Sponsored by:

inexpensive "spare key"

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 08:19 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,645 Likes on 2,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Bradshaw
Porschetech3-Here is another story about the 1 key workaround. I followed your advice on the superglue attachment of the transponder to the keyhole trim piece from my one and only key. Everything worked well, but now the glue has failed and the transponder fell down into the recesses of the dashboard. Yikes!!! Tomorrow I will take off the dash end cap and see if I can find it-it looks like the inside bottom of the dash may be a kind of hollow space and I hope to be able to fish the little bugger back out and go back to normal.
At least you know where it is, you don't want to loose that little sucker, you will be up the creek without a paddle !!!!
Old 05-24-2021, 08:24 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

ouch...what glue did you use?
Old 05-24-2021, 08:56 PM
Dean Bradshaw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

er, ah..., ahem....... probably from one of our overseas trading partners.
If I do get it back, I will try Gorilla glue next time
Old 05-26-2021, 07:08 PM
Dean Bradshaw
Intermediate

End of story-After tearing the end of the dashboard off and searching in the recesses of the dash using a scope, I found the little teeny transponder on the floor between the mat and the floor carpet. So now its back in the key. I have an appointment with the nearest dealer next week to get a new key. 10 hours of driving and $500.....Then I will have 2 keys-I do not want this much excitement again.
I looked at the transponder, and it is evident that just placing it in a pool of superglue may cause a similar outcome-the glue bonded to the trim, but had a negligble grip on the transponder. So-be sure you use a lot of glue and run it up and over and around the ends of the transponder.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:24 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry for your trouble. The local dealer wants $400 + $175 to program. The Indy charges $400 all-in. I wasn’t brave enough to cut open my only key so I took the $400 deal. I think fit those who are doing the glue, maybe put in in a little plastic or cloth pouch and glue that? Semi permanent that way, easier to find if glue fails
Old 05-30-2021, 01:54 AM
KellyMN
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Having only one key since I bought my 2003 last fall, I went for this “hack” mod.

FWIW - I did successfully get an old spare key from a Boxster I previously owned to work. HOWEVER. - a blank key from Keysinthepost still does nothing, other than unlock the doors and turn on the radio.

So I am happy to have learned how to do this and now have TWO keys to start the car. Just kinda sad that the keysinthepost version won’t work for some reason.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:50 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KellyMN
Having only one key since I bought my 2003 last fall, I went for this “hack” mod.

FWIW - I did successfully get an old spare key from a Boxster I previously owned to work. HOWEVER. - a blank key from Keysinthepost still does nothing, other than unlock the doors and turn on the radio.

So I am happy to have learned how to do this and now have TWO keys to start the car. Just kinda sad that the keysinthepost version won’t work for some reason.
If the key from "key in the post" has a pill in it, remove the unprogrammed pill.Then it will work.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:36 PM
KellyMN
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
If the key from "key in the post" has a pill in it, remove the unprogrammed pill.Then it will work.
Wow - that did it! Thank you! I now have three functional keys. None with remote functions, but oh well....
Old 05-30-2021, 02:54 PM
Dean Bradshaw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
Sorry for your trouble. The local dealer wants $400 + $175 to program. The Indy charges $400 all-in. I wasn’t brave enough to cut open my only key so I took the $400 deal. I think fit those who are doing the glue, maybe put in in a little plastic or cloth pouch and glue that? Semi permanent that way, easier to find if glue fails
Maybe put a mouse stickytrap under the key switch inside the dashboard. Or-as you suggested-enclose the key switch with a pouch-this should not be hard once the dash end trim piece is removed. For reference, the R&R on the trim piece is in the headlight section of the Bentley manual.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:19 AM
pcolapacker
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

When bought the car it came with an original key (remote and pill) and a recently purchased key with no pill. Read this thread a few days ago. Had a dream last night lost my key and had to have the car towed 60 miles to the nearest Porsche dealer. Just did pill transplant and both keys now work. Had considered the extra security of having the pill surgically implanted in my finger.
The following 2 users liked this post by pcolapacker:
Porschetech3 (08-01-2022), TheUnscented (06-02-2021)
Old 08-01-2022, 04:28 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts

There are some clever folks in here...WOW

vetfever
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 08:53 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcolapacker
When bought the car it came with an original key (remote and pill) and a recently purchased key with no pill. Read this thread a few days ago. Had a dream last night lost my key and had to have the car towed 60 miles to the nearest Porsche dealer. Just did pill transplant and both keys now work. Had considered the extra security of having the pill surgically implanted in my finger.
" extra security of having the pill surgically implanted in my finger" made me laugh out loud !!!

I can't believe I missed that post over a year ago, but glad I saw it today. I needed a laugh....
The following users liked this post:
plpete84 (08-03-2022)

Quick Reply: inexpensive "spare key"