Sponsored by:

Led Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 AM
Marksamillion
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led Headlight Bulbs

Will led headlight bulbs fit in our headlight housings with fan on back, is there enough room for the fan on back of the bulb when headlight is slid back in.
Has anybody used them in their cars
Old 02-14-2019, 09:41 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I did. I went to Headlight Experts and they had a replacement for the D2 HID bulb. Only needed minor surgery to cut the 12V supply to the HID ballast. I used spade connectors so I can go back to stock if I wish. The fit was perfect. The light is whiter and is instant on but I cannot say the light is brighter. I left the factory high beam since I don’t use it that often and I find it works great. Altogether a worthy upgrade if you are doing an LED conversion. My dogs, my turn signals and my side markers are all LED as are my taillights. I have kept all original lighting so the car can be put back to stock.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
I did. I went to Headlight Experts and they had a replacement for the D2 HID bulb. Only needed minor surgery to cut the 12V supply to the HID ballast. I used spade connectors so I can go back to stock if I wish. The fit was perfect. The light is whiter and is instant on but I cannot say the light is brighter. I left the factory high beam since I don’t use it that often and I find it works great. Altogether a worthy upgrade if you are doing an LED conversion. My dogs, my turn signals and my side markers are all LED as are my taillights. I have kept all original lighting so the car can be put back to stock.
Esfoad, some Qs about the Headlight Experts bulbs you used. Do those use a driver or wired straight to 12V? (The pictures on their site don't show that). Assuming no driver, did you remove the ballast from the housing and use spade connectors to the supply end that normally powers the ballast? How did you deal with or substitute the grommet cover the ballast cable passes through? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:01 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark I
Esfoad, some Qs about the Headlight Experts bulbs you used. Do those use a driver or wired straight to 12V? (The pictures on their site don't show that). Assuming no driver, did you remove the ballast from the housing and use spade connectors to the supply end that normally powers the ballast? How did you deal with or substitute the grommet cover the ballast cable passes through? Thanks.
There’s no driver and the heat sink is passive, no fan. I left the ballast in place and the 12V wires come from within the headlight assembly. So I installed the spade connectors there and left the ballast in its existing place. Once I connected the spade connectors I covered the connection with shrink as a safety. The LED unit comes apart. It is screwed together so that’s how you install the original hold down grommet. I actually had to reach out to them to figure that out. It’s pretty slick. Since the 12V is within the housing there’s no need to touch the grommet that protects the 3 wires that attach to the ballast. FWIW one is positive, one is negative and one is a ground. You only need to tap into the positive and negative.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:53 PM
merlot
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 66 Posts

I was just researching LED bulbs yesterday.
I may go with something such as these bulbs. I may go with something such as these bulbs.
I replaced the halogen bulb in my motorcycle with a very similar bulb, which uses the braided, fanless heat sink and it works really well. You can easily fold the braids over so they fit in the enclosure.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:24 PM
adamo
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
My dogs, my turn signals and my side markers are all LED as are my taillights. I have kept all original lighting so the car can be put back to stock.
Would you mind sharing a link for where you got LED bulbs for the rear lights (brakes, reverse, signals)? I like the OEM housings, but would love to switch to LED lighting.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:02 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 831 Posts

Skip the LED bulbs. They are as useless as putting HIDs in non-HID housings. The projectors are not designed for use with an LED bulb, so the light output will be lower, there will be hot spots, you will likely blind oncoming drivers, and you will be wasting your money.
The following users liked this post:
tooloud10 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 01:14 PM
adamo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Skip the LED bulbs. They are as useless as putting HIDs in non-HID housings. The projectors are not designed for use with an LED bulb, so the light output will be lower, there will be hot spots, you will likely blind oncoming drivers, and you will be wasting your money.
For rear lights? Reverse, blinkers, and brake lights? I've done this with almost every one of my other vehicles, with none of the side-effects you mention. With HID bulbs in housings not designed for them, I agree with you, but that's not what I'm looking to do here.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:47 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 762 Posts

I did the front parking lights (they now have a blueish look), all interior lights, frunk and engine bay and the rear license plate lights...all with LED's. I think the coolest ones are the interior overhead lights and the license plate lights. That bright white light flooding the ground in the rear just (to me) looks awesome. Back to the future look?
Old 07-23-2019, 02:12 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by adamo
For rear lights? Reverse, blinkers, and brake lights? I've done this with almost every one of my other vehicles, with none of the side-effects you mention. With HID bulbs in housings not designed for them, I agree with you, but that's not what I'm looking to do here.
The OP is specifically talking about LED headlight bulbs. The other light locations are a great use case for LEDs.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:40 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

I am thinking of swapping my high beam bulbs to LED. I generally only use them in the flash to pass capacity. I rarely drive at night in areas where high beams would be used. Maybe that instant on LED flash would get buddy-what's-his-name in his F-150 out of the left lane.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:47 PM
adamo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
The OP is specifically talking about LED headlight bulbs. The other light locations are a great use case for LEDs.
Fair enough- that's why I had specifically quoted the portion about the other bulb locations (I've already done fogs, and parking lights), but would like to replace all of the bulbs at the rear end with brighter LED components.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:29 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Here’s where I got the rear LED replacement housings with and designed for LED. I kept the original housings so I can go back to stock if I ever sell this car (doubtful). It was an easy install and plug and play
https://www.carid.com/2002-porsche-9...009038230.html
For the front the LED headlamp I bought specifically stated it was a direct replacement for the HID bulbs and designed for the housing. Frankly the lights are now instant on and the pattern is the same as stock. Finally I also replaced the front turn signal bulbs but even though they were supposed to be plug and play the flashers detected no bulb and flashed fast. I was able to find a replacement relay for the bulbs that’s electronic and now everything works perfectly.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:35 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by adamo
Fair enough- that's why I had specifically quoted the portion about the other bulb locations (I've already done fogs, and parking lights), but would like to replace all of the bulbs at the rear end with brighter LED components.
Yes, you can do that with no issues provided you add an LED flasher relay for the turn signals. I’ve replaced every bulb (inside/out) with LEDs except for the low and high beam headlights and think it’s money well spent. Pix in my “build” thread should wish to have a look...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...me-03-c4s.html
Old 07-23-2019, 06:22 PM
adamo
Instructor

Originally Posted by jllphan
Yes, you can do that with no issues provided you add an LED flasher relay for the turn signals. I’ve replaced every bulb (inside/out) with LEDs except for the low and high beam headlights and think it’s money well spent. Pix in my “build” thread should wish to have a look...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...me-03-c4s.html
I'll look into the flasher relay bit, thank you. I looked through your build thread, and *love* those wheels. I'd love a set in silver for my 997 S.

Quick Reply: Led Headlight Bulbs