996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Be Safe out there...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 10:36 AM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Sorry to see this but glad you are okay. I had someone who was on their way to drop off a car for a detail and hit a deer on his way. Less than a week later I had someone stop over for a quote that had just gotten his car back from hitting a deer and it was the same car and color as the other guy. Both MK7 GTIs, in red, 4 doors and hit a deer in the same front passenger side spot.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:52 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Buy it back, pick up a roller, throw your engine and other good parts into it and call it a day. You’ll be back in a 911 with a weekend worth of effort, with a known good drivetrain.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:09 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by rolex11
No one ever cares about the deer. So I will.

Glad you're ok. Hope the car can be fixed.

How's the deer? Did you find him. Hope he/she is ok. To bad innocent deer are killed and hurt like this.

I suppose if it were a dog some of you would care.

Last time I asked about the fate of the deer the mods threw points at me....
Oh man you just reminded me of one of the funniest calls into a radio show...I've hit two deer in my life and it sucks!
So sorry Chris.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5C62&FORM=VIRE
I had a guy fly out of his drive way in reverse and totaled my 67 VW bus, Smashed in the front end and it was totaled. I got the insurance money, bought it back (I just put a new motor in it) and drove it for a year, then fixed it and had it on the road for another ten years...I made out good! As mentioned above buy it back and look for a cheap one running or a roller (they are out there) as you know I'm in one.
Good luck!

Last edited by 808Bill; 04-28-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:14 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1
I️ caught your post before you edited it. FOURTY THREE deer!! I️ was gonna say...man
Ha ha yeah I caught that as soon as it posted!
Old 04-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Oh man you just reminded me of one of the funniest calls into a radio show...I've hit two deer in my life and it sucks!
So sorry Chris.
I had a guy fly out of his drive way in reverse and totaled my 67 VW bus, Smashed in the front end and it was totaled. I got the insurance money, bought it back (I just put a new motor in it) and drove it for a year, then fixed it and had it on the road for another ten years...I made out good! As mentioned above buy it back and look for a cheap one running or a roller (they are out there) as you know I'm in one.
Good luck!
THAT was so hysterical! Keep listening to the followup calls. She calls back and talks about what an idiot she was after it was explained to her!
Old 04-28-2019, 02:47 PM
shft22
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Getting liability insurance for a rebuilt title should be no problem, full coverage may be more challenging. Not sure why an umbrella policy would care if anything but liability, this is a question. I am far from an insurance expert.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:14 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I think it depends on the state and insurance company. When my car was hit and the claims adjuster said that the car may be totaled, I asked about buying it back. He said they don't do that. That was Allstate in New York.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:47 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,346 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
I think it depends on the state and insurance company.
I agree. I have a BMW with a salvage title that has been insured for 13 years first with USAA and then Hagerty. The Hagerty policy is an agreed value of $10,000. The salvage title has never been an issue.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:24 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry to see that but glad that you are OK. I hit a deer in my Mustang one night driving home from the Detroit auto show with my son. I saw the deer running, I hit the brakes hard and swerved but the stupid deer stopped right in the middle of the road. Hit the deer in the *** end, but it ran off. Ended up being $5,400 in damage - bumper, hood, headlight (HID) assembly, front fender, and to add insult to injury the deer kicked the passenger door as he ran off. Fortunately we were not hurt, just mad. Ohio is over run with deer - did not realize that was a problem in California.
Daryll
Old 04-29-2019, 12:46 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
So sorry Chris.
Good luck!
OMG he should have told her to top off her headlight fluid to keep the lights brighter to scare them off....holy tin foil hat....
Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Not to change the intent of the posting, but I think that the deer actually need better education, and, shouldn't the signs face to the sides of the road, how can the deer see them when the sign is facing traffic...
Old 04-29-2019, 07:58 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dak911
Not to change the intent of the posting, but I think that the deer actually need better education, and, shouldn't the signs face to the sides of the road, how can the deer see them when the sign is facing traffic...
Those are for the deer walking along the side of the road. They have other ones in the woods for the deer to see and know where to come out of the woods. Sheesh gotta 'splain everyting to youse peeples!
Old 04-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I had never made contact with a deer despite living in Georgia and South Carolina the past 38 years. A week ago, I drove the 996 to the house and safely tucked it away in my garage. I hopped in my Mazda to drive back to our other residence. It was a warm clear night around 11:30pm. I had a doe run across the road in front of me when I was traveling about 50 mph. It cleared to my right, so I immediately looked to my left since they often follow each other. The head of a deer running wide open suddenly appeared in the headlight beam. I didn't slow down in that split second, because I thought I could get ahead of it. No suck luck. It ran into me ah hit just behind the driver's door. It left two pretty good dents in the rear door.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:53 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Here in Hawaii, wild Boar are an issue (no predators) and are as bad as the dear population if not worse. Asian drivers visiting are our greatest threats on the roads here They try to do some really dangerous merging or U turns without looking...I'll probably get banned for saying that but it's true!
Old 04-29-2019, 04:58 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Just 30 mins ago driving on highway 4 and a deer jumped out at the last second. No chance to avoid it I'm really hoping I can get my car fixed its not written off. Looks like hood, fenders, headlights, bumper and windscreen. Car still drives...

Now over to the West Coast section to look around for a body shop

Holy bush cookies! That's a dent. You say that came from a deer? Musta been the size of an elephant. Just glad you're ok. Is that your wife in the picture? Don't know if you believe in prayer or not, but this would be a good time to start giving thanks! Count your blessings, sir. The car can be fixed. Bring it over to my house and I'll suck that monster dent out, I got one of those Ding King kits off the shopping network.

Quick Reply: Be Safe out there...