Sponsored by:

Be Safe out there...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 12:49 AM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sb3
Glad your ok. Poor car, hope it can be fixed.
Glad you're ok. Poor deer, hope it's ok. Hope car can be fixed.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:56 AM
rolex11
Pro

No one ever cares about the deer. So I will.

Glad you're ok. Hope the car can be fixed.

How's the deer? Did you find him. Hope he/she is ok. To bad innocent deer are killed and hurt like this.

I suppose if it were a dog some of you would care.

Last time I asked about the fate of the deer the mods threw points at me....
Old 04-28-2019, 01:07 AM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

What a bummer, but the best is you are ok. Hope the animal is not suffering too, but I'll lean towards the human life side first. I count my blessings with the near misses I've had (knock on wood). Best wishes for your car too.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:16 AM
rolex11
Pro

Originally Posted by Flyfishnick
What a bummer, but the best is you are ok. Hope the animal is not suffering too, but I'll lean towards the human life side first. I count my blessings with the near misses I've had (knock on wood). Best wishes for your car too.
...."Hope the animal is not suffering too"...

Yes humans first never said otherwise, but I care of animals too, however second. Usually second, depends on the human.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:01 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Glad you're OK!
Car is likely totaled, but easy to rebuild with used parts from eBay.
I would buy back from the insurance company and fix it and drive it.
The rest of the insurance money can be used for fun mods and other toys.
If you don't want to fix it, buy it back and resell to one of us, or to a dismantler, and make a quick grand or two.
I'm sure someone, including me, would be interested if the price is right.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:11 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks again everyone.

I'm really hoping its not totaled, I don't know what I would replace it with. When I got it I put an LN dual row IMS, new clutch, new AOS, new engine mounts, water pump, low temp thermostat etc etc

I also think the engine is in great shape, so I got a 'good one' it runs perfect

If its totaled and I go look at another I'm right back at square one. I take a gamble on another 996 and I have to go through all that crap all over again doing the upgrades and stuff.

What happens if I buy it from the insurance and decide to fix it myself? would it have a salvage title? I don't want a salvage title car

If its totaled and I looked at other cars there is nothing close to it, maybe a Honda 2000? Lotus Elise's are going for $30k+ now, Evora's are $38k+ I don't like BMW's...blughgghhhhhh
Old 04-28-2019, 02:13 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rolex11
No one ever cares about the deer. So I will.

Glad you're ok. Hope the car can be fixed.

How's the deer? Did you find him. Hope he/she is ok. To bad innocent deer are killed and hurt like this.

I suppose if it were a dog some of you would care.

Last time I asked about the fate of the deer the mods threw points at me....
The deer was dead, it looks like its head hit the windscreen in the corner which is why it punched through. It probably broke its neck as it got thrown 30-40 feet right across the road on the shoulder of the opposite side
Old 04-28-2019, 02:21 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Thanks again everyone.

I'm really hoping its not totaled, I don't know what I would replace it with. When I got it I put an LN dual row IMS, new clutch, new AOS, new engine mounts, water pump, low temp thermostat etc etc

I also think the engine is in great shape, so I got a 'good one' it runs perfect

If its totaled and I go look at another I'm right back at square one. I take a gamble on another 996 and I have to go through all that crap all over again doing the upgrades and stuff.

What happens if I buy it from the insurance and decide to fix it myself? would it have a salvage title? I don't want a salvage title car

If its totaled and I looked at other cars there is nothing close to it, maybe a Honda 2000? Lotus Elise's are going for $30k+ now, Evora's are $38k+ I don't like BMW's...blughgghhhhhh
I think the headlights, hood,1 fender, and bumper would total it.
Yes, if you buy it back it will have a salvage title.
Tough to sell, and may be a problem getting full coverage insurance.
MY insurance co won't cover a car that they total.
Because of insurance umbrella policy, I can't insure one that has been totaled by them, so I would have to see if they would exclude it from my umbrella policy.
That's why I usually shy away from salvage titles.
But I'd consider one in good mechanical condition that looks like I could repair myself. (Which it looks like yours fits)
If they total it, ask about buy back!
I'm definitely interested and would hope to add to your cost to make it worthwhile!!
I might flip it, but I would hope to hold onto it as a second car if it ran well.
I normally don't deal with out of state cars, but I'd do it for a Rennlist member I "know."
The best choice for replacing a 996 is a 996 or 997 IMHO.
If something totals mine, and it is not worth it to me to fix, then I'd buy another 996 or a 997.
I'll always own a 996 or 997 from now on.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:53 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Glad you are OK....Sorry about your loss though it looks fixable
Old 04-28-2019, 04:34 AM
rolex11
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
The deer was dead, it looks like its head hit the windscreen in the corner which is why it punched through. It probably broke its neck as it got thrown 30-40 feet right across the road on the shoulder of the opposite side
Thanks for that Chris. Wrong place wrong time accident.
GL on repair/replace...
Old 04-28-2019, 07:16 AM
Dana Whicker
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad you are ok. I will be shocked if that's not totalled. If it is you'll have no trouble selling it here. Good luck with the adjuster.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:14 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

IMHO..Insurance companies seem to be totaling more and more cars there is a HUGE salvage yard near my studio,, lots of trucks arriving all day long with cars that seem to have not too much "visible" damage....
If it were my car I would definitely try to "buy it back", the repairs do not look very extensive...use used parts...it would make a great DD with everything you've done to it.
A salvage title is not the worst thing in the world, these cars are very "sale-able"...take extensive pix and make a "presentation", there are lots of guys who perhaps can't afford a "queen", looking for an "inexpensive" Porsche.....
PRICE is the key....(and if you don't intend to keep it after, don't go overboard with the repair costs...)
Old 04-28-2019, 09:36 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about the car, glad you are OK. A number of years ago I️ had an encounter with a deer. I’ve been driving for 25 years and well over a half a million miles and it’s the only time I’ve ever hit anything. I️ was headed down I️ -196 in Michigan and it’s a divided highway where they don’t mow the median. The sucker just jumped out in front of me, I️ had zero time to react. I️ hit him so hard, he cut his jugular on the right front fender and the last
I️ saw He head was facing downward as he sailed past the passenger window, body facing up as he was heading INTO the air. Luckily, nobody got hurt, but he totaled a very nice example of the best minivan ever made, the Mazda MPV. I’m so angry I️ could never find another nice example after that. Here’s the gory details-

Old 04-28-2019, 09:54 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

I have hit 4 deer in my life. My Nissan Pathfinder's front end was on top of one. Called my dad and the troopers. They had to put a bullet in it to stop it from suffering. My father put it in his truck and butchered it (hunter) to eat. Another one the trooper and I had to search in the woods and follow the blood trail until we found it. The third broke its leg but was not able to find it after 1.5 hours of looking. I was lucky all times minimal damage to the car and none to me. A friend hit one in his Mazda and almost died. He's pretty disabled. My brother hit one on his bike. He put it up for sale and never rode again. I am sympathetic to these animals. After all, we are the ones who invade their nature. I still can't help feeling that those large rodents are an infestation...

I drive a salvage title 996 and couldn't care less. Insurance never asked me about salvage Minor front end damage not as extensive as yours. But I fixed up the car and have been running it with permagrin ever since!
Buy back from insurance it will definitely be totaled. One of us including me will definitely buy it from you if you do not want to fix yourself. I highly recommend you get it fixed and keep driving, PERFECT example of a well taken care of car!
Old 04-28-2019, 09:59 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
I have hit 4 deer in my life. My Nissan Pathfinder's front end was on top of one. Called my dad and the troopers. They had to put a bullet in it to stop it from suffering. My father put it in his truck and butchered it (hunter) to eat. Another one the trooper and I had to search in the woods and follow the blood trail until we found it. The third broke its leg but was not able to find it after 1.5 hours of looking. I was lucky all times minimal damage to the car and none to me. A friend hit one in his Mazda and almost died. He's pretty disabled. My brother hit one on his bike. He put it up for sale and never rode again. I am sympathetic to these animals. After all, we are the ones who invade their nature. I still can't help feeling that those large rodents are an infestation...

I drive a salvage title 996 and couldn't care less. Insurance never asked me about salvage Minor front end damage not as extensive as yours. But I fixed up the car and have been running it with permagrin ever since!
I️ caught your post before you edited it. FOURTY THREE deer!! I️ was gonna say...man

Quick Reply: Be Safe out there...