Possible Life Changing Move

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:59 AM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Possible Life Changing Move

All,
I have an opportunity to change jobs and move to the Chapel Hill, NC area. This would me a move of the entire family. Are there any members in the area and what can you tell me, pros and cons?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Red998
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great area. I live over in Cary. Best move we made.
Educated people in triangle area as there engineering, tech, medicine employers. There is great mix of cultures as well and it continues to grow. I have been to Durham and Raleigh periodically. Chapel Hill - I have heard great things. Maybe a local can answer more. Plus VIR is 70min away.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:08 AM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RDL
All,
I have an opportunity to change jobs and move to the Chapel Hill, NC area. This would me a move of the entire family. Are there any members in the area and what can you tell me, pros and cons?
Thanks in advance.
Where are you moving from?

Moving out of the SF Bay Area to the Austin, Texas region was the best financial move I've made, as well as overall quality of life. If you are moving out of a "rat race" lifestyle, the Raleigh-Durham area seems to be a pretty great place to achieve a better work-life balance.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Neto
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Where are you moving from? NC is nice, warmer... I would choose it over anything up north
Old 03-18-2019, 12:30 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by RDL
All,
Thanks in advance.
In the nutshell, the south is one of the best places on the planet to own a Porsche with its warmer climate. Many more months out of the year to enjoy these cars. NC a blessing or curse? Definitely a blessing. Can you say "Tail of the Dragon"?... Great Smoky Mountains? You're right next door to some of the best driving roads in America. And, plenty of owners around the south to hook up with on drives if you like... heck, Porsche NA headquarters are just down the road in Atlanta. People in the south are easy to get along with... for southerners it's "live and let live". Great hospitality. Sweat Tea BBQ... Oh Yea!!! I'm hungry now... Thanks alot!

However, if you're ever canoeing and hear banjo music.. paddle faster!
lol
Old 03-18-2019, 01:12 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Moving from Ohio. We've lived here all our lives, so this is a bit of a big deal.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 01:18 PM
sb3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bplein
Where are you moving from?

Moving out of the SF Bay Area to the Austin, Texas region was the best financial move I've made, as well as overall quality of life. If you are moving out of a "rat race" lifestyle, the Raleigh-Durham area seems to be a pretty great place to achieve a better work-life balance.
We're thinking about doing the same thing. Been the the SF Bay Area for 20 years in the tech industry. bplein, If you don't mind, I have some Austin, TX questions for you? (Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread so, PM's will work.)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:38 PM
bplein
Racer

@sb3 hit me up in PM. My wife is also an Austin realtor and can forward a lot of job/lifestyle/neighborhood information to you.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM
bplein
Racer

Originally Posted by RDL
Moving from Ohio. We've lived here all our lives, so this is a bit of a big deal.
Thanks
I was born in SF, California raised, and raised my girls there through middle school and high school. I moved them the summer prior to 9th and 12th grades, and so it was a big deal for us too.
And everyone in the family is unanimous about how good it was for us.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Do it! 35 years ago my new bride and I moved from upstate NY to Raleigh, without jobs or knowing a soul. Hardest thing I'd ever done, but after 3 months we knew we'd done the right thing! After 6 years we moved to SC to start a business, but we were sorry to leave Raleigh. The triangle area continues to boom, with great quality of life. I love SC, but wouldn't dissuade anyone from NC either. Even if you move there, and the job isn't working out, there's tons of other opportunities.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:42 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 277 Posts

Off topic forum?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:44 PM
bplein
Racer

Yes, or Regional would be best.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:40 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by sb3
We're thinking about doing the same thing. Been the the SF Bay Area for 20 years in the tech industry. bplein, If you don't mind, I have some Austin, TX questions for you? (Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread so, PM's will work.)
Check out San Antonio also, we have a LOT of tech here also, and WAY better roads! Austin traffic is a nightmare! I live about halfway between the two cities, so I can work in either place.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:11 AM
bplein
Racer

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Check out San Antonio also, we have a LOT of tech here also, and WAY better roads! Austin traffic is a nightmare! I live about halfway between the two cities, so I can work in either place.
Yeah, definitely check out San Antonio. Austin traffic is bad but in a very confined space. San Antonio is spread out, many people who work in San Antonio never have to go into downtown, as many of the businesses have moved into business parks way outside downtown. I covered Austin/San Antonio (well, actually Waco to The Valley for a while!) at my prior employer. So I spent a lot of windshield time between Austin, San Antonio, and Houston plus some other smaller towns in the region.

That said, I've spent a LOT of time stuck on 1604 or 410 at the end of the business day. In fact, my favorite way to get home from a day with customers in San Antonio is to drive up 281 to Marble Falls then east on 1431, as I live north of Austin. Avoiding 410, 1604, 35, and downtown Austin traffic.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
South Austin or maybe north San Antonio is the place. Close to COTA and Harris Hill Raceway.

Quick Reply: Possible Life Changing Move