Sponsored by:

Heated seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 11:00 AM
roccocaiazza
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Heated seat

The heated seat light blinks in both the high (red light) and Medium (yellow) setting, however the lights do not stay on and the seat does not heat.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:58 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

What year and model?
Try the following to diagnose the problem:=leftSince your passenger's side seat heater is working fine, the first (also costs no $$) place to start is by swapping the passenger's side switch into where the driver's side switch is now connected and see if that resolves the problem.=leftThe switches can just be pried up carefully and then connected after the swap.=leftIf that doesn't resolve the problem, then you can do the same thing with your seat heater relays, which are under the seat bottoms.=leftThe relays are located near the outboard sides of the seat bottoms, about halfway between the front and the rear of the seat bottoms. The relays are black, about 2 inches tall by 1 inch by 1 inch and have the part # 996 618 521 00 stamped in white lettering on them.=leftUntil you determine your relay is bad, there is no need to remove the driver's side relay from its mounting point, where it is attached to the seat frame by a black plastic rivet.=leftStart with the passenger's seat. The seats can be unbolted from the car's floor by unscrewing the four bolts that hold it in place. Two bolts in front (one on each rail) and two bolts at the back. They are torx bolts, but you can use a fine 10mm (1/4" drive) socket to remove the bolts. There is no need to take the seats out completely. (Although it is possible to take the seats out and put them down right next to the door sills while they are still connected, it's unwieldy, you need a lot of room to have the two doors wide open and you run the risk of scratching your door sills, etc.)=leftJust undo the four bolts and lean each seat back. Stick a small block of wood under the inboard side (closest to the center console) of the seat bottom at the front and you will be able to easily access the black plastic rivet that holds the metal bracket that is pressed into the side of the relay onto the seat frame. Now push the plastic pin in the middle of the plastic rivet towards the seat cushion and it (the pin) will fall into the foam rubber. You can then retrieve it and re-use it.=leftHere is a photo with the seat heater relay highlighted in blue:=left=center
Posted October 1, 2008 (edited)

vwrado said:
Lately I have problems with my driver side seat heat. When I press the button to turn it on, the light flashes red then off right away and it does not turn on. Passenger side works fine. What should I check?
Try the following to diagnose the problem:Since your passenger's side seat heater is working fine, the first (also costs no $$) place to start is by swapping the passenger's side switch into where the driver's side switch is now connected and see if that resolves the problem.The switches can just be pried up carefully and then connected after the swap.If that doesn't resolve the problem, then you can do the same thing with your seat heater relays, which are under the seat bottoms.The relays are located near the outboard sides of the seat bottoms, about halfway between the front and the rear of the seat bottoms. The relays are black, about 2 inches tall by 1 inch by 1 inch and have the part # 996 618 521 00 stamped in white lettering on them.Until you determine your relay is bad, there is no need to remove the driver's side relay from its mounting point, where it is attached to the seat frame by a black plastic rivet.Start with the passenger's seat. The seats can be unbolted from the car's floor by unscrewing the four bolts that hold it in place. Two bolts in front (one on each rail) and two bolts at the back. They are torx bolts, but you can use a fine 10mm (1/4" drive) socket to remove the bolts. There is no need to take the seats out completely. (Although it is possible to take the seats out and put them down right next to the door sills while they are still connected, it's unwieldy, you need a lot of room to have the two doors wide open and you run the risk of scratching your door sills, etc.)Just undo the four bolts and lean each seat back. Stick a small block of wood under the inboard side (closest to the center console) of the seat bottom at the front and you will be able to easily access the black plastic rivet that holds the metal bracket that is pressed into the side of the relay onto the seat frame. Now push the plastic pin in the middle of the plastic rivet towards the seat cushion and it (the pin) will fall into the foam rubber. You can then retrieve it and re-use it.Here is a photo with the seat heater relay highlighted in blue:Here is a closeup of the relay:The advantage of not taking the seats completely out is that you don't have to disconnect the main connector under the seats and thus eliminate the possibility of setting off your airbag light. If you want to take the seats out, make sure that the ignition is off and the key is out of the ignition and don't turn it back on until you have completely re-assembled everything.Once you remove the relay from under the passenger's seat, go to the driver's side and merely unplug the connector that is plugged into that relay and just swap the relays (i.e., at this point there will be no relay under the passenger's seat and two relays under the driver's seat, with the original passenger's seat relay connected there and dangling, and the original driver's seat relay disconnected but still mounted on the seat rail.One last point, the relays themselves are identical between the passenger's side and the driver's side. The small metal bracket that is pressed into the side of the relay housing is the only slight difference. That bracket is mounted as a mirror image to itself (on the two housings) between the passenger's and the driver's side.The switches fail less often than the relays, so my money is on a faulty relay.Let us know what you find.
Courtesy of RennTech

Old 03-20-2019, 12:28 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

^^now this is what i call a great post. Wish they where all this informative.....
Old 03-20-2019, 12:48 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
What year and model?
Try the following to diagnose the problem:=leftSince your passenger's side seat heater is working fine, the first (also costs no $$) place to start is by swapping the passenger's side switch into where the driver's side switch is now connected and see if that resolves the problem.=leftThe switches can just be pried up carefully and then connected after the swap.=leftIf that doesn't resolve the problem, then you can do the same thing with your seat heater relays, which are under the seat bottoms.=leftThe relays are located near the outboard sides of the seat bottoms, about halfway between the front and the rear of the seat bottoms. The relays are black, about 2 inches tall by 1 inch by 1 inch and have the part # 996 618 521 00 stamped in white lettering on them.=leftUntil you determine your relay is bad, there is no need to remove the driver's side relay from its mounting point, where it is attached to the seat frame by a black plastic rivet.=leftStart with the passenger's seat. The seats can be unbolted from the car's floor by unscrewing the four bolts that hold it in place. Two bolts in front (one on each rail) and two bolts at the back. They are torx bolts, but you can use a fine 10mm (1/4" drive) socket to remove the bolts. There is no need to take the seats out completely. (Although it is possible to take the seats out and put them down right next to the door sills while they are still connected, it's unwieldy, you need a lot of room to have the two doors wide open and you run the risk of scratching your door sills, etc.)=leftJust undo the four bolts and lean each seat back. Stick a small block of wood under the inboard side (closest to the center console) of the seat bottom at the front and you will be able to easily access the black plastic rivet that holds the metal bracket that is pressed into the side of the relay onto the seat frame. Now push the plastic pin in the middle of the plastic rivet towards the seat cushion and it (the pin) will fall into the foam rubber. You can then retrieve it and re-use it.=leftHere is a photo with the seat heater relay highlighted in blue:=left=center
Posted October 1, 2008 (edited)

Try the following to diagnose the problem:Since your passenger's side seat heater is working fine, the first (also costs no $$) place to start is by swapping the passenger's side switch into where the driver's side switch is now connected and see if that resolves the problem.The switches can just be pried up carefully and then connected after the swap.If that doesn't resolve the problem, then you can do the same thing with your seat heater relays, which are under the seat bottoms.The relays are located near the outboard sides of the seat bottoms, about halfway between the front and the rear of the seat bottoms. The relays are black, about 2 inches tall by 1 inch by 1 inch and have the part # 996 618 521 00 stamped in white lettering on them.Until you determine your relay is bad, there is no need to remove the driver's side relay from its mounting point, where it is attached to the seat frame by a black plastic rivet.Start with the passenger's seat. The seats can be unbolted from the car's floor by unscrewing the four bolts that hold it in place. Two bolts in front (one on each rail) and two bolts at the back. They are torx bolts, but you can use a fine 10mm (1/4" drive) socket to remove the bolts. There is no need to take the seats out completely. (Although it is possible to take the seats out and put them down right next to the door sills while they are still connected, it's unwieldy, you need a lot of room to have the two doors wide open and you run the risk of scratching your door sills, etc.)Just undo the four bolts and lean each seat back. Stick a small block of wood under the inboard side (closest to the center console) of the seat bottom at the front and you will be able to easily access the black plastic rivet that holds the metal bracket that is pressed into the side of the relay onto the seat frame. Now push the plastic pin in the middle of the plastic rivet towards the seat cushion and it (the pin) will fall into the foam rubber. You can then retrieve it and re-use it.Here is a photo with the seat heater relay highlighted in blue:Here is a closeup of the relay:The advantage of not taking the seats completely out is that you don't have to disconnect the main connector under the seats and thus eliminate the possibility of setting off your airbag light. If you want to take the seats out, make sure that the ignition is off and the key is out of the ignition and don't turn it back on until you have completely re-assembled everything.Once you remove the relay from under the passenger's seat, go to the driver's side and merely unplug the connector that is plugged into that relay and just swap the relays (i.e., at this point there will be no relay under the passenger's seat and two relays under the driver's seat, with the original passenger's seat relay connected there and dangling, and the original driver's seat relay disconnected but still mounted on the seat rail.One last point, the relays themselves are identical between the passenger's side and the driver's side. The small metal bracket that is pressed into the side of the relay housing is the only slight difference. That bracket is mounted as a mirror image to itself (on the two housings) between the passenger's and the driver's side.The switches fail less often than the relays, so my money is on a faulty relay.Let us know what you find.
Courtesy of RennTech

And if both seats are not working? Is there a way to test the relay prior to ordering new ones? I presume my issue is either the relay or the heating element, but I'd prefer to confirm before ordering parts.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2019, 02:25 PM
my15window
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine ended up being the seat cushion with a broken wire,
I read hrs. of posts and it seams that's what it finally was for most
of the people, when I had them re upholstered they told me never kneel
on your seat when you try to get something out of the back
or passenger side.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 PM
plau
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 03 heated seats go on automatically,have to pull the fuse to stop them,any suggestion?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:02 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

OP - its probably the heating element. You can buy a new cushion with the element in it for about $150 from a dealer. Using a volt meter you can check for continuity on the plug for the element. Mine was visually broken/burnt when I removed the leather seat cover (lower cushion is probably the culprit).

Originally Posted by plau
my 03 heated seats go on automatically,have to pull the fuse to stop them,any suggestion?
My guess is a stuck relay. Is it both sides?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 PM
plau
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes thankyou will checkthem

Quick Reply: Heated seat