Notices
996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

New to me 996 with coolant intermix issue

 
Old 06-26-2019, 12:00 PM
  #46  
carlvs
User
Thread Starter
 
carlvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 59
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I have discovered where some of the damage caused by the errant rear main seal tension spring occurred ...


Oil pump housing

Oil pump gear





Crankshaft main bearing thrust washer
carlvs is offline  
Old 06-26-2019, 12:02 PM
  #47  
moburki
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
moburki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 394
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cds72911 View Post
Ingenious use of the maxjax!
X2!
moburki is offline  
Old 06-26-2019, 12:11 PM
  #48  
carlvs
User
Thread Starter
 
carlvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 59
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ahsai View Post
Congrats! Check with Len Hoffman. He should be able to fix this and make sure you send BOTH heads (in case there are other cracks) because you don't want to do it twice.
I have been reading and following your "Blown Engine" post. Most excellent, thanks for sharing your journey. I have learned quite a bit from your post, knowledge that all come in handy when I start to reassemble my engine.
carlvs is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Ahsai (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 12:25 PM
  #49  
808Bill
Super User
 
808Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kauai
Posts: 4,822
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

808Bill is online now  
Old 06-26-2019, 01:09 PM
  #50  
Ahsai
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Ahsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by carlvs View Post
I have discovered where some of the damage caused by the errant rear main seal tension spring occurred ...


Oil pump housing

Oil pump gear





Crankshaft main bearing thrust washer
Good job disassembling the engine. Good that those bits should be caught by the oil filter. Imagine if those bits got suck into the oil gallery if the filter bypass valve fails...
Ahsai is offline  
Old 06-26-2019, 02:11 PM
  #51  
dporto
Super User
 
dporto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: L.I. NY
Posts: 3,809
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

You're Rockin' it! The bores you showed on the one bank all look good. Is the other side clean (no scoring) as well? Are you planning on doing anything to them? Obviously, new timing/cam chains etc. What about the scoring on the face of the water pump? Can anything be done for that? Looks like that intermix could have been a blessing in a way...
dporto is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 01:15 PM
  #52  
carlvs
User
Thread Starter
 
carlvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 59
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ahsai View Post
Congrats! Check with Len Hoffman. He should be able to fix this and make sure you send BOTH heads (in case there are other cracks) because you don't want to do it twice.
Just received an email from Len Hoffman. I had shipped him both heads and only the one had a crack. He is going to weld/repair the crack and service both heads.
carlvs is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 01:17 PM
  #53  
carlvs
User
Thread Starter
 
carlvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 59
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dporto View Post
You're Rockin' it! The bores you showed on the one bank all look good. Is the other side clean (no scoring) as well? Are you planning on doing anything to them? Obviously, new timing/cam chains etc. What about the scoring on the face of the water pump? Can anything be done for that? Looks like that intermix could have been a blessing in a way...
Yes, plan on replacing the wear items. The scoring was on the main oil pump housing. All the cylinders look great except for number five. Light scoring and marks on piston as well.
carlvs is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 01:40 PM
  #54  
dporto
Super User
 
dporto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: L.I. NY
Posts: 3,809
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by carlvs View Post
Yes, plan on replacing the wear items. The scoring was on the main oil pump housing. All the cylinders look great except for number five. Light scoring and marks on piston as well.

How do you plan on addressing these two issues? Surely you're not planning on just putting it back together and hoping for the best?
dporto is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 03:37 PM
  #55  
carlvs
User
Thread Starter
 
carlvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 59
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dporto View Post
How do you plan on addressing these two issues? Surely you're not planning on just putting it back together and hoping for the best?
Well... it did cross my mind... briefly!

I’m looking for a good used oil pump housing and assembly. New ones are in the $400-600 range and my thought process is that unless something similar happened to another pump I should be good. As it were the engine had good oil pressure with the existing pump!

Input encouraged.
carlvs is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 03:45 PM
  #56  
carlvs
User
Thread Starter
 
carlvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 59
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Hi,

im beginning to put a parts list together and looking for suggestions for vendors with good prices AND service.

in the past I’ve used new parts . Com either directly or via eBay..., My local dealer and ECS tuning.

I just ran across https://www.oemexoticauto.com/oem-pa...mp-99610701262 the price looks terrific! Has anyone used them?
carlvs is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 04:05 PM
  #57  
808Bill
Super User
 
808Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kauai
Posts: 4,822
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

What about the scored bores?
808Bill is online now  
Old 06-27-2019, 04:21 PM
  #58  
cds72911
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
cds72911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Charlotte, VT USA
Posts: 1,905
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by carlvs View Post
Well... it did cross my mind... briefly!

I’m looking for a good used oil pump housing and assembly. New ones are in the $400-600 range and my thought process is that unless something similar happened to another pump I should be good. As it were the engine had good oil pressure with the existing pump!

Input encouraged.
I'd offer you one from my parts engine, but it looks worse than yours.


cds72911 is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 04:42 PM
  #59  
Porschetech3
User
 
Porschetech3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alabama USA
Posts: 1,421
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

You should be able to find a used front console/oil pump in perfect shape easily. There are many parts available and the Boxster console/oil pump is also compatible.Although there are many different part numbers for the earlyier ones, they have all been superceeded to one part number. Just be sure to inspect it carefully and also get the matching "cover" that goes with the particular version.
Porschetech3 is offline  
Old 06-27-2019, 05:57 PM
  #60  
carlvs
User
Thread Starter
 
carlvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 59
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 808Bill View Post
What about the scored bores?
Though minor and only on cylinder 5, that issue is still to be dealt with. I’ve looked into Nickies Hartech, steel liners and finally having US Chrome hone and re plate with Nikasil. The last option is intriguing and also one of the lower cost options. If this were a “forever” car I’d go with oversized Nickies.

Has any one out there used US Chrome?
carlvs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: