Sponsored by:

Key spins

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 02:37 PM
leifbert
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key spins

I got in my 2000 996 and found the ignition key would spin freely and not start the car. The radio and idiot lights turned on when I initially rotated the key and then the key went limp and spun freely. After some research on this forum I figured the electrical portion of the ignition switch had failed. I picked up a switch and went to replace it. After removing the lower duct I could see the switch but it looked firmly attached to the mechanical portion which was not what I had expected. I then stuck the key in with one hand while holding the electrical portion from under the dash. I thought I might detect the failure mode. Instead, the key now worked normally and everything function tests ok. Do any of you guys have any idea what happened? I am worried about it stranding me some day.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:13 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

There are two small set screws that hold in the electrical part of the switch. I would go through the process of replacing the electrical switch and making sure the set screws are tight.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:12 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Replace the part you bought. Make sure you tighten the set screws. Several how-to on here, and also on Pelican site.

Quick Reply: Key spins