Intermittent check engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 02:27 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by tom__w
This chart is what I found as far as the tires go. It does not specify the wheel width:

As I mentioned, I would like to go with the 245 / 40 / 19. It looks like it should fit fine .. if you could give me your 0.02.

Using the tool here: https://tiresize.com/calculator/ and what I saw on tirerack, the 245 works on a 8-9.5 wheel width.

I'll leave the rears as they are.
OK - you didn't confirm your rear tire size yet. The chart you show here lists it as a 285/35R19. I will assume 295 was a mistake.
Based on the data you have from your calculator, it matches with what I come up with as well.

You are correct, the tire size calculator does not specify wheel width. This has to be sorted out first. Since we now know the fronts are 8", we would next focus on finding a suitably sized tire to come as close as possible to matching the diameter (circumference, etc.) as the tire you are staying with. You were able to find - at Tire Rack - that 245/40R19 is approved for rim widths between 8-9.5". You are at the low end, but still approved. This is why I was questioning you on verifying rim width. You can see that a 9" wheel would be closer to the center of the approved range.

I used my calculator to enter a few possible sizes in an attempt to match the diameter of your rear tire and still stay within the approval window for an 8" wide wheel. Not knowing for sure whether you have a 285 or a 295 rear, I created two scenarios. As you can see, the yellow highlights show a reasonably good match (same as you found). Again - this assumes you have a 285/35R19 on the rear. If it is a 295, the orange highlight is the best match I could come up with.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:52 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
OK - you didn't confirm your rear tire size yet. The chart you show here lists it as a 285/35R19. I will assume 295 was a mistake.
Based on the data you have from your calculator, it matches with what I come up with as well.

You are correct, the tire size calculator does not specify wheel width. This has to be sorted out first. Since we now know the fronts are 8", we would next focus on finding a suitably sized tire to come as close as possible to matching the diameter (circumference, etc.) as the tire you are staying with. You were able to find - at Tire Rack - that 245/40R19 is approved for rim widths between 8-9.5". You are at the low end, but still approved. This is why I was questioning you on verifying rim width. You can see that a 9" wheel would be closer to the center of the approved range.

I used my calculator to enter a few possible sizes in an attempt to match the diameter of your rear tire and still stay within the approval window for an 8" wide wheel. Not knowing for sure whether you have a 285 or a 295 rear, I created two scenarios. As you can see, the yellow highlights show a reasonably good match (same as you found). Again - this assumes you have a 285/35R19 on the rear. If it is a 295, the orange highlight is the best match I could come up with.

Thanks so much for doing the work. I definitely have 285 / 35 / 19 in the back and 235 / 35 / 19 in the front:

I am going with the 245 / 40 / 19 wheels...
Old 03-27-2019, 03:02 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Thanks so much for doing the work. I definitely have 285 / 35 / 19 in the back and 235 / 35 / 19 in the front:

I am going with the 245 / 40 / 19 wheels...
Tires.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:04 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Tires.
lol
Old 03-27-2019, 03:10 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

All kidding aside, you all are a fantastic resource.

I would have never worried about the mismatched tires had it not had been for you guys. That would have cost me $1,300 just for the part alone (unless it's already gone and I don't know it yet).

I'll try to keep up my side and post whatever useful information I get and come across.

Tom

PS - And I'll try to keep wheel and tire straight
Old 03-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

I would have never worried about the mismatched tires had it not had been for you guys. That would have cost me $1,300 just for the part alone (unless it's already gone and I don't know it yet).

I'll try to keep up my side and post whatever useful information I get and come across.

Tom

Even in a turn?
Old 03-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Tom

Hopefully you haven't hurt the viscous clutch yet, good thing the PSM light tipped you off as to something amiss.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:21 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Hopefully you haven't hurt the viscous clutch yet, good thing the PSM light tipped you off as to something amiss.
True Dat... Of course the previous owner may have just ignored the PSM light, like he ignored the outrageous lip on the edge of the rotors (replacing just the pads every time).

How would I know if the viscous coupling was bad? Would it begin to throw more PSM alerts?
Old 03-27-2019, 04:45 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,961 Posts

True Dat... Of course the previous owner may have just ignored the PSM light, like he ignored the outrageous lip on the edge of the rotors (replacing just the pads every time).

How would I know if the viscous coupling was bad? Would it begin to throw more PSM alerts?
It would not throw any PSM faults. Of course an unusual noise would be an indication.

The test procedure is not all that hard, involves having 3 wheels kept from moving (brakes applied) and turning 1 front wheel hub (with wheel and brake caliper removed and brake pads blocked so they can't overextend)) and measuring the torque at slow rotation vs fast rotation by hand (torque wrench).. The procedure should be in the shop manual, or if you can't find it, I'll check back and see if I can post it for you.. (I'd have to find it also for the detailed torque specs (Alzheimer s))
Old 03-27-2019, 07:35 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
It would not throw any PSM faults. Of course an unusual noise would be an indication.

The test procedure is not all that hard, involves having 3 wheels kept from moving (brakes applied) and turning 1 front wheel hub (with wheel and brake caliper removed and brake pads blocked so they can't overextend)) and measuring the torque at slow rotation vs fast rotation by hand (torque wrench).. The procedure should be in the shop manual, or if you can't find it, I'll check back and see if I can post it for you.. (I'd have to find it also for the detailed torque specs (Alzheimer s))
I definitely do not have the procedure.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:25 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

So I went with the 245 / 40 / 19 on a wheel with a 46 offset. And guess what ... they rub. SH*T!

So my other choice is to downsize the rears from 285 / 35 / 19 to a 285 / 30 / 19 (I need to confirm the wheel width is 9.5 to 10.5). This would give just over 1% difference in Revs per mile.

Is this within tolerance?
Old 03-29-2019, 02:18 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

So I went with the 245 / 40 / 19 on a wheel with a 46 offset. And guess what ... they rub. SH*T!

So my other choice is to downsize the rears from 285 / 35 / 19 to a 285 / 30 / 19 (I need to confirm the wheel width is 9.5 to 10.5). This would give just over 1% difference in Revs per mile.

Is this within tolerance?
Where do they rub? If it's a diameter issue, you may want to raise ride-height. Does the car have stock suspension? Analyze the situation before taking a rash action or throwing more money at the problem.

Actually, looking back, 46 mm is a lower offset number than I typically see on these cars. I am more used to seeing numbers in the 50s. A lower number will put the rim outward more and now that you have a wider tire, it is probably rubbing the fender lip. I'll investigate the proper offset numbers, but it doesn't help the immediate problem. Any idea where those wheels came from?

You should take a rear wheel off and check its dimensions - including offset. You don't want to keep going in the wrong direction with each change you make.

These documents list stock wheel sizes and approved tires - go to the last page of the summer tire document:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor.../tyreapproval/

Your application:

The fronts should be either 50 or 52 mm offset. The extra 20 mm section width should not be a problem with the correct offset - UNLESS - the car has been lowered.
The rears should have an offset of 65 if they are 10" wide.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 03-29-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:39 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Where do they rub? If it's a diameter issue, you may want to raise ride-height. Does the car have stock suspension? Analyze the situation before taking a rash action or throwing more money at the problem.

Actually, looking back, 46 mm is a lower offset number than I typically see on these cars. I am more used to seeing numbers in the 50s. A lower number will put the rim outward more and now that you have a wider tire, it is probably rubbing the fender lip. I'll investigate the proper offset numbers, but it doesn't help the immediate problem. Any idea where those wheels came from?

You should take a rear wheel off and check its dimensions - including offset. You don't want to keep going in the wrong direction with each change you make.

These documents list stock wheel sizes and approved tires - go to the last page of the summer tire document:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor.../tyreapproval/

Your application:

The fronts should be either 50 or 52 mm offset. The extra 20 mm section width should not be a problem with the correct offset - UNLESS - the car has been lowered.
The rears should have an offset of 65 if they are 10" wide.
Unfortunately the previous owner put 19" wheels on. That along with the 48 offset is screwing everything up.

Below is where the rub is.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:46 PM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

(edited later - points already made)

Last edited by bplein; 03-29-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:08 PM
tom__w
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately the previous owner put 19" wheels on. That along with the 48 offset is screwing everything up.

Below is where the rub is.

Is it possible to fix this rubbing issue?

Quick Reply: Intermittent check engine