996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What would replace your 996?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Quaz
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 42 Posts

My short list includes a GT4, Mustang GT350 or an early Z06 Vette. I daily drive a 17 Golf R which with a few simple mods is faster than a 996 Turbo, and that is at the limit of speed for driving on the street. IMHO At this point I want cars that sound and feel great. The 996 does fit that bill, but I am sure I am going to want something different in a few years. At that point I am going to ditch the Golf R and 996 and probably get a GT4, then some SUV to drive daily. I may be getting old, but I don’t really need to daily drive an 11 second 1/4 mile car anymore. I think I may have gotten that out of my system. That being said I am pretty sure my next daily driver is going to be a Macan. Seems like a good mix of utility, sport and comfort.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:16 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

The BRZ is a fun car. I test drove one new and was very impressed with it, save for the total lack of torque. I would never guess it was capable of 0-60 in 6.2 seconds -- felt like 9 seconds to me. Even when I revved it out it didn't really feel very strong. I don't know why the Japanese 4-cylinder sports cars are tuned to be so devoid of torque (Honda S2000, Miata, BRZ). Adding forced induction would cure the BRZ for sure. The handling is amazing on the BRZ. Still not nearly as refined an experience as the 996 (not surprising given the price difference), but the BRZ would be a very nice car with the power problem fixed.

I thought the BRZ was pretty practical also. I was also able to fit a large jazz guitar case into the trunk (yes, I brought the guitar to the test drive to test the fit), so it was more practical space-wise than I expected. I don't remember the back seats being that tiny, but maybe I didn't hop in the back -- I was more concerned about storage space.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Unless your kids are well under 2 years old, they're not going to be comfortable in the back seat of a twin!
Really? I have a 7-yr-old and a 5-yr-old, and they both fit in the 911. Are the seats in the FRS/BRZ even smaller than a 911?
Old 04-07-2019, 02:28 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,822 Likes on 1,643 Posts

I owned a BRZ briefly, I bought it for my son. He wrecked it. Very sad. That car was amazing to drive. Like a go cart. The backseat was more practical than the Porsche. I was able to fit in the back and I'm 5'10" average size. I wouldn't want to do it for a long time but I can do it. The porsche? no way. Front seats have to be pushed pretty far forward regardless.

The Shelby Mustang GT350 will outdrive virtually any car out there until you start getting way up in price. I love mine. (Back seat headroom is non existent.)
Old 04-07-2019, 06:02 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

I had a chance to drive a rally prepared BRZ at the Press On Regardless Rally in 2015. It is a decent car for the money. The 944 is as good, or better, in almost all ways. Granted, all 944s are at least 30 years old now. But there were also many comparisons to this Japanese upstart. They both check-off so many of the same attributes: inexpensive, rwd, 2+ coupe, balance (in many ways - power vs economy, handling, etc.).

Anyway, my experience with the rally car and another friend's street car, has me happy with my affliction for 944s. YMMV.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:21 PM
redlineblue
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Only thing that *might* steal my 996's slot is an Aston Martin Vantage. With my nephew's connections in the Aston dealer network, I could run an Aston for Porsche money. But my 6 y.o. daughter would be really ticked, and the Porsche gods might be the same when (not if) I tried to come back.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:02 PM
misterted
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently drove a 1994 911 Turbo 3.6.(964).
Car was in excellent condition.
I'm in love. Smooth, mechanical, ungodly fast.
That's the car.
Will drive an 88 930 Turbo soon and will see how it compares.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:56 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried last year with a brand new MX-5 Miata Sport with the Brembo package. The experiment failed and I sold the Miata.
I'm keeping the 996.

Mike
Old 04-09-2019, 12:17 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

I loved both my 996s, especially the Mk1 aerokit. It looked great.
But my 99 Boxster is more fun than the 996 was in every way except the power/acceleration. So much less money invested and yet, more smiles than the 996
Especially with the top down, listening to the headers and aftermarket exhaust while up/downshifting - it sounds amazing.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 AM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good suggestions - thanks!!!! I'm leaning more towards a german sedan so the S4 might be a good fit. A good friend recently traded in a TT RS for a the A5 Sportback RS. He' loves it. I'll have to take a look at S4 and the 5. I do like the looks of the BMW's more. I owned a 2008 528i. It was such a nice car to drive but it was plagued with the battery dying problem. I had to sell it. The battery would die 15 minutes after driving 100 miles or overnight or not after three or four days. I had a jump start box, 100' extension cord and battery charger with me in trunk everywhere I went. BMW was absolutely worthless about fixing it and it was still under warranty. They blamed us owners. Maddening - so I swore off them but an M3 or M4 would fit perfectly ...

BTW - shameless plug - my C4S should be on BAT next week but maybe sooner

Originally Posted by cds72911
Hmm, one car, smallish garage, has to cover all bases (including golf clubs) and all seasons and still be engaging to drive - I’d check out the Audi S4. I’ve owned three and they kept getting better every generation.

Edit - I assume winter driving in snow/ice, but if I didn’t get that weather, the BMW M3 would also be on my short list if I had to get down to only one vehicle.
Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
VW GTi, or Subaru STI would be my choice if I were in your situation.
BMWs are very fun cars, but not the newer models(2007+) are not the most reliable.
Originally Posted by DGI
I fit like a glove in the Toyo-baru twins. Forced induction with some suspension tweaks and that car would be a riot!!!

I wish Subaru kept a hatchback/wagon STI in production. I like quick, compact, and useful cars and a tuned up STI would make a great daily driver/ all weather ride. An eventual engine rebuild would fix any OEM shortcomings (sound familiar?) but provide years of fun!

Out of the box, the Civic Type R sounds like the car for you. or a JCW Countryman? Golf R?

One car would be tough
Old 04-09-2019, 09:58 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't want to replace it... I just want to give it some more friends. I'm hoping to buy within the next year or so one of these three. McLaren, lambo(older) or gtr.

I had a lot of fun cars before I bought my boxster, After boxster, I had the bug and now my 911 is definitely the most thrilling car I have owned. drove it today to work after getting it out of storage for the winter... smile the whole way, such a fun car to drive.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:36 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
But my 99 Boxster is more fun than the 996 was in every way except the power/acceleration. So much less money invested and yet, more smiles than the 996
Especially with the top down, listening to the headers and aftermarket exhaust while up/downshifting - it sounds amazing.
Yeah, but those Boxster headlights are so hideous!!
Old 04-09-2019, 11:49 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
I've always wanted a 986 S... Figured it would be fun to eventually swap in a 3.4 from a Carrera.

Its been years since i've driven one though and not sure my 6'6" frame would fit in there if the 996 gives me issues
Old 04-09-2019, 02:27 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,822 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Yeah, but those Boxster headlights are so hideous!!
THAT'S funny!
Old 04-09-2019, 04:09 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can;t think of anything that would replace my '99 911 completely. I've also owned the Esprit 4cyl and V8 SE, but don't really compare. Had the Viper and several C5 Corvettes, nope. Have had an SC and 993. I think a TT 996 would be about the top of the mountain for me, short of something pretty exotic. I have faster cars, more valuable cars, but I think the 911 just kind of defies comparison as a package..

Quick Reply: What would replace your 996?