996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

40th Anniversary Edition as DD

Old 01-14-2019, 01:34 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I have a 40th with IMS solution. I have put about 57k miles on it; up to 98k total now. I have done plenty of work commuting and long trips. The stock suspension is plenty high and soft. The stock mufflers are plenty quiet. The stock radio works okay exception you need a dension or something for hooking up bluetooth.

If you are a skilled winter driver I suppose it would do okay with the right tires.

The 997 is a great car too but there's no real difference in IMS risk between the two; I'd pick whichever one you can get for lowest miles and nicest condition within your budget.

Even though I am not an AWD fan, I would search for a C4S in your position- they can be found with X51 (or come with x51 standard?).
X51 is option only on C4S. The four wheel drive on a C4 does not make them much better in snow, definitely not a Jeep type vehicle. I have read about people burning the front drive disc up spinning the wheels when stuck. I thought it was mostly a track feature as the system transfers more to front as disc heats up. Just what I've read...Since OP has an option when it's snowy the P-car might be a choice. It would be fun ripping down LSD! However, I stick to my comments above, as well.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:57 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I have a 40th with IMS solution. I have put about 57k miles on it; up to 98k total now. I have done plenty of work commuting and long trips. The stock suspension is plenty high and soft. The stock mufflers are plenty quiet. The stock radio works okay exception you need a dension or something for hooking up bluetooth.

If you are a skilled winter driver I suppose it would do okay with the right tires.

The 997 is a great car too but there's no real difference in IMS risk between the two; I'd pick whichever one you can get for lowest miles and nicest condition within your budget.

Even though I am not an AWD fan, I would search for a C4S in your position- they can be found with X51 (or come with x51 standard?).
The particular 40th AE that I'm looking at doesn't have an IMS upgrade, but the dealer seemed to suggest that they would either do the retrofit in-house (dual row) or mark it down accordingly. From what I've read the IMS Solution is the only "permanent" retrofit, but the costs that I've seen are around $8k.

My understanding is that the 997.2 and up don't have the IMS bearing issues. Am I mistaken?

Yes, the stereo seemed fine, but I would like Bluetooth and it seems that there are several units that are easy to swap in.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:10 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

If you are simply doing the IMS solution, $8k is a ridiculous figure. Even with new clutch, flywheel, RMS, IMS solution, $8k is a ridiculous figure.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:55 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by e90steve
If you are simply doing the IMS solution, $8k is a ridiculous figure. Even with new clutch, flywheel, RMS, IMS solution, $8k is a ridiculous figure.
I'm not sure where I saw that. Maybe I misread. This guy claims that you should go in expecting to pay $6500, but that it includes additional repairs that he claims are commonly needed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ll-west.html#5
Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Last year my car was in the shop for the following:
R&I Transmission - $912 Labor
Replace Clutch - $228 Labor, $748 Clutch kit, $5.7 Pressure Bolt
Replace Air Oil Separator - $342 Labor, $140.89 Part
Install IMS Bearing - $456 Labor, $729 Part (I installed retrofit, Solution will be more)
Replace Main Seal - $57 Labor, $27.21 Part
Replace Flywheel - $0 Labor, $804 Parts
Oil Change - $57 Labor, $120.87 Oil and Parts
Transmission Fluid Replace - $57 Labor, $55.56 Fluid
Coolant Flush - $114 Labor, $75 Coolant

Total for those items: $4,929.23
AOS and Coolant were not Transmission related so deduct for those comes out to:
$4,257.34 for IMS/Clutch/RMS/Flywheel

My car had a new water pump installed so didn't need that. IMS Solution will be about 1k more in parts.

As far as additional repairs, who knows. All depends on the condition of your car. Give a mechanic an open check book and they will certainly find ways to spend your money. But the IMS/Clutch/RMS/Flywheel themselves are certainly not 8k.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:56 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by e90steve
Last year my car was in the shop for the following:
R&I Transmission - $912 Labor
Replace Clutch - $228 Labor, $748 Clutch kit, $5.7 Pressure Bolt
Replace Air Oil Separator - $342 Labor, $140.89 Part
Install IMS Bearing - $456 Labor, $729 Part (I installed retrofit, Solution will be more)
Replace Main Seal - $57 Labor, $27.21 Part
Replace Flywheel - $0 Labor, $804 Parts
Oil Change - $57 Labor, $120.87 Oil and Parts
Transmission Fluid Replace - $57 Labor, $55.56 Fluid
Coolant Flush - $114 Labor, $75 Coolant

Total for those items: $4,929.23
AOS and Coolant were not Transmission related so deduct for those comes out to:
$4,257.34 for IMS/Clutch/RMS/Flywheel

My car had a new water pump installed so didn't need that. IMS Solution will be about 1k more in parts.

As far as additional repairs, who knows. All depends on the condition of your car. Give a mechanic an open check book and they will certainly find ways to spend your money. But the IMS/Clutch/RMS/Flywheel themselves are certainly not 8k.
Ok. That sounds much better. The car is being sold by a Porsche dealer, so I would hope that the PPI would have caught any major issues (aside from the IMS for which its difficult to catch), but maybe that's wishful thinking.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:10 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I daily my 996.
Mine isn't an anniversary, but I don't have the stock suspension anymore either.
I did adjust my coil overs to their maximum height, but that's mainly for speed bumps in parking lots.
I keep the rebound set to their medium setting.
Adjustable coil overs or shocks really can give you a nice commuter and a fun weekend driver.

My commute is 52 miles, with about half of that being stop and go traffic.
It's really not that bad...and once I get a chance to drive more spiritedly, I forget all about the creeping along part.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:04 AM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I’d say “it depends on what you want from a DD”

I own a 40AE but it’s my weekend/fun car. The suspension rides high enough to deal with most driveways. But it’s a bit stiffer than stock. I’m in Central Texas and while we have our share of rough roads, there are lots of nicely done asphalt and concrete highways. We don’t have salt here and it’s rare to get sand (if it’s that weather, drive your other car which is likely a pickup).

The car has enough torque that you don’t need to rev it a lot in first to get out of your neighborhood or away from a stoplight. You can drive in 2nd gear from near zero all the way up and past 70mph. So in reality when you are putting around town you are in 2nd, or 3rd as you get away from the stoplights.

So so the biggest variables in my mind are Chicago weather and roads. Otherwise it’s an easy car to get along with. Plus you have that X51 screaming burst from 5500-redline that makes you smile.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
...once I get a chance to drive more spiritedly, I forget all about the creeping along part.
Same here!

Old 01-15-2019, 12:43 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I daily my 996.
Mine isn't an anniversary, but I don't have the stock suspension anymore either.
I did adjust my coil overs to their maximum height, but that's mainly for speed bumps in parking lots.
I keep the rebound set to their medium setting.
Adjustable coil overs or shocks really can give you a nice commuter and a fun weekend driver.

My commute is 52 miles, with about half of that being stop and go traffic.
It's really not that bad...and once I get a chance to drive more spiritedly, I forget all about the creeping along part.
I was expecting the suspension to be pretty stiff, but it was surprisingly comfortable.

I'm lucky that mine seems to be one of the only reverse commutes, so there is little creeping along.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by bplein
I’d say “it depends on what you want from a DD”

I own a 40AE but it’s my weekend/fun car. The suspension rides high enough to deal with most driveways. But it’s a bit stiffer than stock. I’m in Central Texas and while we have our share of rough roads, there are lots of nicely done asphalt and concrete highways. We don’t have salt here and it’s rare to get sand (if it’s that weather, drive your other car which is likely a pickup).

The car has enough torque that you don’t need to rev it a lot in first to get out of your neighborhood or away from a stoplight. You can drive in 2nd gear from near zero all the way up and past 70mph. So in reality when you are putting around town you are in 2nd, or 3rd as you get away from the stoplights.

So so the biggest variables in my mind are Chicago weather and roads. Otherwise it’s an easy car to get along with. Plus you have that X51 screaming burst from 5500-redline that makes you smile.
One of the first things that the dealer mentioned when I took it for a test drive is that you can go up to 70mph in 2nd gear. I'd be red-lining if I did that in my 330xi.

As I mentioned in my previous reply, I didn't think that the suspension was stiff during my test-drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 40th Anniversary Edition as DD