125,000 mile "tune up"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Interested to see what method you use to degrease the engine. I've tried Simple Green and brake cleaner with a whole lot of scrubbing but I still cant get it as clean as I'd like.

Also, would you mind sharing the write up you used to flush the cooling system? I need to tackle this. Was planning on swapping out Pump, T-stat and over flow tank but may wait until the fall to do these items.
I'll probably start off trying to hit what I can at the quarter car wash. Then when it gets warm around here, I'll mess with a pressure washer and a little hand-held unit I picked-up a couple of weeks ago.

Simple Green or the Purple cleaner, mixed in solution, may aid in loosening the grime. I'll be sure to report back on what works and what doesn't. I've also got cans of spray on engine de-greaser. Not sure where they fit in the hierarchy.

Regarding the flush: everything you need to know can be found in post #1 and #15 of this thread. Great information.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...pump-tips.html
Old 02-13-2019, 06:27 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

No pictures to share in this post. But the mystery of the missing rubber isolation stud has been solved. I looked around on the floor for it and also went through the photos to determine when it got knocked off. The second photo in post #66 shows it in place after I put the P/S pump and housing back in. So it was there when I started messing with pulleys, the belt and the air cleaner. The second and third photo in post #74 show it missing.

Looked around the pulleys and on the floor at the back of the car. Discovered it hung-up on one of the bosses where the engine support plate bolts to the engine. I think it's a $3 part. Started a cart at AutoAtlanta. Was hoping they had a clip for one of the coolant hard-pipes - but it comes as an assembly. Might have to find a non-Porsche part to stand in (assuming I get so **** about it). Oh the horror...
Old 02-17-2019, 06:18 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

It was almost warm enough last Thursday to go forward with a coolant flush. Did it anyway. Pulled vacuum on the system and then fed in just under six gallons of distilled water.

Figured I'd just run the engine for a couple of minutes with the windows and some of the doors open. Discovered that I damaged a fuel line while wrestling with the fuel filter. Was not a surprise. It got kinked a couple of times when moving it around while replacing the filter. The line should have been removed to allow better access and not risk damage. $85 mistake. Not that the car is going anywhere soon. The weather is not going to cooperate for about another month. Still a dumb mistake.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:33 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

So I drained out the water. Got just under six gallons. Can't risk leaving it in the system until it has a proper mix. Will flush, for real, when I can run the engine again.

Checked records for the last oil change. It was less than 2000 miles ago. Decided to pull the oil filter and cut it apart to see if there was anything unusual. Found nothing other than what appears to be the filter doing its job. Cleaned out the filter housing and installed a new filter. Transmission should not need lube yet either. Will drain the front diff though. No records of that being replaced.

With the air box out of the way, it was easy to poke a magnet down to get the piece that broke off the isolation mount. New one should arrive with the fuel line. Someday...

Old 02-17-2019, 07:31 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Decided to pull the oil filter and cut it apart to see if there was anything unusual. Found nothing other than what appears to be the filter doing its job.

Your photos are so clear/nice. When I zoom in on filter it looks like lots of particles in it? Are those air bubbles or something else.

Last edited by 85eurocarrera; 02-17-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85eurocarrera
Your photos are so clear/nice. When I zoom in on filter it looks like lots of particles in it? Are those air bubbles or something else.
That's very interesting. I didn't notice anything unusual when I took a look. I'd have to guess those are air bubbles. The whole idea was to look for metal particles or other foreign debris. There were small (black) smudges of what I would call sludge in the outboard pleats. I ran a magnet over the smudges and collected nothing. The inboard pleats were totally clean. My interpretation is that the filter is doing the job.

There was also a nice collection of sludge in the bottom of the filter housing. Cleaned out as much as I could. Will check again at each filter change.

Thank you for your observations and questions. As I mentioned before, having more eyes on these things can only be a good thing.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

There was also a nice collection of sludge in the bottom of the filter housing
Hopefully it doesn’t look like this

Old 02-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coopduc

Hopefully it doesn’t look like this
Yeah - that's ugly. Mine was nothing like that. I assume those are aluminum particles?

Mine had just a little layer of the same black sludge I found in the outboard pleats. Washed in my parts cleaner (mineral spirits) and then wiped about three times with paper towels. The sludge came out brown on the white paper towels. I doubt the housing had ever been washed out.

Is there a pressure relief valve built-in to the filter housing?
Old 02-18-2019, 11:28 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Mostly con rod bearing material from #5 piston. The rest of it was in the sump.

you should open up the filter and inspect like this. Note the steel bits on the magnet.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Mostly con rod bearing material from #5 piston. The rest of it was in the sump.

you should open up the filter and inspect like this. Note the steel bits on the magnet.
Ouch. Did that happen to you? Or are you fixing someone else's nightmare?

Yes - that is exactly what I did. I'll fish it out of the trash and snap a few shots. I was happy with what I observed, so felt it could get tossed. Need to back up and document it...
Old 02-18-2019, 12:03 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

I bought the car as a roller in that condition. I’m not interested in perfect garage queens, I’m into bringing basket cases back to life. Much more rewarding, plus I grin from ear to ear every time I drive it knowing I did it myself.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:06 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes - that is exactly what I did. I'll fish it out of the trash and snap a few shots. I was happy with what I observed, so felt it could get tossed. Need to back up and document it...
I read on here someone keeping their filters for service history sake (I think). I started doing it , dated and documented. I also, Against the grain, kept my ims bearing instead of sending in to LN. It all stays with this ticking time bomb .😎
Old 02-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Here’s a pic of the sump as removed. You may consider dropping the sump to further investigate that sludge.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:28 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

I bought the car as a roller in that condition. I’m not interested in perfect garage queens, I’m into bringing basket cases back to life. Much more rewarding, plus I grin from ear to ear every time I drive it knowing I did it myself.
I am very much the same. No garage queens and many basket cases.

Originally Posted by 85eurocarrera
I read on here someone keeping their filters for service history sake (I think). I started doing it , dated and documented. I also, Against the grain, kept my ims bearing instead of sending in to LN. It all stays with this ticking time bomb .😎
I keep too much stuff already. I don't need to start collecting used filters.

Here’s a pic of the sump as removed. You may consider dropping the sump to further investigate that sludge.
Oh yeah - that's a mess. I plan to drop the sump when I do an oil change. I'll give it to the point when the odo hits 125,000. Have another 1650, or so, to go. I thought I'd take a peak at the filter in the meantime. Had I seen anything alarming, I'd be pulling more stuff apart.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:16 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Pre-filter:

Post-filter:

Quick Reply: 125,000 mile "tune up"