996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Investment Property or P-car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

Doc- this is getting off topic, but I’d like to hear your opinion on wholesalers.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:02 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
<div style="text-align:left;">Doc- this is getting off topic, but I’d like to hear your opinion on wholesalers.</div>
<br /><br />This advice goes for not just RE but any large purchase. I don't care who's offering the item(Porsche, RE, medicine, etc). I find properties in all kinds of places. I bought a house in Katy that was having a garage sale, and we happened to drive by looking for baby clothes. I heard of a lake house in TX from a pastor friend, went out and talked to the owners, and bought it direct from them. If a 'wholesaler' is selling something, I'm interested in their property, not them personally or professionally. If they have the right deal, we're in business. But, I'm not going to go look for 'wholesalers' who think they sell low margin, high volume, because who knows? No one knows what's on the other side of the deal. Maybe they are pulling 5% broker fee. All I care about is WHAT they are selling, not WHO they are. This goes for Porsche's as well. There's a big thread about Porsche of Beverly Hills that would make you pull your hair out. Supposedly a high-end sales outfit right? From what I read, BH Porsche should be put out of business.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:33 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

What cap rate do you look for in a RE investment?
Old 02-13-2019, 01:44 PM
exthree
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

The bull market 2010-2018 is the reason I bought my P-Car September 2017 TYVM! /X3
Old 02-13-2019, 01:48 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
What cap rate do you look for in a RE investment?
Depends what type of investment, triple net properties 6-7% is common. Double net 7-8%, gross leases and modified version 8-10%. Multi family depends on level, high rent or low income type. Smaller units buildings usually offer higher cap rate.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by exthree
The bull market 2010-2018 is the reason I bought my P-Car September 2017 TYVM! /X3
Ha, I bought my 2nd Porsche in Jan 2008. Poor guy selling got laid off and wanted the cash due to a bad economy at the beginning of The Great Recession. It was the perfect time to buy, not to mention, a convertible in winter is another good angle.

We may be headed for another downturn in the economy where RE will start to dip in a real way. There may be deals out there. Now is a good time to make sure we as amateur investors have enough access to capital (our own cash, or very good credit) to buy if the time is right. But the market is still quite high, so I’m going to wait it out.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:16 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Ha, I bought my 2nd Porsche in Jan 2008. Poor guy selling got laid off and wanted the cash due to a bad economy at the beginning of The Great Recession. It was the perfect time to buy, not to mention, a convertible in winter is another good angle.

We may be headed for another downturn in the economy where RE will start to dip in a real way. There may be deals out there. Now is a good time to make sure we as amateur investors have enough access to capital (our own cash, or very good credit) to buy if the time is right. But the market is still quite high, so I’m going to wait it out.
I just put an offer in on a property that adjoins my current residence and wasn't willing to go about the asking price. Was outbid by two other offers. I think the RE market here is overheated and couldn't make sense of the rental income cash flow, even after putting 25% down. Got cash and will be holding out for now.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:09 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

So, on the topic(s) at hand, P car or property. I have a couple res places in CA on long term rental. One is in San Diego, and 3 in Simi Valley. As an example, of what capital investment does, for the past year, my San Diego home has gone up 3.5% since Mar 2017. With a median price of $637,000 for residential homes, that means since last March, the home investment has made enough in equity to pay for a decent 996 (~$22,300). The Simi rentals are a bit lower, but similar. Said another way, notwithstanding the income from rent, the equity position of the home value pays for a 996 each year.

Now, the question comes in - where does it all end? I don't have the answers for that, but for the past 34 years of investing in CA, I have yet to see more than 24 months of stagnant values in RE. The worst lull was from late 2009 to early 2012. People who are short term investors, and jumped out then got hammered. And I have no remorse for those who got hosed in that market. I too a risk and bought another property at the low point. Since then, the value of the home I bought in Nov 2012 has more than doubled.

If someone wants to buy a P-car and has the cash to buy in, and maintain, go ahead and get what you want. However, if it comes down to P-car, or significant investment in RE, I would advise RE any time.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

On the flip side (no pun intended), it’s possible to lose a boat load of money buying RE at the wrong time. Case in point, a condo that once sold for $205,000 in 2006, sold again in 2009 for $53,000.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:24 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

There are a million horror stories about people getting upside down on RE as an investment. An examination of suburban Las Vegas will give anyone the *******. Just one mans opinion, but if one goes out looking where there are a dozen signs for new homes, it's almost a sure bet one is going to get hosed eventually. Also, condos are by far the WORST example of RE 'investment'. No one wants to live in or buy a condo. They are forced into the market by the cost of actual land ownership RE. I've never owned a condo, and will go to my retirement never having touched one.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:37 PM
FASTTRIP
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Real estate is the way to go , but good luck and it would depend on locations. I definitely enjoy my 996 Turbo more than my rentals but that’s how I got it.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My advice to the OP would be to buy your Porsche and enjoy your ride.You can't always play safe and do the right thing. If it doesn't work out as planned it shouldn't hurt you too much financially. We aren't talking a lot of $ here to own a 996.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:08 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
There are a million horror stories about people getting upside down on RE as an investment. An examination of suburban Las Vegas will give anyone the *******. Just one mans opinion, but if one goes out looking where there are a dozen signs for new homes, it's almost a sure bet one is going to get hosed eventually. Also, condos are by far the WORST example of RE 'investment'. No one wants to live in or buy a condo. They are forced into the market by the cost of actual land ownership RE. I've never owned a condo, and will go to my retirement never having touched one.
Condos here in Detroit are a gold mines as the younger generations are veering away from the responsibilities of property and such and buying them like crazy. My brother and I meet with fellow investors regularly for the Detroit area and the market is quite well for them. Just throwing that out there. I never touched them in the past either but thinking a little different as the market is always changing.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Just make sure you factor in the CONDO/HOA fees!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:03 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Invest and take the money you make from that to buy the car!

Quick Reply: Investment Property or P-car?