Sponsored by:

Be Safe out there...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 06:48 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry, its going to be a total. You can buy it back, negotiate in good faith. Don't get over-eager. A lot of that stuff is bolt off, bolt on, don't mess with bondo. So you'll have a branded title. You'll still have the car you like.

Stuff happens, no injury to the humans, and the deer barely ever knew what hit him. BTW, don't hit an elk. EVAR.....
Old 04-30-2019, 01:50 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Update on this. I picked an approved shop for a repair estimate online; my ins company made it super easy. The shop I picked was a bit of a drive from my house but it seems to get great reviews and they have been in business since 1974...

At first I really thought they would total it out when they saw the damage. But once the guy punched it all in and worked it up, he said the value of the car is $19k and the estimate for repair is $10k so they are moving ahead with repair!

I think they will find a few things that need to do extra when they dig in, but he said that's ok there is still room in the budget without totaling the car....

Goes in the shop next Tuesday morning and should take a week to get done. I'll post after pics when its all done.

So one more question for you guys, I want to save the under hood options sticker the paper one with all the codes on it. It looks super hard to remove without tearing it or destroying it. I'd like to re-glue it on the new hood. I'm thinking heat or steam might get it off? Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:57 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Great news. I had a similar experience. A couple of tips: If they find something that puts the car over the limit, work with the shop and maybe put some money out of pocket to avoid the salvage title. My driver's door was replaced, so I took a photo of the Date of Manufacture tag which I knew would be lost when they replaced the door. Take a photo of your options list and print out a copy.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:11 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Update on this. I picked an approved shop for a repair estimate online; my ins company made it super easy. The shop I picked was a bit of a drive from my house but it seems to get great reviews and they have been in business since 1974...

At first I really thought they would total it out when they saw the damage. But once the guy punched it all in and worked it up, he said the value of the car is $19k and the estimate for repair is $10k so they are moving ahead with repair!

I think they will find a few things that need to do extra when they dig in, but he said that's ok there is still room in the budget without totaling the car....

Goes in the shop next Tuesday morning and should take a week to get done. I'll post after pics when its all done.

So one more question for you guys, I want to save the under hood options sticker the paper one with all the codes on it. It looks super hard to remove without tearing it or destroying it. I'd like to re-glue it on the new hood. I'm thinking heat or steam might get it off? Any ideas?
That is great news. I personally never saw this as a total unless there was some sort of structural damage that can't be seen from the pictures.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:25 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Good news....I'ts what you were hoping...will they refinish the whole car?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:56 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, you made it. Barely, usually 50% rule applies if the repairs are half the value of the car, they'll total it. If you had taken it to the stealer, they would est the repairs around $17k, and that would be that. It sounds like your ins co wants to keep you happy. All good, best of luck.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 PM
details
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Perhaps you could keep the hood and/or cut a rectangle of metal including the sticker?
Old 05-01-2019, 01:42 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Take a picture and print a copy on avery adhesive sticker paper.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:25 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Well as a FYI I got the options sticker off today. It was very easy!

I just marked the reverse side of the hood with a sharpie so I knew where the sticker was, then using a hot air gun on low I heated the area and starting in one of the corners pulled the sticker. Temperature was just a little too hot to touch directly. The sticker comes out quite easily, just go slow.

I'll figure out either some new adhesive to apply it to the new hood when its all fixed.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:55 PM
Two0FourTarga
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, I hope your're ok! Second, if the insurance company does opt to write off your car for whatever reason, if you get a solid payout, you could just buy back you car, repair it, and then walk away with some nice cash in hand. Obviously this is assuming there is no frame damage and it just involves replacing the cosmetic parts.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:32 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Two0FourTarga
First off, I hope your're ok! Second, if the insurance company does opt to write off your car for whatever reason, if you get a solid payout, you could just buy back you car, repair it, and then walk away with some nice cash in hand. Obviously this is assuming there is no frame damage and it just involves replacing the cosmetic parts.
You're a day late and a dollar short...Chris is way past that.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:07 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Well as a FYI I got the options sticker off today. It was very easy!

I just marked the reverse side of the hood with a sharpie so I knew where the sticker was, then using a hot air gun on low I heated the area and starting in one of the corners pulled the sticker. Temperature was just a little too hot to touch directly. The sticker comes out quite easily, just go slow.

I'll figure out either some new adhesive to apply it to the new hood when its all fixed.
Great job! I would scan it or take a high resolution picture of the label. There is a guy on the Porsche Facebook forums that reproduces these labels. He's done several for me and they look identical to the original. Even has that dot matrix print look too. I believe his charge is $30 + shipping. Happy to get you his email if you prefer to make some backups.

Also, you really need to save the hood crest and rubber washer. I would save it for need projects or backup if something happens to the replacement.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:24 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Great job! I would scan it or take a high resolution picture of the label. There is a guy on the Porsche Facebook forums that reproduces these labels. He's done several for me and they look identical to the original. Even has that dot matrix print look too. I believe his charge is $30 + shipping. Happy to get you his email if you prefer to make some backups.

Also, you really need to save the hood crest and rubber washer. I would save it for need projects or backup if something happens to the replacement.
Thank, I'll see how putting the old sticker back on goes. I opted to keep all the old parts so I get the badge and hood and old smashed lights etc car should be back mid next week
Old 06-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Default update

So I got the car back, when I picked it up I immediately had to take it back as a blinked bulb seemed to pop. So they fixed it while I waited.

After a day or so I noticed they missed a small ding on the top of the fender, the deer must have bumped it with its knee or something as it tumbled. So they sent out a paintless dent guy to do it and charged it to the insurance.

Overall I'm happy with the repair, paint is good, all lines up nicely. Windscreen is new, they replaced the whole windscreen surround too.

I stuck my options sticker back under the hood with a gluestick.

Glad to have it back, just got to get through smog now...lol

Old 06-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,013 Posts

congrats on getting your car back!

Quick Reply: Be Safe out there...