Sponsored by:

125,000 mile "tune up"

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:55 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

The AOS plumbing has been revised again. The restrictive hose and brass fittings are in bins. Will have to see how this goes. I will be taking Speedy, tomorrow, to work controls on a local road rally. Wish me luck. I'll carry extra oil....

It couldn't be any simpler (thanks to the recommendations from Silk, in another thread). The AOS outlet is vented directly to the snorkel of the air box. Used some 3/4" PVC connectors. Minimum passage size is 1/2" in the short pipe in the elbow. I cut a segment from another elbow to create a positive stop inside the snorkel. The chopped "nut" prevents the connection from pulling out, even if it were able to overcome the friction-fit.

This was not planned. Walter (daily/winter/road rally car) got totaled today. A guy pulled in front of me. I had no where to go.

Since I buy beaters and pay ridiculously low prices, I have a replacement in the wings. Sparky was intended as a parts car, for Walter. Now Sparky will need to get pressed into service...

I don't have enough projects. At least it started and I was able to bring inside.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 06-14-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:34 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow. You have had quite the day. Hope you are not too sore from your accident - looks like you got hit pretty hard. Sparky actually looks pretty nice from here. Had a 1996 A4 that looked just like yours.
Daryll
Old 04-20-2019, 09:33 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Scott, are you going to fix the AOS anytime soon? Did you decide to nix the catch can altogether?
Old 04-20-2019, 01:17 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Battery Guy
Wow. You have had quite the day. Hope you are not too sore from your accident - looks like you got hit pretty hard. Sparky actually looks pretty nice from here. Had a 1996 A4 that looked just like yours.
Daryll
Daryll - Yesterday was a day to forget. I installed a new starter on Walter in the morning. Was going to replace the RF axle shaft too. Turns out I ordered the wrong part. So at least I didn't waste that work. Sparky is pretty clean, especially considering it has 265,000 miles on it. It's also a year later than Walter and has variable cam timing. Good for an additional 20-30 hp. It is losing coolant though. Never did get around to properly diagnosing and resolving that issue.

Have a lot of work ahead to get it ready to win rallies, the way I did with Walter.

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Scott, are you going to fix the AOS anytime soon? Did you decide to nix the catch can altogether?
Bill - I will try this configuration for a while. I don't think the catch can was doing anything special. All the condensation that I was collecting previously, will now just fall through the air box. The fact that I will gain a small amount of suction from the snorkel should provide a small functional improvement.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:04 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

My office for most of the day yesterday.

Worked three controls at a local rally. We use unpaved roads. They're the most fun (and a lot less traffic)...

The weather was crappy. Speedy performed flawlessly. No obvious oil loss and no concern with coolant. (AOS) Breather seems to be working as I would hope.
Speedy got two car washes yesterday! Still not very clean - had to drive home from the wash...

Spent all day today looking at getting Sparky ready for normal use, and eventual rally duty. Discovered an interesting little thing on Walter...

The lower control arm tore right through the wheel. I found a piece of finely worked aluminum in the road after the accident. Couldn't make it fit the engine or transmission. Now I know where it came from. Took back all the stuff from Walter, that had been taken from Sparky. Trunk, wiper motor/linkage, right side headlight, and the most important thing - the cup holder.

I'll be juggling my time even more thinly. Maybe Speedy is ready to grow up and stop being so needy.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:20 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Closing in on 125,000 on the odometer. Probably will get there next week. Plan to do the oil change and sump/engine inspection at that time. Got my UOA kit yesterday.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:30 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Quick update: All is well. I've been driving Speedy daily, rain or shine. Lots of rain today. Still have another 650 miles to go to hit 125,000. Will take care of the oil drain, sump plate removal and internal inspection at that time. At about 70 miles per (work) day, it will probably be the weekend of May 11.

We have a RallyCross at our farm on May 4th. There is a strong possibility I will be laying out the course in Speedy. Hope to get someone to take photos of that. Could be fun...
Old 04-30-2019, 09:02 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How long will the rally course be at your farm Scott? How many acres do you have at your farm?
Old 04-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barn996
How long will the rally course be at your farm Scott? How many acres do you have at your farm?
Hey Barn - the oval is about 1/2 mile. We don't use the north end for competition, but we often use parts of the infield. So course length is typically about 3/8 of a mile. Each competitor gets a total of eight timed runs. All times are cumulative.
We have 34 acres. It's so nice being home - I never want to leave. When I retire in about 15 months, I expect I will not need to (except to go buy beer)...

Image below shows the course, and a little over half of our property. Can you say; "paradise"?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What a great layout. Wish I was still riding dirt bikes after seeing your site. Always wanted to buy some acreage further North so I could do what you did.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:56 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Very nice Scott!
Old 05-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barn996
What a great layout. Wish I was still riding dirt bikes after seeing your site. Always wanted to buy some acreage further North so I could do what you did.
Yeah - land is a wonderful luxury.

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Very nice Scott!
Were I a religious person, I would say I am blessed. Can't believe my good fortune.
For those that were planning to run - the RallyCross has been postponed until May 18th. So if you signed up, make note...
And it's raining now.

So I had a chance to play indoors.
Messed with the Durametric tool again. Had a Q&A on fuel trims on a different thread. Decided I should look at that. Found bank #2 idle compensation to be potentially questionable. Will need to learn what I don't know.
Found this to be potentially more alarming: Cylinder #3 is clearly the roughest running of the six. Might be an injector, might be a number of things. More investigation...
Cyl #1 (red) is representative of the other cylinders with respect to roughness. #3 (blue) is clearly different.

Sundae (doggy) says; 'hello'. Even though you wouldn't think so from her stance. She's waiting for her lady to come home.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 AM
FrozenApples
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

What did you see for fuel trims? I haven't been able to find good guidance on what are acceptable values beyond just the spec limits. Trying to figure out how to isolate the potential influencing factors.

Very curious about the engine roughness metric as well. Mine is all over the place for all 6 cylinders at idle. I'll collect some logs to compare.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrozenApples
What did you see for fuel trims? I haven't been able to find good guidance on what are acceptable values beyond just the spec limits. Trying to figure out how to isolate the potential influencing factors.

Very curious about the engine roughness metric as well. Mine is all over the place for all 6 cylinders at idle. I'll collect some logs to compare.
This should take you to the page of the other thread where it got extra interesting:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ication-9.html

There are two photos on that page of my readings. Based on the feedback, there may be a leaking sluggish injector in cylinder #3. May swap it out with another cylinder and see if the roughness follows the injector.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 05-06-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:57 AM
FrozenApples
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Ah, thanks. I didn't know that's where that thread went. I stopped following it since I just installed a new AOS.

Yeah your numbers on bang on actually. I've had FRA ranging from 1.05 (KN intake) up to 1.20 (OEM intake) and RKAT up to ~2% (the units are definitely swapped incorrectly on the Durametric).

I just swapped my O2 sensors. I think I'm going to reset the computer and drive for a bit to try and get some accurate readings now.

I'll look into engine roughness data as well. My idle is a bit high (~800) and a bit lumpy. From what I remember, my roughness numbers were quite a bit higher and more variable that what you show and are describing across all 6 cylinders.

Quick Reply: 125,000 mile "tune up"