Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   inexpensive "spare key" (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1139940-inexpensive-spare-key.html)

Porschetech3 04-23-2019 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by mattie_k (Post 15794679)
But in theory, doesn't this mean the car could be "hot wired" and therefore stolen?

If you can get into the car (break glass or cut top) and the steering unlocked (which takes your high security cut key)..or a BFH and some chisels .....

mattie_k 04-24-2019 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
If you can get into the car (break glass or cut top) and the steering unlocked (which takes your high security cut key)..or a BFH and some chisels .....

Soooooo what you're saying is there is a chance? Lol

Pretty sure most car thieves don't care if the ruin the column because the cars just get chopped anyway.

Porschetech3 04-24-2019 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by mattie_k (Post 15795014)
Soooooo what you're saying is there is a chance? Lol

Pretty sure most car thieves don't care if the ruin the column because the cars just get chopped anyway.

. If your going to go through that much trouble to steal , just bring your own pill, immobilizer, and DME and plug them in, no need to " hot wire"..

Always wanted 1 04-24-2019 08:20 AM

Dumb question maybe..has anyone ever tried to figure out what Porsche is doing with the pill? I’d imagine that these pills are some sort of transponder, if you could read/copy the info from the key it might be possible to store the information allowing folks to store the info and recreate keys already programmed to the car at will, or emulators.

Porschetech3 04-24-2019 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1 (Post 15795114)
Dumb question maybe..has anyone ever tried to figure out what Porsche is doing with the pill? I’d imagine that these pills are some sort of transponder, if you could read/copy the info from the key it might be possible to store the information allowing folks to store the info and recreate keys already programmed to the car at will, or emulators.

. Yea, the pill is a transponder, a Megamos Encrypto, it does some fancy encrypto stuff that tends to go haywire when copied..

TexSquirrel 04-24-2019 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Porschetech3 (Post 15795122)
. Megamos Encrypto

Thanks.
I found some interesting reading about the Megamos Encrypto! :typing:

wyovino 04-24-2019 11:58 AM

A very clever solution! Just out of curiosity, how close to the ignition switch does the pill need to be for it to work? A very clever solution!

NuttyProfessor 04-24-2019 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Porschetech3 (Post 15794552)
No, no one can enter your car with their remote.

Yes, the remote is also programmed to your car only.

Yes, your car had been programmed to accept your pill (pills), no others.

Great hack, Porschetech3! This is like James Bond super cool!

I've noticed those little RFID transponder pills before. This is like mark of the beast kind of thing, huh? hahahaha

DGI 04-24-2019 01:51 PM

While I'd love for my lock/unlock button to work... I've gotten use to going old school and simply unlocking the door with the metal key.

Would there be a "high security" Porsche key without a button head I could get cut to serve as my entry tool for the car since I'll put the pill behind the ignition trim as posted above?

808Bill 04-24-2019 02:13 PM

Any idea as to why my frunk buttons don't work on both my keys?

NuttyProfessor 04-24-2019 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 808Bill (Post 15795828)
Any idea as to why my frunk buttons don't work on both my keys?

Ah man, I've had this problem. Me and my little dog went out to get something out of the frunk. I pulled my remote out, hit the button, nothing. Dog barked. :eek: I looked at him and say, I know it's frustrating isn't it little one? What's wrong with this thing, I thought. :confused: Pushed the button again. Nothing. Dog barked and whined. :crying:Then amidst much frustration, I held the button down. Dog started jumpin' and barking". :surr: I looked down confused and looked the remote closely and it was my wireless remote for the wireless shock dog collar. :icon501:

Got the Porsche remote out of my other pocket and it opened just fine.

Porschetech3 04-24-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by wyovino (Post 15795511)
A very clever solution! Just out of curiosity, how close to the ignition switch does the pill need to be for it to work? A very clever solution!

Very close !! like about .500inch..

Scott at Team Harco 04-24-2019 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor (Post 15795882)
Ah man, I've had this problem. Me and my little dog went out to get something out of the frunk. I pulled my remote out, hit the button, nothing. Dog barked. :eek: I looked at him and say, I know it's frustrating isn't it little one? What's wrong with this thing, I thought. :confused: Pushed the button again. Nothing. Dog barked and whined. :crying:Then amidst much frustration, I held the button down. Dog started jumpin' and barking". :surr: I looked down confused and looked the remote closely and it was my wireless remote for the wireless shock dog collar. :icon501:

OK - that's the funniest thing I've read all day. Poor puppy....

Porschetech3 04-24-2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by DGI (Post 15795784)
While I'd love for my lock/unlock button to work... I've gotten use to going old school and simply unlocking the door with the metal key.

Would there be a "high security" Porsche key without a button head I could get cut to serve as my entry tool for the car since I'll put the pill behind the ignition trim as posted above?

Yes, you can use this key, or the one like I posted the switchblade key. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-High-Se...ss!35068!US!-1 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Fl...MAAOSwPM9cs~8x

bpoteat 04-24-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor (Post 15795882)

Man, I have done this exact same thing. Kept hitting the button and thinking, "what the hell are those dogs barking at"? (It was my sister's dogs and I thought I had her car keys)

I felt terrible for those poor dogs when I realized what I was doing. My family still laughs about that.