Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   inexpensive "spare key" (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1139940-inexpensive-spare-key.html)

808Bill 04-24-2019 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor (Post 15795882)
Ah man, I've had this problem. Me and my little dog went out to get something out of the frunk. I pulled my remote out, hit the button, nothing. Dog barked. :eek: I looked at him and say, I know it's frustrating isn't it little one? What's wrong with this thing, I thought. :confused: Pushed the button again. Nothing. Dog barked and whined. :crying:Then amidst much frustration, I held the button down. Dog started jumpin' and barking". :surr: I looked down confused and looked the remote closely and it was my wireless remote for the wireless shock dog collar. :icon501:

Got the Porsche remote out of my other pocket and it opened just fine.

Lol, that's funny!

Porschetech3 04-24-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 808Bill (Post 15795828)
Any idea as to why my frunk buttons don't work on both my keys?

Does the frunk open with the door sill switch? If it does, then remove the remote cover and press the frunk button directly, the rubber covers get torn up and won't actually press the button.

Does the LED flash when pressing the button?

NuttyProfessor 04-24-2019 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 808Bill (Post 15796208)
Lol, that's funny!

hahaha... the dog lived.

dan_189 04-24-2019 11:36 PM

Great hack!

Another idea is to get the dealership to program you a valet key - it has a pill built into the head. Much cheaper than the standard key.

My OPC dealership luckily programs stuff for free because I get my car serviced there :D

Although they refuse to give me my IPAS code so I can do it myself... Grrrr probably for the greater good they don't hand out those codes haha.

Porschetech3 04-25-2019 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by dan_189 (Post 15797159)
Great hack!

Another idea is to get the dealership to program you a valet key - it has a pill built into the head. Much cheaper than the standard key.

My OPC dealership luckily programs stuff for free because I get my car serviced there :D

Although they refuse to give me my IPAS code so I can do it myself... Grrrr probably for the greater good they don't hand out those codes haha.

Yes, it really sucks that they won't give you your own IPAS codes. The dealerships are really tight with those unless you know them well. Some of the larger Indy's that buy a lot of parts from the dealership can probably get your IPAS code for you, since you have PIWIS, you could program your own keys/pills/remotes.

Noz1974 04-25-2019 12:57 PM

My key now does a slow flash and won't open doors with button so manual open for me , tried everything unless ??

Porschetech3 04-25-2019 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Noz1974 (Post 15798151)
My key now does a slow flash and won't open doors with button so manual open for me , tried everything unless ??

Have you tried the "re-sync"? IIRC Lock-unlock the doors manually, then insert the key in ignition and turn to "on", then press the unlock button..within 5 seconds...

DGI 04-25-2019 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Porschetech3 (Post 15795925)
Yes, you can use this key, or the one like I posted the switchblade key. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-High-Se...ss!35068!US!-1 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Fl...MAAOSwPM9cs~8x

was hoping for something old school with a metal head maybe

dan_189 04-25-2019 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Porschetech3 (Post 15797224)
Yes, it really sucks that they won't give you your own IPAS codes. The dealerships are really tight with those unless you know them well. Some of the larger Indy's that buy a lot of parts from the dealership can probably get your IPAS code for you, since you have PIWIS, you could program your own keys/pills/remotes.

Probably for the greater good they don't hand them out although it would be good to have!

Porschetech3 04-27-2019 01:43 PM

Just a FYI for those who doubt the money saving idea of this thread, IF you loose your one and only key (pill), and your car is locked with the alarm set, the alarm/immobilizer will be locked and cannot be unlocked to program another key (pill).

This means you will have to buy another alarm/immobilizer, then program another key(pill) to it. I have seen the bill for two keys with remotes and a new alarm/immobilizer with programming and tow charge run as much as $2k usd !!

pdizzle1 04-27-2019 07:17 PM

How many pills (i.e. spare keys) can the car be paired to at the same time?

Porschetech3 04-27-2019 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by pdizzle1 (Post 15803002)
How many pills (i.e. spare keys) can the car be paired to at the same time?

IIRC if you are using the high security key with built-in pill, the immobilizer has slots to accept 4 keys/pills to be programmed in to it. If using the "hack" 1 pill serves all high security cut keys (as many as you want).

odIII 05-11-2019 04:07 PM

Don't forget

If your spare key does have a "pill" which has not been programmed for your car, it will not work. I had to remove the blank pill and then the key would start the car.

Thanks for the tip Porschetech3.

David

Todd Hennen 12-11-2019 10:38 PM

Hi great idea. What year is the VW blank key? ah see it. Thanks

dan_189 12-11-2019 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Hennen (Post 16284722)
Hi great idea. What year is the VW blank key?

Any HU66 blade will work