Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

13k mile 1 owner 2000 996,What would you Pay???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 10:27 AM
1timearound
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13k mile 1 owner 2000 996,What would you Pay???

Hi everyone, I have been waiting for too long to pull the trigger on buying my first Porsche. I had decided years ago that the 996 is the only 911 within reach for me.
That being said, I've been increasingly choosy in my search that I basically now only want the cleanest 996 I can get.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1 owner 2000 C2 with less than 14,000 miles. The previous owner was very particular and the car has never been tracked.

The option list is very short but its been had more service than was needed and it being the low millage and color (Ocean Blue) that I really like.
It was just offered for sale yesterday and the seller is standing firm at $31K
What would you pay?
VIN: WP0AA2998YS621226
Any and all thoughts are welcome and valued.

Thanks !

Last edited by 1timearound; 01-22-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Added Vin for better feedback
Old 01-22-2019, 10:34 AM
shft22
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

In my opinion that is a lot of money for that car. I think the going price for a similar car is around the mid teens. At least that is what I remember seen when I was looking 9 months ago, for reference I purchased an 02 C4S for well less that his asking price.
Also, keep in mind that the lower miles does not exclude you from IMS, Water pump, and other issues, you still have to address these.

Last edited by shft22; 01-22-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 AM
1timearound
AutoX

Ok, I did forget to mention that the IMS has been taken care of.
I am enamored with the low millage, is that not worth so much?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:44 AM
Southernman
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's the old adage that something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. And of course supply and demand. Take a look at the popular sales sites right now and you'll be hard pressed to find another similar car with that low mileage.

Based on what's for sale right now and their asking prices, combined with some recent Bring A Trailer sales, my suggestion (and it is only that) is that the car should sell for $25k.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:45 AM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

Look what 30k will buy in 996/997. Unless it has some unique options or provenance, that's much more than I'd pay.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:50 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Let them stand firm, I bet they will lower their price when it doesn't sell.
Standing firm never sells cars when selling on your own.
People want a deal, and if they don't talk the seller down a bit they feel like they didn't get one.
You should always ask for more than you actually want.
If they want $31K, they should have listed for higher.

I think it is priced a little high, but perhaps not because of the low mileage.
But shft22 is correct that low miles don't necessarily mean trouble free.
I worked on a 25 year old Toyota Camry last week with 42K miles. (less than 1700 miles per year )
They also gave me all their receipts for repairs.
It had "recently" had CV Joints, CV boots, water hoses, plugs, coils, transmission pan gasket, differential gasket and front struts replaced.
I quoted, and will soon replace, the oil pan gasket, hood shocks, and front and rear brakes.
I'm sending it out for new tires.
It looks brand new inside and out, but age got to everything instead of mileage.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:02 AM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Southernman
There's the old adage that something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. And of course supply and demand. Take a look at the popular sales sites right now and you'll be hard pressed to find another similar car with that low mileage.
Great point.
If not in any rush to sell, why not try?
Old 01-22-2019, 11:05 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Southernman
Based on what's for sale right now and their asking prices, combined with some recent Bring A Trailer sales, my suggestion (and it is only that) is that the car should sell for $25k.
+1
Old 01-22-2019, 11:10 AM
1timearound
AutoX

I too was thinking 25K sounded reasonable. I know there are thousands of 996's out there but I can't seem to shake the feeling that this low millage creampuff won't be around very long. Its tough because Ive been looking so long that I now limit my search to low millage, 1-2 owner cars with "perfect" service history and it has to be one of 3 colors. It really limits my options.

On a side note, I'm feeling a time crunch because my wife has the baby itch coming on STRONG and if that happens first I'm afraid my 911 dream will go up in a smoke.

Last edited by 1timearound; 01-22-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:15 AM
Sula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Low-mileage examples are attractive to many buyers. Provided this one truly is in great shape with no problems, I expect it will go for close to the asking price - say, $29K.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:17 AM
MattBurns
Instructor

I wouldn't fixate on the low mileage. I would rather a car that didn't sit for long periods of time. It would be one thing if it was a rare model, but a 2000 C2 without a ton of options isn't a rare car. You could buy as nice a car for 25K and have 6 grand in your pocket to do with as you please. I personally bought a clean car but with high mileage for 16, because I'm not scared of the car mechanically, I think it was the right money for the car, and my mission for the car really doesn't justify me spending more than that. Even at super low mileage, I would have the car checked out thoroughly by a knowledgeable professional.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:45 AM
1timearound
AutoX

I'm not afraid of a car with higher mileage, mechanically speaking, I just know how particular I am and that I have a better chance of being satiated with a particularly low millage choice. Still, the question is HOW much is that worth...Im getting the feeling its not 31K.

I'm appreciative for the great feed back.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

How exciting to find the ONE! I know your question well because I ran into a similar situation with my wife's car. She found a VW Beetle, 2006, with something like 1300 miles annual average use by a little old lady who bought, serviced and returned it to the same dealer. To me, the car was 12 years old, less than 36,000 miles and still had the new car leather smell. I liked it and paid what I felt it was worth. Did I pay a little more than market value, YEP. But not a ton over market value.
I think the $31k is over market value, but you have to be happy. Market value does not always account for everything, the mind and spirit have some say too.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:13 PM
MattBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1timearound
I'm not afraid of a car with higher mileage, mechanically speaking, I just know how particular I am and that I have a better chance of being satiated with a particularly low millage choice. Still, the question is HOW much is that worth...Im getting the feeling its not 31K.

I'm appreciative for the great feed back.
I guess the question I should have asked is what mission do you have for the car? Are you going to drive the wheels off of it or are you going to drive it very sparingly and take loving care of it? If it's drive the wheels off of it, the added value of the low miles and condition is going to evaporate quickly. Not saying one way or another is best, but when I was faced with answering the question of what I was going to do with the car, I didn't want one so nice that I was going to be paranoid when I parked it somewhere, or if my wife or daughter were driving it. In short, I wanted the car for fun, not for a show piece. Unfortunately in the past I have bought things that were actually too nice. I spent more time worrying about them, cleaning them, agonizing over every little chip and scratch that I just didn't enjoy the ownership. I admire people that can seemingly effortlessly keep a vehicle perfect, I am unfortunately not one of those people.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:15 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Don't forget that unless the oil has been changed annually, that could cause issues too. When was the IMSB changed as it has a shelf life?
$25K would be fair but you may have to still replace some parts due to age as mentioned above.

It's exciting and I wish you luck!

Quick Reply: 13k mile 1 owner 2000 996,What would you Pay???