Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   inexpensive "spare key" (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1139940-inexpensive-spare-key.html)

Porschetech3 05-24-2021 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Bradshaw (Post 17450506)
Porschetech3-Here is another story about the 1 key workaround. I followed your advice on the superglue attachment of the transponder to the keyhole trim piece from my one and only key. Everything worked well, but now the glue has failed and the transponder fell down into the recesses of the dashboard. Yikes!!! Tomorrow I will take off the dash end cap and see if I can find it-it looks like the inside bottom of the dash may be a kind of hollow space and I hope to be able to fish the little bugger back out and go back to normal.

At least you know where it is, you don't want to loose that little sucker, you will be up the creek without a paddle !!!!

MadIrish 05-24-2021 08:24 PM

ouch...what glue did you use?

Dean Bradshaw 05-24-2021 08:56 PM

er, ah..., ahem....... probably from one of our overseas trading partners.
If I do get it back, I will try Gorilla glue next time

Dean Bradshaw 05-26-2021 07:08 PM

End of story-After tearing the end of the dashboard off and searching in the recesses of the dash using a scope, I found the little teeny transponder on the floor between the mat and the floor carpet. So now its back in the key. I have an appointment with the nearest dealer next week to get a new key. 10 hours of driving and $500.....Then I will have 2 keys-I do not want this much excitement again.
I looked at the transponder, and it is evident that just placing it in a pool of superglue may cause a similar outcome-the glue bonded to the trim, but had a negligble grip on the transponder. So-be sure you use a lot of glue and run it up and over and around the ends of the transponder.

TheUnscented 05-27-2021 09:24 PM

Sorry for your trouble. The local dealer wants $400 + $175 to program. The Indy charges $400 all-in. I wasn’t brave enough to cut open my only key so I took the $400 deal. I think fit those who are doing the glue, maybe put in in a little plastic or cloth pouch and glue that? Semi permanent that way, easier to find if glue fails

KellyMN 05-30-2021 01:54 AM

Having only one key since I bought my 2003 last fall, I went for this “hack” mod.

FWIW - I did successfully get an old spare key from a Boxster I previously owned to work. HOWEVER. - a blank key from Keysinthepost still does nothing, other than unlock the doors and turn on the radio.

So I am happy to have learned how to do this and now have TWO keys to start the car. Just kinda sad that the keysinthepost version won’t work for some reason.

Porschetech3 05-30-2021 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by KellyMN (Post 17461486)
Having only one key since I bought my 2003 last fall, I went for this “hack” mod.

FWIW - I did successfully get an old spare key from a Boxster I previously owned to work. HOWEVER. - a blank key from Keysinthepost still does nothing, other than unlock the doors and turn on the radio.

So I am happy to have learned how to do this and now have TWO keys to start the car. Just kinda sad that the keysinthepost version won’t work for some reason.

If the key from "key in the post" has a pill in it, remove the unprogrammed pill.Then it will work.

KellyMN 05-30-2021 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Porschetech3 (Post 17461513)
If the key from "key in the post" has a pill in it, remove the unprogrammed pill.Then it will work.

Wow - that did it! Thank you! I now have three functional keys. None with remote functions, but oh well....

Dean Bradshaw 05-30-2021 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by TheUnscented (Post 17457482)
Sorry for your trouble. The local dealer wants $400 + $175 to program. The Indy charges $400 all-in. I wasn’t brave enough to cut open my only key so I took the $400 deal. I think fit those who are doing the glue, maybe put in in a little plastic or cloth pouch and glue that? Semi permanent that way, easier to find if glue fails

Maybe put a mouse stickytrap under the key switch inside the dashboard. Or-as you suggested-enclose the key switch with a pouch-this should not be hard once the dash end trim piece is removed. For reference, the R&R on the trim piece is in the headlight section of the Bentley manual.

pcolapacker 06-01-2021 12:19 AM

When bought the car it came with an original key (remote and pill) and a recently purchased key with no pill. Read this thread a few days ago. Had a dream last night lost my key and had to have the car towed 60 miles to the nearest Porsche dealer. Just did pill transplant and both keys now work. Had considered the extra security of having the pill surgically implanted in my finger. :burnout:

vetfever 08-01-2022 04:28 PM

There are some clever folks in here...WOW

vetfever

Porschetech3 08-02-2022 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by pcolapacker (Post 17464695)
When bought the car it came with an original key (remote and pill) and a recently purchased key with no pill. Read this thread a few days ago. Had a dream last night lost my key and had to have the car towed 60 miles to the nearest Porsche dealer. Just did pill transplant and both keys now work. Had considered the extra security of having the pill surgically implanted in my finger. :burnout:

" extra security of having the pill surgically implanted in my finger" made me laugh out loud !!!

I can't believe I missed that post over a year ago, but glad I saw it today. I needed a laugh....:rockon: