Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

13k mile 1 owner 2000 996,What would you Pay???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:25 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car will almost definitely sell for that price. If I were you and really wanted that car, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it at that price or you’ll miss out. If you really want to find a 996 that meets your criteria, be ready to pay in the $30k range. If price is more important to you than the car you end up with and you don’t mind the inconveniences of searching and dealing with sellers and waiting, then you can definitely find a nice 996 for $25k. To me, a few thousand dollars on a car I want where I don’t have to deal with all the nonsense associated with car buying is nothing. But most people on this forum seem to be more afraid of looking foolish for having paid “too much,” which is totally arbitrary, than they are with getting what they want without a huge hassle. I’m not most people. I say buy it if you want it.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 PM
1timearound
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a great point about my intended usage. It will of course be a second car and used on my days off as a run around, weather permitting. I guess what I'm thinking now is that I will use it sparingly-ish.

I honestly wasn't aware the IMSB had a shelf life. I attached the CARFAX, it might give some insight to the previous owners attention.

I know I'm not the only one who could be truly interested in this particular vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2000 911 Carfax.pdf (286.8 KB, 150 views)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:18 PM
wsmc81b
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 1timearound
Ok, I did forget to mention that the IMS has been taken care of.
I am enamored with the low millage, is that not worth so much?
Hey 1time,
Like you I am looking at a 996. As a data point 33k mile 2002 4cs and asking price is 30k, but a PPI showed a likely RMS leak, even though the IMS was just recently done. Make sure you have the car thoroughly inspected. I am arranging a second inspection, drop the pan, bore scope, camshaft alignment check ... basically an IMS pre-qualification.
The shop I am having the work done at has a 20k mile 996 up on a lift. Buyer just bought their "dream" car. After they bought it they took it to the shop. The engine is now out of the car and a new factory long block is on the bench ready to be installed. I saw the engine that came out of the car, the scoring on the cylinders was unbelievable. The "dream" turned into a nightmare.
Even with low miles, make sure you do your due diligence on the car. I am sure the person who bought the car at the shop was also "enamored" with it. I can only imagine how I would feel after getting the news that a low mileage vehicle would need a new engine, right after purchase! I feel sorry for the buyer.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:41 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

For that money I would buy a roller 996 and have an engine rebuild by F6 with nickies etc. I think you would save around 8k and have a really nice motor with no worries.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:48 PM
NE1N-11
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

I just bought a '01 C4 with 12,500 miles (one owner, garage kept) for $21K. The IMS and water pump has to be done. It also needed new tires as they were original.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:33 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyfishnick
How exciting to find the ONE! I know your question well because I ran into a similar situation with my wife's car. She found a VW Beetle, 2006, with something like 1300 miles annual average use by a little old lady who bought, serviced and returned it to the same dealer. To me, the car was 12 years old, less than 36,000 miles and still had the new car leather smell. I liked it and paid what I felt it was worth. Did I pay a little more than market value, YEP. But not a ton over market value.
I think the $31k is over market value, but you have to be happy. Market value does not always account for everything, the mind and spirit have some say too.
In 2017 I bought my 2006 Ford Mustang with only 19,000 miles.(1700 avg miles/yr)
Looking at the CarFax it had been driven only 300 miles some years.
It lwas 11 years old and looked like a brand new car.
I paid a premium and the car has been pretty reliable.
It now only has 24,000 miles on it, but is now stored outside because: Porsche!

So yes, sometimes I would agree with paying a little more.
But with an old Porsche, I would make certain to get a PPI that includes dropping the sump and scoping the bores before spending $30K.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:55 PM
mrjonger
Pro

I think the car will sell for close to asking. But if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy a low mileage car. A lot of things on this car need to replaced just due to age - there's a good chance many of these things have been replaced on a driver.

My 19K mile car has had the following things done after purchase (now at 37K miles): IMS Solution, RMS, Clutch & flywheel, water pump, coolant expansion tank, rectifier, secondary air injector, shocks and catalytic converters. On the bubble - frunk struts, window regulator, suspension bushings.

A lot (maybe all) of these things probably would have been addressed on a driver.

Low mileage premium + cost of deferred/overlooked repairs = not worth it. These cars are not going to be collectible anytime soon...I don't think buying a garage queen is worth it. I would follow Chris's lead - for that money, roller + 3.8 or 4.0 FSI rebuild. You'll just have to wait.

If you're looking to buy this car and you need to do IMS/RMS and other preventative maintenance - forget it, make the stretch and look for a turbo.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:03 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts
Default Joey

Originally Posted by wsmc81b
Hey 1time,
Like you I am looking at a 996. As a data point 33k mile 2002 4cs and asking price is 30k, but a PPI showed a likely RMS leak, even though the IMS was just recently done. Make sure you have the car thoroughly inspected. I am arranging a second inspection, drop the pan, bore scope, camshaft alignment check ... basically an IMS pre-qualification.
The shop I am having the work done at has a 20k mile 996 up on a lift. Buyer just bought their "dream" car. After they bought it they took it to the shop. The engine is now out of the car and a new factory long block is on the bench ready to be installed. I saw the engine that came out of the car, the scoring on the cylinders was unbelievable. The "dream" turned into a nightmare.
Even with low miles, make sure you do your due diligence on the car. I am sure the person who bought the car at the shop was also "enamored" with it. I can only imagine how I would feel after getting the news that a low mileage vehicle would need a new engine, right after purchase! I feel sorry for the buyer.
Are you seeing this?
Who's "dumb" (as you say) for 996 owners pointing a newbie in the right direction? Buyer beware!
Great cars, just make sure you know what you're in for...
Old 01-22-2019, 04:14 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

As someone who has done a lot of reading here and elsewhere about these cars, 14K miles would scare me. That's only about 800 miles a year. No car benefits from sitting that much.

And there are few known problems these cars have that show up as they are being used. I am thinking mostly of things like the coolant expansion tank. This appears to be a common enough problem, and this car hasn't been driven enough for it to have made itself known.

Other than that, this is a duplicate of my car. I love it more than any car I owned. My PO had the IMS done and the coolant tank, but other than that I have had very few issues. There is an opinion that early cars with the 3.4 have fewer overall issues, but that is just an opinion.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:15 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is one more data point for you to consider. 2006 C2S with 13,000 miles sold on BAT for $45k yesterday, $47,450 with the buyer's premium. Not saying this is a good deal or a bad deal, but someone thought that car was worth that amount of money. Obviously a different car than a 2002, with different equipment, but at least it is similar mileage. Some people put a huge premium on low miles, others do not for the (many) reasons listed above. In my case I wanted something that was not so perfect that I would not drive it - cars to me are to be driven. If I had to worry constantly about it that would take the fun away for me.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-carrera-s-28/

Daryll
Old 01-22-2019, 04:29 PM
gcthree
Burning Brakes

Location: Williamsburg, Virginia by way of Garden City, New York
Received 117 Likes on 37 Posts

I do not think that 800 annual miles is unreasonable for a car that is carefully maintained. It's clearly not a daily driver, and I will be hard pressed to account for 1,000 miles per year on my car.

Is the price a bit high? Yes, but given the mileage, updated IMS, and care by the original owner....where are you going to find another like it? You'll kick yourself in the butt for letting the car you want get away for, say, $2,000 and then need to go through the agonizing process again knowing that the cars you'll find will not measure-up to this car. It's not like he's asking a $10k premium....

I do feel that these cars are beginning to be discovered and the values will catch-up to what you paid for it.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:37 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

There's still a lot of 996's out there! Take your time and get the one that checks all your boxes. Just don't strap yourself right out of the gate. Make sure you have a $5-7K cushion.

I just noticed that some idiot clipped my passenger mirror while parked away from anyone else, sure glad it's not a garage queen!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:57 PM
mrjonger
Pro

As stated, I wouldn't do it, but Battery guy brings up a good resource for comps. BAT has it's sales history - I think the car in mention probably would make the criteria to be sold there. BAT tends to generate higher prices then average. Some notes, 1999 models sell for a premium - particularly with Aero kit. 4S and Anniversery editions also go for higher. My opinion is that desirable options do impact price, but not as much on the super low mile examples. Here's a few I found after a quick search. Happy hunting. Either way, the 996 is a great deal for the money.

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/996/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-39/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-27/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-carrera-3/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-porsche-911-12/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...11-carrera-25/
Old 01-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

How many 13K miles, one owner 996’s are left? And in a unique color? OP, buy what you want. In the end it’s only money.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:31 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Agent Jester
How many 13K miles, one owner 996’s are left? And in a unique color? OP, buy what you want. In the end it’s only money.
I know of a 1500 mile AE that's for sale right now $75k and it was sold 100 miles ago when the asking price was $55K, kind of crazy if you ask me. There's a nice AE for $21K right now with under 100K miles.

Quick Reply: 13k mile 1 owner 2000 996,What would you Pay???