Sponsored by:

Wife surprised

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:44 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by gumanow

Ok, I’m getting a lot of heat for this statement, but I am talking about a new sport coat, shirt and tie. And my wife didn’t want me going in my old black suit. She didn’t want me looking like I was going to a funeral. My son got married at a camp ground on Mt. Hood.
Sorry, my comment was not intended as a criticism at all. My apologies if it came off that way. Nothing wrong with appreciating nice things and showing off once in a while God knows I did lots of it in my younger days . I'm just at a pointing my life where I actively try to fly under the radar, when possible...but still appreciate nice things, and like to be around them.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

I've conditioned my wife to accept anything that shows up in the driveway. Start with cheap cars, and rotate them out after a few months. Once you have a bunch coming or going, she will start to lose track of what is what. Once she starts saying things like "Whose car is that?" and "do we own this?" it is time to strike and buy your dream ride. Remote storage helps too. Godspeed, OP.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:17 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I've conditioned my wife to accept anything that shows up in the driveway. Start with cheap cars, and rotate them out after a few months. Once you have a bunch coming or going, she will start to lose track of what is what. Once she starts saying things like "Whose car is that?" and "do we own this?" it is time to strike and buy your dream ride. Remote storage helps too. Godspeed, OP.
Exactly!
My wife took a trip to Thailand a while back. While she was away, I bought a vintage car. We had an interesting email exchange: me; I bought a car yesterday. her; What is it? me; It's red. her; Oh no... what KIND of car? me; It came from Italy, a long time ago. her; It better not be a Ferrari. me; How's the weather and your family? Trip going well? her; Did you buy a FERRARI?!?!? me; Well, yes, kind of - but it's a small one. Barely a Ferrari. Her; You are a dead man. Me; Have a safe trip, see you soon!

But, she got to like the car eventually. We took some nice trips in it, and so far it's gone up in value. I figured with her having a nice 3 week vacation in a warm sunny place, I should be off the hook. It kinda worked, and we still have the Ferrari.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:48 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

My gamble has paid off as the wifey insist on parking in the driveway and the 996 gets garaged...Also, black being her favorite car color helps.
These are fantastic cars for the money!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:51 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

I discussed the 911 prior to purchase with my wife. She understood that she didn't have the final say, but had a say.

She drives it, but doesn't love it. She loves it for me, probably because it gives me something to focus and obsess over. Rather than bikes or watches or whatever I am obsessing over at the time.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

My wife bought me my 987 and put up with my 914 that I had before we got married. I kept it in my divorce. She knew I had a car thing when we got married. I still have both.

If any of my sons got married and my ex wife was there, she'd buy me a new suit AND the 997.

You only live once and hopefully only married twice.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by gumanow
What I was saying is that her perception is, and so many of us deal with this, that Porsche owners think of themselves as better, elite, privileged. It is a perception that has been written about even on this forum!!!
I'm a pretty calm easy going guy, not looking for any attention, but when someone walks up and asks what model of beetle it is, that just hits me in my jockey jewels. I then go full ninja. Get my drift?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:02 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Most douchebags drive BMW's. As for 996 I think all the douchebags have long left and are driving 993 or 997s' or something newer
Old 01-15-2019, 10:06 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
:
My wife took a trip to Thailand a while back. While she was away, I bought a vintage car. We had an interesting email exchange: me; I bought a car yesterday. her; What is it? me; It's red. her; Oh no... what KIND of car? me; It came from Italy, a long time ago. her; It better not be a Ferrari. me; How's the weather and your family? Trip going well? her; Did you buy a FERRARI?!?!? me; Well, yes, kind of - but it's a small one. Barely a Ferrari. Her; You are a dead man. Me; Have a safe trip, see you soon!
What's that old saying about forgiveness versus permission? Love to own a Ferrari.

My wife has drawn the line at no Corvette, but I may test that. She can't possibly be any more upset about a 'vette that she was about the 1982 Ford Econoline van with a bucket on the roof (cable tv style - needed to trim some trees).

Old 01-15-2019, 10:18 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Exactly!

But, she got to like the car eventually. We took some nice trips in it, and so far it's gone up in value. I figured with her having a nice 3 week vacation in a warm sunny place, I should be off the hook. It kinda worked, and we still have the Ferrari.
Very Cool!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Kuwaiti
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am one of the lucky husbands, on our 35th wedding anniversary(2013) wife and I decided to up grade our 740il to 335I hard top convertible so we special ordered one for her with all the bells and weasels on 3/15/13. She also thought its time for me to have my dream car to in return so she and I started looking for my 911 and she helped in the proses and bought me my first 911 C2 6 speed convertible white with gray on 4/15/13 yes Tax day and she drive it on and off since then . She had delivery of her BMW on our actual anniversary date 5/14/2013. Since then We up graded her from 2013 to 2016 M4 hard top convertible also special ordered , Mean while We have been looking to up grad mine to clean stock 991 S convertible hopefully VERY soon .
Old 01-16-2019, 12:23 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife likes my car but hate's to go anywhere in it.
Just another reason to own one.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:57 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of great advice in here! My wife loves all the collector cars (have a classic dealership), but not any the 911s. She only drives supercharged AMG V8s, and can't understand why I'd have 911s with sixes lol..
Old 01-16-2019, 03:33 PM
gumanow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really great thread. Very helpful to us that are getting ready to purchase our first car P-car. I'm enjoying reading all of your stories. Please keep them coming.

BTW, I should've titled this thread, "Spouse Surprised" since I know that there are many women P-car owners and drivers out there. Sorry about the error on my part.

Gary
Old 01-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I bought my first 911 last year and my wife just hates it. She hates any kind of performance car. She drives a Saturn Vue and swears she will keep it forever, so offering her something newer doesn't work. Oh well, I guess there are going to be times I'm going to do things that won't make her happy!!

Quick Reply: Wife surprised