Sponsored by:

Possible Life Changing Move

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:03 PM
sb3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Check out San Antonio also, we have a LOT of tech here also, and WAY better roads! Austin traffic is a nightmare! I live about halfway between the two cities, so I can work in either place.
Didn't think about San Antonio before. I actually have family there. The thing that is holding me back right now is we have been in CA for 20+ years and it would be hard to give up the weather, ocean, mountains, etc here. Lots to think about.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:20 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Southern Man
Do it! 35 years ago my new bride and I moved from upstate NY to Raleigh, without jobs or knowing a soul. Hardest thing I'd ever done, but after 3 months we knew we'd done the right thing! After 6 years we moved to SC to start a business, but we were sorry to leave Raleigh. The triangle area continues to boom, with great quality of life. I love SC, but wouldn't dissuade anyone from NC either. Even if you move there, and the job isn't working out, there's tons of other opportunities.
Southern Man

You had some good insight in to the future.
Upstate New York has bleed millions of people who have left for many reasons, mostly the lack of gameful employment. Not to mention the dreadful weather.
Our MSA was ranked 7th in the nation for quality of life in 1975, in 2015 it is 349 out of 350, number 350 is also in Upstate New York
Old 03-19-2019, 01:32 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sb3
Didn't think about San Antonio before. I actually have family there. The thing that is holding me back right now is we have been in CA for 20+ years and it would be hard to give up the weather, ocean, mountains, etc here. Lots to think about.
Nature sucks in Texas, all private land and very little accessibility. Not as beautiful as Cali. The ocean sucks as well.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:35 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

To address the required Porsche content, does anyone have a recommendation for a good independent shop in the Chapel Hill/Durham area? Also is anyone familiar with the local PCA region?
Old 03-19-2019, 02:50 PM
RDL
Pro

Is the weather in Chapel Hill nice enough to drive the 996 year round?
Old 03-19-2019, 03:28 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 331 Posts

Weather in Chapel Hill is nice enough to drive about 80% of the year, depending on what your preferred driving conditions are. I take mine out on sunny days only, but all in all you can pretty much drive year round if you want.

NC is a beautiful state. Moved there from MI and lived in Raleigh for the better part of 6 years before transferring back to OH. Forgot how miserable winter was and we had an internal posting for SC, dropped everything and moved back after a year in the north. Tons to do around the triangle, beach is only 2.5hr away, mountains are about the same. "Winter" is fun because if there is a threat of potential snow everything will shut down days prior. It's a different type of living compared to the north, but in a good way. Drivers in the south however...., that's a whole separate story.

Can't speak on behalf of PCA or indy shops, however.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:33 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Lots of relocated northerners in the area. I was in Raleigh and the area 1-2x a month for most of the last 10 years. Several ex-co-workers relocated there for weather, cost of living and job opportunity. The area seems to be in constant growth mode. Lots of tech jobs, reasonable cost of living, decent weather most of the year (depending upon what you are used to), very little snow (occasional ice storms), pollen from hell. People jokingly call CARY the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees, if that tells you anything...

Lots of beautiful countryside if you go even a little bit outside the urban areas. Ocean a few hours away. Opportunities to get out abound: hiking, fishing, hunting, motorcycling, decent driving roads.

One thing that would concern me is the occasional storms (hurricanes). They do get that far inland at times.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by RDL
Moving from Ohio. We've lived here all our lives, so this is a bit of a big deal.
Thanks

Do you have kids?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:59 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by bplein
Yeah, definitely check out San Antonio. Austin traffic is bad but in a very confined space. San Antonio is spread out, many people who work in San Antonio never have to go into downtown, as many of the businesses have moved into business parks way outside downtown. I covered Austin/San Antonio (well, actually Waco to The Valley for a while!) at my prior employer. So I spent a lot of windshield time between Austin, San Antonio, and Houston plus some other smaller towns in the region.

That said, I've spent a LOT of time stuck on 1604 or 410 at the end of the business day. In fact, my favorite way to get home from a day with customers in San Antonio is to drive up 281 to Marble Falls then east on 1431, as I live north of Austin. Avoiding 410, 1604, 35, and downtown Austin traffic.
Then you've driven right by my house going north on 281! About 10 miles north of 1604...
Old 03-20-2019, 04:27 PM
RDL
Pro

I have two daughters, one in Grad School at UNC Wilmington and the other is a Junior in High School. Both love the 996, with the eldest having autocrossed with me. (Required 996 content)

Quick Reply: Possible Life Changing Move