Sponsored by:

IMS Solution => engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 01:20 AM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 78 Posts
Default IMS Solution => engine removal

So I have my indy doing a IMS Solution for me. Only thing is he has dropped the engine. He tells me that it was needed because it is a 4S and an automatic.

Anyway, while it's out, I have him doing:

Plugs
Coil packs
Coolant reservoir
Accessory belt

The aos and water pump are new. The rms is also being done.

I have 100% confidence in this guy.. but I was surprised at the engine drop.

Comments??
Old 05-05-2019, 02:32 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Yes, automatic requires dropping the engine.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:30 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I cant imagine an engine drop taking an experienced tech too much time. Sure does make working on the motor alot easier too
Old 05-05-2019, 10:21 AM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

I've got mine going in this week. IMS, RMS, Clutch, AOS and I am sure some of the other things you mentioned. Might as well just bang it all out and enjoy the car with some peace of mind. Next will most likely be a suspension refresh.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Bob Dobolina
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I’ve been pricing the IMS work from three different shops and they all told me you have to drop the engine if it is an automatic.

Im also thinking of doing a few maintenance things while the engine is out. Did you think about replacing the AOS while the engine is out? The part itself is only $100 but I understand the labor costs are significant if the engine is in the car. Others know more than me...it’s just what I have read.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:10 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Dobolina
I’ve been pricing the IMS work from three different shops and they all told me you have to drop the engine if it is an automatic.

Im also thinking of doing a few maintenance things while the engine is out. Did you think about replacing the AOS while the engine is out? The part itself is only $100 but I understand the labor costs are significant if the engine is in the car. Others know more than me...it’s just what I have read.
My AOS is new. The place I bought the car from replaced it just before purchase. Actually kinda funny, the old one went while on the test drive.

If it wasn't new, I would definitely have replaced it. Hell, I'm even replacing the coolant tank as I hear they are damn near impossible to replace on a automatic without dropping the engine.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:36 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Yep, it's an engine out procedure on a Tip. I'm getting ready to have my LNE dual row IMSB replaced after 7 years as a precaution. I'll have them do the AOS too, which is also an engine out deal for my car.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:19 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Indy is having a hard time finding a Tiptronic shifter cable (@ close to $350!). Anyone have just they end they would be willing to part with?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:38 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Its listed here as a separate part: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=701-01. I ran into the same problem several years ago & rather than waiting for availability, made a permanent repair of the rubber part with window-weld urethane.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:36 AM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark I
Its listed here as a separate part: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=701-01. I ran into the same problem several years ago & rather than waiting for availability, made a permanent repair of the rubber part with window-weld urethane.
Unfortunately it's too flipping late. The cable assembly will be in within a day or 2. I don't think he would be willing to use anything other than an OEM or porsche part.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:05 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tom__w
My AOS is new. The place I bought the car from replaced it just before purchase. Actually kinda funny, the old one went while on the test drive.
That's how I got a brand new battery for mine before purchase. The Indy where I got the pre-purchase done tried to charge the old battery for hours and couldn't get it to hold enough of a charge to start the engine.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:31 AM
Mark Henry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGI
I cant imagine an engine drop taking an experienced tech too much time. Sure does make working on the motor alot easier too
Yes, I've done IMS in the car but if I have to do other work, especially the AOS and water pump it's easier just to drop the engine. I'd say doing the trans removal, pulling the AC pump etc you're already 80% of the way to dropping the engine. If I'm dumping the coolant it's just easier to drop the engine/trans.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:31 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Well, it's getting close. I stopped by there today to take a look. My indy was able to find the the end piece for the shifter cable ($35 vs $250+). He also told me that the expansion tank was only $175. He may have been mistaken but he says it is coming right from Porsche.

He told me that realistically there are only a few guys in the area that do this kind of work on Porsche cars on a regular basis (https://apexautowerks.com/). He seems to think that the other shops are in cahoots (great word). He said that he simply does not rip off his customers,

Aside from this taking WAY TOO long, I trust this indy 110% and would recommend him (if you can schedule your work better then mine). In all, he is doing:
  • IMS Solution (the single row that came out had the slightest play but no cruchyness)
  • RMS
  • Coil packs
  • Plugs
  • Expansion tank
  • Front rubber drive shaft coupler
  • Automatic shifter cable end
  • Accessory belt
  • Reconnecting XLF option vacuum lines. They were disconnected??
  • Replacing some missing flange bolts that weren't put back in when the AOS was done
  • Reconnecting at least one vacuum line that was just hanging there

I also asked about other bolt on goodies for more horses. He laughed at the IPD Plenum as adding any more HP. He should know, he has a Mustang dyno that he has tested it on. His only suggestion was a tune and removing the cats and adding X-pipes for an added 15-20 hp. Not something I would do at this point.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Shouldn't leave the brake calipers hanging like that. Should be supported with coat hangers or zip ties to keep the tension off the brake lines.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
Shouldn't leave the brake calipers hanging like that. Should be supported with coat hangers or zip ties to keep the tension off the brake lines.
^^My thought exactly!!! Unless he's replacing the brake flex lines too...

Quick Reply: IMS Solution => engine removal