Sponsored by:

How much of a buzz kill is the Tiptronic in a 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 09:25 PM
maj75
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How much of a buzz kill is the Tiptronic in a 996

I’m in the market for a 996. I had a 986 S and loved it but the convertible thing just didn’t get much use and it’s getting hard to find one where the top is still in good shape. I’ve always had manual transmissions in my fun cars including the 986 and 944 turbo. I’ve always thought about getting a 996 coupe.

A 2002 Carrera 4s is locally for sale, but has the automatic. Does the auto kill the fun? This would be mostly a street car with the rare track day thrown in. Will the auto stand up to track time?

Anyone regret getting the auto, or the manual?
Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

There was a guy here who did a lot of club racing (successfully) and only used cars with Tiptronics. Take it for a drive in manual mode and judge for yourself. You will probably hear from people who have never driven one and will tell you to stay away. Such is the Internet.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:39 PM
HoustonCgrBkr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

There are times I wish I had a triptronic. Namely bumper to bumper traffic and when I feel lazy and it would be easier to not have to shift in city driving.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:50 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

dont do it, if you are used to manuals you will regret it, automatics from back then are not like the ones today, plus the resale value will be higher on a manual

if you will daily drive it then maybe
Old 05-09-2019, 09:56 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've driven a number of manual sports cars but have owned a 996 Turbo Tip (for sale in classifieds) the last five and a half years and it has been a rewarding experience. The dynamic shift maps in the Tiptronic S (not sure
if the Turbo has different mapping than the NA cars) is almost intuitive. It holds a gear in a tight turn even when revs are high and matches it's shifting patterns to how aggressive you choose to drive. Without having to deal with shifting, I find it easier to think more about weight distribution, traction, turning angles and other dynamic factors. I've never tracked the car, but find Sunday drives more enjoyable - even when there is heavy traffic!

Like others have noted, personal preference but I don't miss shifting any more than I miss manual chokes or carburetors. Time moves on and technology improves.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:26 PM
maj75
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m retired so I don’t have to do rush hour traffic any more but did drive manuals, even then. I wish I could afford a PDK, but I wouldn’t spend that kind of money for a toy.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:45 PM
wyo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

1st Porsche was a tip it motivated me to get a 6mt
If I ever get a 911 that is not a manual I will get a PDK
Old 05-09-2019, 10:53 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 78 Posts

I purposefully went for an automatic as a daily driver. At 6' 3", shifting can be a bit ..... less than inspiring.

Sure, a manual is more fun but I am looking for a more relaxed driving experience. Besides, when I really want to put my foot down, the 996 does not disappoint.

As well, you can always add the merc paddle shifter mod for a few bucks, if you are handy and into that kinda thing.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:54 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,957 Posts

If you have always drove manuals even in heavy traffic, sounds like you are a manual guy, I think you would regret it. The Tip is great for daily driving and commuting, and even fun and holds up well on the track, and like has been mentioned allows you to focus on driving which results in faster lap times. I always drive mine in manual mode even for heavy traffic or just commuting (have paddle shifters and also the Tip buttons)and rarely miss "rowing the gears". But I have a 996 6MT also for occasional "fix". The manual will make the car more lively feeling and a bit more fun for the spirited drive. If it is a Turbo 996 I suggest the Tip, they are lively enough, and don't need any "help" from the gear box, and are all you can handle with the Tiptronic. IMHO
Old 05-09-2019, 10:56 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Go drive one for yourself, that's the only way you'll know whether or not it's for you. I wanted a tip but a manual fell in my lap and I'm not regretting it one bit.
Now if I had to deal with rush hour traffic on a regular basis, the tip would be my choice.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:02 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 383 Posts

If it's your Daily Driver and you'll be sitting in traffic a bunch, get the tip. I have one and I love it!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:03 PM
Jacob_Seattle
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have quite a few fun cars and half are manual and half are autos. As time goes on, I prefer the autos, hands down. It does not detract from the driving experience, it enhances it. When I purchased my 996 twin turbo, I went for the tippy. I find a lot of guys comment and are negative on the tippy, and almost all have never driven one. I do appreciate comments from guys whom have owned both, like WYO above. The tippy is sometimes talked down when compared to the PDK, and I will admit, the PDK is fantastic. The tippy is just as good, but it requires a mod to get paddles. The buttons on the steering wheel are a let down. I just purchased everything and will do this mod soon:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-write-up.html

My take is this: Drive a few of each versions and decided for yourself. DON'T make any decisions based on the opinions of others and DON'T think about resale. There are many threads on Rennlist as well as 6 speed that show the tippy tax (lower value) is gone. My 996tt is pushing over 500 HP and is way faster on a track than anyone in a 6 speed in a similar car/setup. It does not detract from the fun factor of the car at all.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

My 996 was a Tip. Great car! You have to drive in M mode, though. Like PDK, it will hunt out high gears and low RPM in D mode. Tracked it plenty, performed great!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:15 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I must be strange, because I do not like the way an auto behaves in heavy traffic. Manuals, you can just roll in neutral and modulate easily between neutral, first, and second gear. The auto won’t down or upshift at certain RPMs and I don’t like throwing it in neutral if the point of an auto is not to have to move levers and such.

I always had manuals, but switched to a BMW SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox), which is an automated manual (single-clutch). I hated that transmission, mostly because of the jerkiness, and also because of the complexity.

Only you would know if you could live with an auto by test driving each back to back.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:24 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve driven a ton in each and unless you’re an amputee or over 85 I can’t see why anyone would buy a tip. Tiptronics from that generation were a far cry from more modern PDKs.

If you are a manual guy, you will regret buying an automatic

Quick Reply: How much of a buzz kill is the Tiptronic in a 996