Sponsored by:

Wife surprised

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Balr14
I bought my first 911 last year and my wife just hates it. She hates any kind of performance car. She drives a Saturn Vue and swears she will keep it forever, so offering her something newer doesn't work. Oh well, I guess there are going to be times I'm going to do things that won't make her happy!!
Update:

Had a discussion with my spouse today while at work and she said to me,
"If something happened to you (died today) and it was me that stood in your way from experiencing your dream, I don't think I could live with that. I would want you to have it!"
Thanks to all of you and your kind words, I told her that, "I appreciated her saying that, and it would make my life so much more complete to know that I could give her something that she has always wanted, if I knew that it would bring a smile to her face." She told me that she is scared that driving a P-car would kill me because I would drive it too fast.

So...

Is there someway to promise that you won't drive too fast when that is in fact what these cars are designed for?

Old 01-16-2019, 08:10 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Do have a propensity for recklessness, or lack of judgment in other aspects of your life? Free climber? Hang gliding? Heavy drink/smoke? Unprotected sex with hookers?

PCNA sponsors guest days at many tracks around the country. If you want a bit of fast driving, sign up for one of their training sessions.

Spirited driving in a well designed car can be fairly safe. Of course, one could always round the bend and see a herd of Elk in a Buick stationwagon as well.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:25 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by gumanow
Update:

"If something happened to you (died today) and it was me that stood in your way from experiencing your dream, I don't think I could live with that. I would want you to have it!"
Thanks to all of you and your kind words, I told her that, "I appreciated her saying that, and it would make my life so much more complete to know that I could give her something that she has always wanted, if I knew that it would bring a smile to her face." She told me that she is scared that driving a P-car would kill me because I would drive it too fast.

So...

Is there someway to promise that you won't drive too fast when that is in fact what these cars are designed for?
I like the idea of a track day but let's be real Accords come with the same horsepower as the 996. Show her that 300 hp is pretty standard these days. You don't have to have a Porsche to do something stupid in your car.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:14 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,348 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm single so I buy whatever I want.
My girlfriend thinks my cars are cool but doesn't necessarily like riding in them. Where you married guys have it over me is that I won't have anyone to change my diaper or wipe the drool off my chin when I get old.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:14 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Originally Posted by docmirror
Do have a propensity for recklessness, or lack of judgment in other aspects of your life? Free climber? Hang gliding? Heavy drink/smoke? Unprotected sex with hookers?

PCNA sponsors guest days at many tracks around the country. If you want a bit of fast driving, sign up for one of their training sessions.

Spirited driving in a well designed car can be fairly safe. Of course, one could always round the bend and see a herd of Elk in a Buick stationwagon as well.
The only car accidents I've been in have been someone running a red light and t-boning me, and as a passenger in a 1972 Saab that hydro-planed into the rear of another car. Not a free climber or hang glider. Don't drink or smoke, and haven't frequented any hookers. Gosh, I sound boring! In fact, when I go to the doctor's office and they ask about my health history, it's boring too. No diseases, no operations, no medications, no allergies... I do have a pulse though.

Spouse asked if she wanted to learn to fly an airplane and take flying lessons, would I support her? I told her I would love that, and we could buy a plane too! (She hates to fly in a commercial jet, but would definitely support her doing this.) BTW, my son is a climber but he doesn't free climb outdoors.

Not sure I want to suggest to her that I would love to take in a track day. She's already offered to buy me a few laps at the local track using a third-party car. You know those Groupon deals where you can do 3 laps in a 911, Ferrari, or Lambo?

Looked into the HP on a Camry and Accord and much to my surprise they do come close. Appreciate all the suggestions.

At this point, I think she's waiting for me to come home with the car, and I'm at the point of finding the right car for me. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I really think we are getting closer.

G.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:16 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
I'm single so I buy whatever I want.
My girlfriend thinks my cars are cool but doesn't necessarily like riding in them. Where you married guys have it over me is that I won't have anyone to change my diaper or wipe the drool off my chin when I get old.

She looks pretty happy here!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:31 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

The only car accidents I've been in have been someone running a red light and t-boning me, and as a passenger in a 1972 Saab that hydro-planed into the rear of another car. Not a free climber or hang glider. Don't drink or smoke, and haven't frequented any hookers. Gosh, I sound boring! In fact, when I go to the doctor's office and they ask about my health history, it's boring too. No diseases, no operations, no medications, no allergies... I do have a pulse though.

Spouse asked if she wanted to learn to fly an airplane and take flying lessons, would I support her? I told her I would love that, and we could buy a plane too! (She hates to fly in a commercial jet, but would definitely support her doing this.) BTW, my son is a climber but he doesn't free climb outdoors.

Not sure I want to suggest to her that I would love to take in a track day. She's already offered to buy me a few laps at the local track using a third-party car. You know those Groupon deals where you can do 3 laps in a 911, Ferrari, or Lambo?

Looked into the HP on a Camry and Accord and much to my surprise they do come close. Appreciate all the suggestions.

At this point, I think she's waiting for me to come home with the car, and I'm at the point of finding the right car for me. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I really think we are getting closer.

G.
Sounds like you're on the way. Start shopping TOGETHER. Make it a once a week thing, go look at one or two cars, get in the flow.

BTW I've been a pilot for +40 years. I fly a Beech Bonanza, and I will tell you honestly the freedom of flight in your own plane, and the challenge of getting and maintaining flying proficiency is one of the greatest pleasures I've had.

Yes, I did fly right between those two columns in Monument Valley.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:29 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Update:

So...

To be fair, compared to modern cars, the 996 is not a crazy fast car as in was back in the early 2000s. Hell, a new Honda civic type R is faster in everything except top speed; it stops shorter, and can pull over 1 G on a skid pad and is faster around the Nurburgring by over 30 seconds. The 996 isnt a death trap unless you just do something stupid.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

My wife is the one who found my car.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:49 AM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I used to have a 928. The wife loved driving it (it was an automatic), loved the way it looked and generally didn't care when I bought parts. However, the list of things it needed kept growing, in inverse proportion to my motivation to do anything, especially after I tore my meniscus taking the rear calipers off to rebuild them. The biggest job that I couldn't stop thinking about was the timing belt, and I just could not get up the motivation to do it, nor pay someone else to do it.

So one night, after a couple beers I just came out with, "I am going to sell the 928, buy a more recent 911 with a stick, and drive it across country." To her credit she just said, "uh.....ok?" It probably helps that rarely do I spend anything on myself. But later I worked out the numbers, which were better than I thought they'd be originally because I paid next to nothing for the 928 and they seem to be appreciating. So, I went through with it. The hardest part was selling the 928. I am generally not a nostalgic person, but that was my first "fun" car. However, driving this beast from Cali to NJ was one of the best things I'd ever done.

Anyway, wife hates the new car. She hasn't driven a manual in years and sees that I'm a little nervous about her "re-learning" on my favorite car ever (I burn out the clutch enough). She liked the way the 928 looked (especially the pop up headlights). She doesn't care that the 928 was slow. I guess the point is, I want very little. She saw that I really wanted this, so she at least tolerated it. I wished she liked it more but it's obviously something that makes me very happy, so I assume she sees some value in me not being so grumpy all the time.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:45 PM
details
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me say this: This is the most competent automobile I've ever owned. By far.

Sure, it's quick accelerating. It's fast around curves. It'll stop very quickly. It has a top speed that most of us will never see.

But all these things make it safe and competent when driven normally. There are a lot of electronic nannies available on modern cars of all makes, models, and price points. But how many of them are truly as competent as a 996? If you had to avoid a deer, what would you rather be in, a 996 or a recent Accord (or similar)? I know my answer.

You can promise that you won't drive too fast, but I'd try and stress the competence of these cars.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by details
But how many of them are truly as competent as a 996? If you had to avoid a deer, what would you rather be in, a 996 or a recent Accord (or similar)? I know my answer.
Deer? Try if you had to avoid an Accord. Those things jump out of no where.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:23 PM
MattBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G.
Interesting she should bring that up, I got my PPL last year. It was one of the most incredibly fulfilling journeys I have ever taken. My wife loves flying with me also, though she was a bit nervous when her and the kids gave me the gift certificate for my introductory flight. Now we fly together regularly. I do lots of things people consider dangerous. I fly, I have fast boats, I race a dirt sprint car on a frozen pond in the winter, I ride a motorcycle, and yes I now have a Porsche. But, I also own a business, don't drink, try my best to balance work, fun, and family, and do everything I can to be a good husband and father. I make decisions that are typically well thought out and sound (at least in my mind) and she recognizes that. Could I get killed doing any of those things? Absolutely! Or I could get killed standing under a customers car working on it, or get hit walking down the road to the Post Office, or my worst fear of all, get sick and just have my body give up on this journey prematurely. The older we get the more opportunities we seem to have of watching people leaving too soon, and missing out on doing all those things they said they would like to do someday. Neither her nor I want to leave with a bunch of those "somedays" on the table still. Today, she is in Paris with a friend. It was a totally unexpected trip she was able to arrange a month or so back. When she brought it up I told her I think she should do it as soon as she could.

Your wife sounds like she gets it, and so do you. Go buy her an introductory flight and encourage the heck out of her if she wants to go through with getting her ticket. Sounds like she is ready to help you fulfill your dream of getting a Porsche also. Keep supporting each other and enjoy the adventure together, the memories from these journeys are priceless.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:41 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I have told my wife this and we both believe it and it is the foundation of our marriage:

I would never insist on something I know you don't believe in.

This includes each other.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:10 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Originally Posted by details
Let me say this: This is the most competent automobile I've ever owned. By far.

Sure, it's quick accelerating. It's fast around curves. It'll stop very quickly. It has a top speed that most of us will never see.

But all these things make it safe and competent when driven normally. There are a lot of electronic nannies available on modern cars of all makes, models, and price points. But how many of them are truly as competent as a 996? If you had to avoid a deer, what would you rather be in, a 996 or a recent Accord (or similar)? I know my answer.

You can promise that you won't drive too fast, but I'd try and stress the competence of these cars.
Last night I casually mentioned that there are Honda Civics on the market with more power than a 911. She is coming around to it now and is probably wondering when I'll show up with it now. I think she is now expecting to see a 911 in the driveway.

I was traveling on business the last few days and rented a car at the airport to get home and to my office the next day. Hertz rents out 911's from time to time and I told my wife that I thought about renting one and parking it in the driveway to make her think it was mine. We had a good laugh.

I'm thinking she now knows it is inevitable.

Quick Reply: Wife surprised