manual 996 before 2001, maybe some light mods - that's the smooth operator.

Quick Reply: Ready to become first time 911 owner - reliable commuter?