996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How much of a buzz kill is the Tiptronic in a 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 12:06 AM
mattie_k
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my Tiptronic but have a sportbike for those times I want the gearbox experience and thrills. YMMV
Old 05-10-2019, 12:46 AM
wyo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

to be fair to the TIP crowd if the right car came around and was a tip I would still be tempted (2005 996TTS Cab) I have a 2003 Turbo 6MT in my garage that I have not been driving because it needs a new clutch at 47K miles
I had to replace the clutch on my 2000 C2 right after I bought it so there is a $$$ reason to consider a TIP
Old 05-10-2019, 01:04 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob_Seattle
I have quite a few fun cars and half are manual and half are autos. As time goes on, I prefer the autos, hands down. It does not detract from the driving experience, it enhances it. When I purchased my 996 twin turbo, I went for the tippy. I find a lot of guys comment and are negative on the tippy, and almost all have never driven one. I do appreciate comments from guys whom have owned both, like WYO above. The tippy is sometimes talked down when compared to the PDK, and I will admit, the PDK is fantastic. The tippy is just as good, but it requires a mod to get paddles. The buttons on the steering wheel are a let down. I just purchased everything and will do this mod soon:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-write-up.html

My take is this: Drive a few of each versions and decided for yourself. DON'T make any decisions based on the opinions of others and DON'T think about resale. There are many threads on Rennlist as well as 6 speed that show the tippy tax (lower value) is gone. My 996tt is pushing over 500 HP and is way faster on a track than anyone in a 6 speed in a similar car/setup. It does not detract from the fun factor of the car at all.
Jacob is exactly right....I too have a bunch of cars that are a mix of double clutch and manual. And not too long ago I was a MT bigot. After my experience with my PDKs I have become quite agnostic and I am in the fortunate position to drive the car that meets the need for what kind of driving I want to do. Still love driving manual cars l the most but then I get into a double clutch machine and I am intoxicated by the fast shifts. In traffic, I really appreciate the daul clutch in automated mode...now the PDK experience is getting me thinking of getting a TIP 996 C4S or turbo for winter driving. Also, since I am likely older than most of you, I can also see that in a few years I will be driving only automated cars. Folks also talk about resale of TIP....not sure why that matters because you ae also buying it cheaper as well. Bottom line, I think you drive what you like....there is no right answer... And from my own experience, I am no longer judging....they are al good cars.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:17 AM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

My TIP is great, put i MAN and use your fingers on steering wheel, also sounds great,
Old 05-10-2019, 07:29 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I converted my 996 c2 to manual.

Tiptronic is okay. If you want engaged driving it is not the best option.

I can compare back to back for the same car and set up. Tiptronic is slower, revs slower, weighs more and is less agile. It is true that most of us will drive around the track faster in a tiptronic then a manual. But on the street the kick of a manual is much nicer.

You can not compare driving the tiptronic In the NA 996 with its Turbo (S) siblings. The vast additional power and torque makes it a different addition and the triptronic might be more suitable for some of us.

If you decide to buy a tiptronic I highly recommend to do the paddle conversion. And go for the 996.2 rather then the 996.1
Old 05-10-2019, 08:14 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I guess it depends on how you plan on driving it. Is it a daily driver? I don't know how hard you plan on driving it but its not like I'm hitting 6000rpm in every gear and driving it hard all the time. My point is people seem to say you need a manual but I just can't figure why unless your driving it like its on a race track overtime you take it out.

To be clear I have a manual but thats because thats what the car I wanted happened to have in it. If it were an automatic I would have still bought it.

As far as resale, who cares? Its a car which means its a depreciating asset. In addition if the resale really is worse, that means you will pay less to acquire it so if you sell and get less you saved it on the front.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:58 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
I don't know how hard you plan on driving it but its not like I'm hitting 6000rpm in every gear and driving it hard all the time. My point is people seem to say you need a manual but I just can't figure why unless your driving it like its on a race track overtime you take it out.

Doesn't everyone??
Old 05-10-2019, 11:06 AM
NickHolloman
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
I guess it depends on how you plan on driving it. Is it a daily driver? I don't know how hard you plan on driving it but its not like I'm hitting 6000rpm in every gear and driving it hard all the time. My point is people seem to say you need a manual but I just can't figure why unless your driving it like its on a race track overtime you take it out.
Saying you only need a manual on the track is just ridiculous. To me it's not about maximizing performance, its about the joy of driving and the experience. These aren't "fast" cars (Carreras), they're fun cars. There's nothing quite like driving a 911 with a proper stick and clutch.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:08 AM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
Doesn't everyone??
Pretty much...
Old 05-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Hope you aren't losing a limb old man

Originally Posted by Cuda911
My 996 was a Tip. Great car! You have to drive in M mode, though. Like PDK, it will hunt out high gears and low RPM in D mode. Tracked it plenty, performed great!
Go drive it, form your own opinion, A step up in power and room from 986 S

I think Mike has owned a few 986/996 and later chassis, Track experienced. I think he wouldn't sound as positive if it wasn't a good experience.

Personally I've only driven one when my Boxster S was in P shop and I got to use one for a few days. Both my wife and I liked it. I could own one especially if it had Turbo spinning it.

The PDK is nice also, but your looking double you expense.

Last edited by Mike Mullins; 05-10-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:39 PM
bull3t
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you have knee problems, get a manual
Old 05-10-2019, 02:13 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 778 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by maj75
I’m in the market for a 996. I had a 986 S and loved it but the convertible thing just didn’t get much use and it’s getting hard to find one where the top is still in good shape. I’ve always had manual transmissions in my fun cars including the 986 and 944 turbo. I’ve always thought about getting a 996 coupe.

A 2002 Carrera 4s is locally for sale, but has the automatic. Does the auto kill the fun? This would be mostly a street car with the rare track day thrown in. Will the auto stand up to track time?

Anyone regret getting the auto, or the manual?
If you are only considering a Tip because this car is near you and looks nice, then wait for a manual for sure. If you need an automatic because you are in stop-and-go traffic, then 996.2 Tip is sportier than a 996.1. Only get Tip if you need automatic (and I would add only get 4wd if you need 4wd, or a 4s ) because both options add a lot of weight and affect driving feel a lot. I had a 996.1 Carrera 4 Tip and I regretted it, driving fun wise (otherwise a great car), but my wife loved the convenience of the automatic. Now we have a 996.1 2wd manual and love it (wife misses the convenience of the automatic though).

PDK is totally different than Tip -- PDK is an automated manual and the driving feel is essentially the same as a manual. Tip is very different from a manual transmission (or PDK) in driving feel.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 831 Posts

Get what you like, what we think doesn't matter.

However, if you've always had manuals and generally prefer them, you might not be happy if you settle for an automatic. Or maybe you'll test drive a Tiptronic car and decide you really like it after all.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:40 PM
colnago1331
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't speak to tip vs. manual on a 911, but I can speak to auto vs. manual generally. For me - manual is the way to go. My commute is not, for the most part, stop-and-go traffic; it's more highway than anything else. I'm also blessed not to have back, leg, ankle, or knee problems. I currently have 3 vehicles - a Mazda CX-9 in auto, a Saab 9-3 convertible in manual, and an Audi GT Coupe in manual - and I cannot tell you how antsy I get when I have to drive the CX-9 for days or weeks on end, and it's a "fun" CUV and easily the nicest of the three vehicles.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NickHolloman
Saying you only need a manual on the track is just ridiculous. To me it's not about maximizing performance, its about the joy of driving and the experience. These aren't "fast" cars (Carreras), they're fun cars. There's nothing quite like driving a 911 with a proper stick and clutch.
Im curious, where did I mention its only good on a track? Its a personal preference to each his own. You must have missed the part where I said mine was a standard? Its almost as if you didn't read my comment at all and just made your own conclusions on my thoughts lmao...

Quick Reply: How much of a buzz kill is the Tiptronic in a 996