Sponsored by:

Should I repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:51 PM
jamren
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I repaint?

I have paint chips on my 1999 996. If I repaint the hood and front bumper, will it make the car harder to sell in a couple years? Thoughts welcomed....
Old 05-07-2019, 01:53 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If its blended properly it shouldn't be an issue in my eyes. If you choose to paint your car for cosmetic purposes and not an accident it shouldn't come up in a car fax....
Old 05-07-2019, 01:56 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 390 Posts

As long as you pay someone that really knows what they're doing, shouldn't be a problem. What color is the car? Some are harder to match, and it also depends on how much your paint has been faded by UV over the years.

Pay a pro!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:57 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

lol, it's a 996 - you could wallpaper it and not affect resale value It's not like anyone is paying a premium for a box stock example such as might be the case for a 959. Just sayin'.

But, as noted above, a good paint job should enhance value or at least help hold it static. I had my 996 resprayed a few years ago to make me happy. resale value never entered my mind, but when it was done the car looked great so I'd suspect it enhanced curb appeal of the car and thus overall value.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:58 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Just take before and after pics to include with the sale.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,013 Posts

alternative is to get it wrapped instead of painted. can be removed if/when you want to sell it.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

If you're just repairing the same color that's on the sticker - so many of the 996's have been sprayed. Mine included. If you're changing the color that could make things tricky with resale. Then again - 996 values are what they are.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:33 PM
jamren
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
As long as you pay someone that really knows what they're doing, shouldn't be a problem. What color is the car? Some are harder to match, and it also depends on how much your paint has been faded by UV over the years.

Pay a pro!
Color is glacier white...
Old 05-07-2019, 02:55 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Find a good detailer to do the rock chips and a wet sand. Then have the whole car buffed and polished. You will be surprised at how good it will look for less than 1/3 the cost of a repaint. No color matching, no overspray, no looking that the car and saying should have repainted the whole thing.

Just a thought.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:02 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I prefer a repainted bumper (if well done) than one with chips and scratches... Our cars are not such collectibles...
Old 05-07-2019, 03:02 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
Find a good detailer to do the rock chips and a wet sand. Then have the whole car buffed and polished. You will be surprised at how good it will look for less than 1/3 the cost of a repaint. No color matching, no overspray, no looking that the car and saying should have repainted the whole thing.

Just a thought.
I've done this a few times with my cars when I didn't feel like painting it. It is a good solution/option to your question. I'm going to do that to mine which I just painted last winter after my first time at the track this past Saturday which really chipped up my front bumper.

After saying that I have to say and please no one take this wrong its just my opinion... why do some worry so much about resale value? for me.. .FOR ME I've never owned a car and spent time worrying about resale. when I buy a car 90% of the time I modify it in some way because my intention is to purely enjoy the car and not care what others say about it.. my current green meany kinda shows that lol Just my opinion... do what you want with your car to enjoy your car. someone will like what ever you do for it and pay what your asking for it and if not.. your driving a car that you put the time/money into that you will enjoy.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:28 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jamren
Color is glacier white...
One of the hardest colors to match because there are so many variations of white and the clear coat tends to yellow over the years. Ask me how I know? I was having the bumpers and rear deck lid repainted on my 99 996 by a very high end shop in CA. They could not match the color (Glacier White). They even had a Porsche factory rep come by to analyze the paint. Finally it was determined that the clear coat had slightly yellowed. They ended up striping the clear coat and totally reclearing the entire car. Came out amazing and looks great but it was not cheap.. So be careful..
Old 05-07-2019, 04:49 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

I had little stone chips on various body panels.
See pics, then see video of repair from Porsche Dealership in Syracuse, NY.
They have a 40+ bay body shop with 3 very large high tech paint booths.
Paint techs wear head to toe coverage with air hoses.
They have a glass window viewing area for customers to watch the techs.
It was not cheap, but it came out very nice, IMO.

While at shop

Here is finish.
The Oreint Red Metalic was just touched up and blended with high tech color match and the cleared

Old 05-07-2019, 05:05 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,390 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Just repaint it.
It won’t negatively affect the value if done correctly.
My Seal Grey was thought to match, but in the end looks great.
The shop I used took their time to do it right.
I‘ll likely be long gone before any 996 C2 or C4 is a serious collectible.
Mine never will since I’ve modded it.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:10 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
lol, it's a 996 - you could wallpaper it and not affect resale value It's not like anyone is paying a premium for a box stock example such as might be the case for a 959. Just sayin'.

But, as noted above, a good paint job should enhance value or at least help hold it static. I had my 996 resprayed a few years ago to make me happy. resale value never entered my mind, but when it was done the car looked great so I'd suspect it enhanced curb appeal of the car and thus overall value.
Lol, super fresco paper?

Quick Reply: Should I repaint?