Help with camshaft adjuster solenoid seal on valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 06:23 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help with camshaft adjuster solenoid seal on valve cover

Guys,

I took a look under the car and noticed some oil weeping from this seal held on with 2 10mm bolts right next to "variocam". Not sure what it is but I'm thinking it's the camshaft adjuster solenoid seal?

Can I replace just the seal itself (which is a $10 part)? Looks like it is connected to some electrical connector way up above and not sure how far up it goes but looks like it would be difficult to access. Would I need to unplug the connector to change out the seal? I saw a picture of the solenoid online. Not sure how long the 2 10mm bolts are and am a little confused on how the seal holds on to the solenoid.

The solenoid itself costs around $550?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:29 PM
FrozenApples
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

The seal ring is cheap and easy. But sometimes it's the actual solenoid itself leaking. Clean it up really well first and then keep an eye on it to see if you can tell.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrozenApples
The seal ring is cheap and easy. But sometimes it's the actual solenoid itself leaking. Clean it up really well first and then keep an eye on it to see if you can tell.
So replacing the seal ring is possible without undoing the electrical connector? I'd like to give that a shot first if possible. Thanks for your help.

And yes I will definitely give it a wipe down first and see how bad it is leaking.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

These are kink of a pain in the but to change out. the wires go through the hole which means that you have to disconnect the connector on the top of the engine, and then the connector does not fit through the hole. You may have to remove the wires from the connector. Not sure how they managed to design it this way. I have two of the covers sitting in my garage right now.

In the past I used some sealant to seal one that was leaking.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2019, 06:49 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

This is exactly what I was afraid of.

Yeah the engineering thought that went into this is definitely not the best.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-13-2019, 06:54 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Could you use a depinning tool to remove the wires from the plastic plug so you can pass them through the grommet? I've done similar with other connectors on these engines.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:05 PM
rhkwon
Instructor

Removing this part is an 18 hour job according to this thread. WTH?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-solenoid.html

Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Could you use a depinning tool to remove the wires from the plastic plug so you can pass them through the grommet? I've done similar with other connectors on these engines.

I am sure you can de-pin the connector. I have done this on my Harley for the wires to be installed in the handlebars. I will let you know as I have the engine out to do some work, fixing leaks, and I am going to replace both covers. But doing this with the engine in the car is a pain.

Quick Reply: Help with camshaft adjuster solenoid seal on valve cover