996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Roller For Sale (not mine)

Old 05-13-2019, 02:02 AM
TexSquirrel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Too bad that isn’t in the Houston area, I’d be interested if he was a little flexible on the price.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:24 AM
details
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill View Post
It's the only way I am able to roll!
If you mean low prices, yeah, I'm in the same boat.

Originally Posted by AA717driver View Post
Diabolical, really.
Originally Posted by docmirror View Post
Keep prices down. Smash up your M96 engine and turn them all into rollers. Feeding frenzy to the bottom. Do I hear $3800?
This place cracks me up. I love hanging out here.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:35 PM
Capt. Obvious
User

Alright, who bought it before I could?
Old 05-14-2019, 02:43 PM
808Bill
Super User

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post
Alright, who bought it before I could?
I don't know but I sure hope he tips his waiter
Old 05-14-2019, 03:29 PM
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member

was not me....my offer was too low....he got full price since car was perfect otherwise
Old 05-14-2019, 03:59 PM
Capt. Obvious
User

Originally Posted by lowpue View Post
was not me....my offer was too low....he got full price since car was perfect otherwise
What'd you offer? I offered him $5k sight unseen, and was thinking about upping it to $6k. When he told me he got full asking price I didn't feel so bad anymore.

There was a silver 99 with an aerokit that popped up the other day in Bellevue, but it's gone already.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:12 PM
Prelude Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tried but it was just too far away to make it all work within a reasonable amount of time. Would've been a great deal for me. After fixing it with my engine, it would've been worth a good amount. I was willing to pay full asking price. His asking price was very fair.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Capt. Obvious
User

I think $7500 was a tad high, but overall a fair price considering the overall condition of the car. I'd have happily paid $7k for it, but I didn't have the liquid funds at the moment to offer that high. Oh well. Another one will pop up eventually.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:10 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Oh well. Another one will pop up eventually.
This being the defining statement vis-a-vis the 996. If I knew a shop that would do the Chebby conversion for a reasonable fee, I'd be in the market. I am NOT going back to an M96 engine.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member

What'd you offer? I offered him $5k sight unseen, and was thinking about upping it to $6k. When he told me he got full asking price I didn't feel so bad an

There was a silver 99 with an aerokit that popped up the other day in Bellevue, but it's gone already.
i looked at this one and it's not an aerokit but rather cobbled together after being totalled at some point with no repair documentation. It was totalled like 16-17 years ago (when its value was high. everything on the car was neglected including missing weatherstripping and what was there was all brttle and cracking. the taco was a gt3...how do i know, the air intake on right side rather than left. Bottom line is with all the work, unknown repairs and salvage title...too big of a risk. the gray one was the one to have....i should have offered full price☹
Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM
Coopduc
User

IMO, the biggest issue with an LS conversion that nobody seems to talk about is the gear ratios are all wrong for the lower revving V8. Without changing the final drive ratio, 1st gear is basically useless and engine revs too high at freeway speeds in 6th. There are other ring and pinion sets available but that adds about another $3k to the conversion cost.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM
Capt. Obvious
User

Originally Posted by lowpue View Post
i looked at this one and it's not an aerokit but rather cobbled together after being totalled at some point with no repair documentation. It was totalled like 16-17 years ago (when its value was high. everything on the car was neglected including missing weatherstripping and what was there was all brttle and cracking. the taco was a gt3...how do i know, the air intake on right side rather than left. Bottom line is with all the work, unknown repairs and salvage title...too big of a risk. the gray one was the one to have....i should have offered full price☹
Good to know. That car has been put up and taken down at least three times over the last year, I wonder if it sold for real this time.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM
808Bill
Super User

I sure feel good about my $4K purchase price. Anymore and you're better off looking for a good running car.
Bat has a running 03 with no reserve right now. Might be worth watching.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:55 PM
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good to know. That car has been put up and taken down at least three times over the last year, I wonder if it sold for real this time.
yeah the car is really rough and the owner knows nothing about cars let alone Porsches and it is obvious by the condition. I guess the trick is to find a cherry car with blown engine from a pca member (like the gray one)... And if you can find one for $4k like Bill. Only way it works vs buying a running car.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:58 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coopduc View Post
IMO, the biggest issue with an LS conversion that nobody seems to talk about is the gear ratios are all wrong for the lower revving V8. Without changing the final drive ratio, 1st gear is basically useless and engine revs too high at freeway speeds in 6th. There are other ring and pinion sets available but that adds about another $3k to the conversion cost.
Man, I didn't even consider that, but you are xactly right. The fwy revs on the M96 are way high for a V8 Chebby. Another blown idea. Oh well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: